One or two side view mirror(s) ? - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage
One or two side view mirror(s) ?

Does anyone know what the reason why GM either had just one driver side mirror or both driver and passenger side mirrors. I have a 69 SS with just driver side mirror. Just wondering if adding the passenger side would be a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: One or two side view mirror(s) ?

In 69 the passenger side mirror was a Dealer-installed option. The vast majority of 69 Chevelles you see today did not have a right side mirror prior to their restoration. The 69's right side mirror looks nice but is pretty much useless.

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Like Bruce said, it's not on there from the factory assembly line, and not wrong to install.

If you are more comfortable driving with it, you have a valid explanation for having it on.

If it saves you from an accident, could be worth putting it on.

If you're going for a farm fresh, right off the assembly line car like mine, leave it off.

Mike

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AACA Senior Grand National
Good Guys Muscle Car of the Year Finalist

Eckler's Winternationals Platinum 1000 pts
2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional 1000 Point Award

NPD Choice Award All GM Oktoberfest
6 times Concours d'Elegance Best in Class

MCC Platinum & 2 times People's Choice Award & Carolina Chevelle Club Best in Show

2016 Midwest Chevelle Regional "Dean Call Award"
2015 OPGI Original Restored Award

MCACN Gold

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SHEVL View Post
Like Bruce said, it's not on there from the factory assembly line, and not wrong to install.

If you are more comfortable driving with it, you have a valid explanation for having it on.

If it saves you from an accident, could be worth putting it on.

If you're going for a farm fresh, right off the assembly line car like mine, leave it off.
Thanks. I was going more for a symmetrical look and if it was more of a dealer option for the SS.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 12:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kim

Garage

It's one thing I instinctively use and don't have on my car. yet. It bugs me not to have that right side line of vision, even if it is limited. I just got a set of Morris mirrors, and they are very nice, so I'm putting them on my '67.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

When my car was restored in 15, we used a Malibu donor door since my no mirror original door had some bad rust on the bottom. The Malibu door had the holes for the mirror and this was prior to my Team Chevelle education. So when ask if I wanted a passenger side mirror, I said sure, not knowing any better. Since I've learned that the factory never installed a passenger side mirror on a SS, I have fixed it.

Edit to add: I don't miss it at all. I have the top down most of the time and a lane check is never a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_125045.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	595344  

70 LS5 convertible
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 2:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12stones View Post
When my car was restored in 15, we used a Malibu donor door since my no mirror original door had some bad rust on the bottom. The Malibu door had the holes for the mirror and this was prior to my Team Chevelle education. So when ask if I wanted a passenger side mirror, I said sure, not knowing any better. Since I've learned that the factory never installed a passenger side mirror on a SS, I have fixed it.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/Chevelles_2016/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/IMG]

Edit to add: I don't miss it at all. I have the top down most of the time and a lane check is never a problem.
Well, I guess it's a coin toss now. Maybe I'll check out some cars at cruise nights to see if I like it one way or another before I start drilling into the door.
Thanks for the insight fella's.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 3:43 PM
Tech Team
Mike

My 70 SS never had one but I put one on. I like the symmetrical look better and actually do use the mirror.
NickeyChevelle and Pats70ss like this.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 5:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-H-Mike View Post
My 70 SS never had one but I put one on. I like the symmetrical look better and actually do use the mirror.
I understand and can appreciate your view on symmetry and function. My goal was to have the car be as close to original as from the factory as possible.

70 LS5 convertible
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 7:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

My Monte needs to back into two driveways, one at my home and another at it's storage. My home driveway is shared and I need to get close to a concrete wall. I REALLY NEED a right side mirror.

I have a left side painted bullet mirror and want the same for the right. There are ZERO that match the level to the ground mounting surface on the door. On Montes, they were only available on Canadian built cars-and they were factory installed. I'm still looking for one.

I would believe that a Canadian built Chevelle could have had a factory installed right side mirror.
71350SS likes this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 9:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

If you do decide to go with the double mirrors, invest in a set of Morris Mirrors for your car. Also order the convex mirror glass for the right side and you'll be up to par with good vision and high quality mirrors that don't have to be readjusted everytime you close the door.

They are a little expensive, but well worth the price of admission.
shovelrick likes this.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 9:49 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelteredv View Post
It's one thing I instinctively use and don't have on my car. yet. It bugs me not to have that right side line of vision, even if it is limited. I just got a set of Morris mirrors, and they are very nice, so I'm putting them on my '67.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
If you do decide to go with the double mirrors, invest in a set of Morris Mirrors for your car. Also order the convex mirror glass for the right side and you'll be up to par with good vision and high quality mirrors that don't have to be readjusted everytime you close the door.

They are a little expensive, but well worth the price of admission.
Sorry to hijack the thread. Did either of you guys get the blue (anti-glare) glass? If so, how do you like it?

Looking at the web site it looks like they all come with a convex glass on the right side.

66 CHEVELLE
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 10:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread. Did either of you guys get the blue (anti-glare) glass? If so, how do you like it?

Looking at the web site it looks like they all come with a convex glass on the right side.
The blue anti glare just came out after I bought my last set, so I did not get to try it. Also, I had to purchase the convex glass for $14.00 and install it myself at the time.

https://www.morrisclassic.com/collections/mirrors.... Here's a link to Morris Classics. If you do a search for Morris Mirrors you get another company that sells house mirrors.
senna likes this.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Sorry to hijack the thread..... again

I have a excellent factory mirror on my drivers side and I would love to find one similar excellent factory mirror for the passenger side. Is the passenger side mirror the same mirror as the driver side? (one mirror is either / or)

66 Malibu......on it's way back to life as a BB
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 19, 10:46 PM
Brad

Garage

I just got my 1966 out of paint jail. While it was there, I added the passenger side mirror and eliminated the antenna. I find myself using this mirror more than I thought I would. Mine are Chevy logo mirrors from OPG and work great. I highly recommend adding this for safety as well as symmetrical looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19C05327-3460-4F3F-81A3-FCC6E1D72014.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	595392  
red68chevL likes this.

1966 Chevelle Malibu 2 Door Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in