1967 F70 option - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 19, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: 1967 F70 option

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Ok, here's what I've gathered. I'm only reporting what a well known 66/67 collector has found:

Hope this helps.
Yes, that was from me!! Be sure to mention my name next time! Don't want to be accused of being an "unnamed source", LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
the rally wheels where DIPPED in primer black bath then sprayed argent silver on the outside with over spray though the slots. large runs and sags are to be seen
Some (or all ???) west coast wheels are gray on the back. See above. Since this is a CA car, supports my speculation posted by Dale above that Fremont cars would be gray too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM View Post
Disc brakes (RPO J50) would come with 14 x 5 rally wheels stamped "DA" - the SS396 would get the 14 x 6 rally wheels stamped "DG". Your F70 red line tires would be an additional option (RPO PW8) on a Malibu - disc brakes or not. It is possible the assembly plant just put the wrong wheels on the car for the J50 disc brakes and hence the "correct" F70 red stripe tires for the DG wheels.
There is some evidence that ordering F70 tires on a non-SS automatically bumped the wheel size up to 14x6. Bill Wente has an elcamino that came that way. However, I have what appears to be an original 1967 14x5 spare with original F70 tire. It is definitely an original 67 wheel with original paint, and definitely a 1967-only Firestone F70. However, it is possible that the tires were "upgraded" at the dealer (or soon after purchase of the car) and that it did not come from the factory in that combination. Given Bill's car and now this one, I would lean toward the theory that ordering F70 tires on a non-SS automatically bumped the wheel size up to 14x6.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 19, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Jeff I know that all the rally wheels for the St Louis Corvette plant until 82 where dipped primed Didnít realize there was two KH wheel pants

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 19, 8:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
Didnít realize there was two KH wheel pants

There were actually at least 8 KH plants at that time (the plant # is embedded in the KH logo on the tire side of the wheel, and some of them have an 8), but I don't know how many of those were actually making wheels for GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in