Beginning frame off '70 Chevelle - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Slick87gn

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 1:42 PM Thread Starter

Beginning frame off '70 Chevelle

I am in the early stages of a frame off restoration on my 1970 L78 Chevelle. Several questions here. I know this is a very general question but is there one specific supplier of repop parts that is better than the rest ? Is it possible to seek a discount from a supplier if you explain that you will be spending alot of money with them ? Those are my two main questions at this time, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 3:40 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Garage
Re: Beginning frame off '70 Chevelle

I don't see that much quality difference from one suppler to another. I shop around, but usually save the most by ordering from the closest supplier and save on the shipping costs. Good luck with your project. Post some pics.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 4:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

For sheet metal you are best to ask advice on each piece because the fitment varies and they all have issues. For the rest of the small parts they are all pretty much the same crap sold by different vendors at different prices.

Trying to get a discount??? Don't know about that. They have sales through the year that sometimes offer better prices. As far as I know, nobody has a frequent buyer program. You'll have to check each seller to see if they have a rewards program.

Taking the car apart is easy, putting it back together can get interesting. Bagging and labling small parts helps a lot. So does numerous pictures along the way. The factory assembly manual(AIM) and body service manual are must haves and will become your bible.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 19, 5:36 PM
Tech Team

Garage

For sheet metal if you can find a donor part that would be the best fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 19, 8:23 AM
Team Member
Roger

I can tell you this, neither the most expensive or the least expensive repop metal is worth the money. Find a donor. You'll be better off in the long run. And you'll save all the shipping costs from not having to ship those repop parts back to the supplier.
When I was looking for metal for my Elky, I contacted Desert Valley Auto Parts in Phoenix. They had everything I needed and it fit the first time.
If you insist in buying repop metal, some people have said you'll be more likely to get pieces to match up, fit right, if you buy multiple panels from the same manufacturer/supplier. Don't know, I've never tried that.
I'm the guy who goes out and buys lots of repop metal, just to discover that it doesn't fit. Then searches for months to find the same used OE panels.
Good luck with you frame off restoration.

1972 El Camino SS (sold)
1981 Camaro Z28
2005 Silverado 3500 LS
2013 Sierra 1500 SLT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 19, 8:32 AM

Big items hit a vendor that goes to an event close to you.
Order it and they should put it on the truck no shipping.
Saves a ton on no freight.

Also bag and tag EVERYTHING.

Just because you know where that little spring goes today a year from now you wont even if you can find it.

Just winding down on a 72 chevelle wagon.

My brain hurts

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in