1965 Chevelle, black between the trunk trim? - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

4Likes
  • 3 Post By jeffschevelle
  • 1 Post By SS327300

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 5:21 PM Thread Starter

1965 Chevelle, black between the trunk trim?

I've seen '65 Chevelles with and without the trunk painted black between the trunk trim. What determines this? I know the grille was blacked out if it was an SS but I've seen SSs with and without the black on the trunk. See pics for examples. I'm trying to decide if I want to paint mine black or not...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65_malibuss_rear.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	595992   Click image for larger version

Name:	1965-chevy-chevelle-ss-rear-end.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	595994  

1965 Chevelle

1972 Chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 7:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Re: 1965 Chevelle, black between the trunk trim?

All US- built 65 SS's were blacked out in that area from the factory, except Black cars and the dark Blue cars which were silver there. Malibu's did not receive that treatment.

Any factory SS you see without the blacked out cove (or silver cove for black or dark blue) have been incorrectly repainted.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 1:52 PM
Rob

My 65 SS is an original Danube Blue paint (Dark Blue). It still has the original black treatment around the trunk and around the tail lights.
I know its original as my Dad bought the car in Nov. 1964 so we know its history.

It was an early production and built at the Baltimore plant the second week of September 1964 if that helps any.

I included a reference photo...it's hard to see the difference, but the "cove" area is black and the trunk panel with "CHEVROLET" letters is Danube Blue to match the car.
Obviously the wheels are off a 69.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	596032  
69SHEVL likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 8:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Dale's site says that the Danube blue SS with silver cove is shown in the dealer brochures (as well as Cypress Green SS with silver cove), but has not been confirmed by him on an original car. So that might be uncertain. But black on all other colors of SS's is certain!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 19, 10:06 AM
Rob

Yep, it sure does say that. I had not seen that before so it might be a good idea to take a current photo and send it to Dale, maybe it will be useful.

Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 19, 5:11 PM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS327300 View Post
Yep, it sure does say that. I had not seen that before so it might be a good idea to take a current photo and send it to Dale, maybe it will be useful.

Thanks
Actually, the web site says, "Danube Blue SS with silver cove. Whether accurate or not I cannot say." And, "The Malibu SS emblems were retained on the quarter panels, the rear cove Malibu SS emblem was redesigned and moved, and the rear cove received the distinctive blacked-out area shown on all but Tuxedo Black where the cove was done in silver although dealer books of the era show Tuxedo Black, Danube Blue, and Cypress Green may fall into the silver category as well. Anyone with a photo, like one of those here of the rear cove area, of an original Danube Blue or Cypress Green is encouraged to send it along for confirmation."

If you can send me a good photo of the car I'll make the note. The ones I've seen in Danube Blue have been silver but that could have just been the owner's choice or could be some plants did the Danube Blue and/or Cypress Green a different way.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in