Delco Brake Booster Date/ID code decoding? - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LevonH

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Delco Brake Booster Date/ID code decoding?

Every 11" Delco power disc brake booster I have ever looked at have a date code and a 4 digit identification code stamp on little tabs on top/back of booster. Such as 9204, 1962, etc. I have a booster on my shelf that has 1962 on one of the tabs. Does anyone have a reference list that tells what 4 digit code booster came on what cars? I would like to know what this 1962 came on. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 10:15 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Delco Brake Booster Identification

anybody know this stuff?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 11:46 PM
Levon

Here's a start. Should have 2 codes 1 part number, 2 Julian date code. 1962 should be the 196th day of 72
Look for the second number as it will reveal what vehicle the booster is off of.
davewho1 likes this.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 5:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Re: Delco Brake Booster Date/ID code decoding?

if the font is very small it should be after 69 and if it is larger it is prior to 69. dont know if there is a list available for the applications

Andy
1969 Baltimore SS Chevelle
1969 Trim Tag Research (Ongoing)
More 1969 Chevelle data needed submit your info today

Information Security enforced
TC# 3135
ACES# 08305
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 19, 7:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
Here's a start. Should have 2 codes 1 part number, 2 Julian date code. 1962 should be the 196th day of 72
Look for the second number as it will reveal what vehicle the booster is off of.
I don't know about the later years, but 64-67 boosters all have a 3-digit date code, which only gives you the julian day of the year (but not the calendar year). The 4-digit stamp is (depending on the year) either a partial part number or an application code.

If I remember correctly, on 64-65 boosters the 4-digit code is actually the last 4 digits of the assembly line part number for the complete booster-master cylinder assembly (which arrived at the assembly plant from Delco Morraine as a unit), such that the 4-digit stamp will match the last 4 digits of the part number shown in the J50 section of the AIM. Need to double check that though.

I cannot remember if 66 was done like 64-65 above, or like 67 (see below).

On 67 boosters the 4-digit code does not correspond either to any assembly line part number for the complete booster-master cylinder assembly shown in the J50 or J52 section of the AIM, or to the service replacement part number of the booster itself shown in the parts books from 1967. Presumably the 4-digit code corresponds to the complete booster/MC assembly somehow, but it does not appear to be based on any part number.

I have Delco brake parts catalogs from 67 and another one from 1969 or 1970, that have gobs of really good data in them, but I have not had time to study them to see if they give the booster application codes for 67 and later years.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in