One or two side view mirror(s) ? - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 1:56 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: One or two side view mirror(s) ?

This thread has inspired me to make a mental note to check out how many 69s have passenger side mirrors while I am at the Northern Ohio Chevelle Show. This is the year of the 69 and they will have their fill of 69s.
I did the same one year at Chevellabration for 69s with bumper guards. My 69 originally had bumper guards. I wasn't really liking the looks of that option so I checked out all the 69s at the show. Can't recall how many were there but I would guess approx fifty 1969 Chevelles. Of those 4 had bumper guards. Shortly thereafter I sent my bumpers out for restoration. Had the holes in the rear bumper filled in. The front bumper didn't require holes for the guards.
Can't decide whether I like the look of the Chevelle better with one or two mirrors.
Someone earlier mentioned a 69 Camaro mirror is the same but I don't think 69 Camaros came with passenger side mirrors either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 1:57 PM
Tech Team
Billy

Rectangular Clear Shot version 2 mirrors now come with the
Convex lens in the passenger side mirror if you order the full set.
IMHO the reason that GM didn't put a mirror on the Passenger Side is that
you couldn't see the lane beside you , only 2 lanes over which is useless.
Our mirrors are designed to angle in enough so you can see beside your car
and the lane directly next to you, allowing you to change lanes safely.

Thx, Billy
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 4:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

My 1967 El Camino only has driver's side mirror. I wanted to put a 2nd one on, but after driving it for a couple years and thousands of miles, I realize I don't need it. Yes it would probably be better with it, but it is fine without it. I can see everything on that side no problem, no blind spots for a car to hide on the highway. On my 2015 Charger, and my wife's XT5, I would be afraid to drive without the side mirrors. Visibility in my El Camino is MUCH better than new cars. Thanks to those close and small pillars that will probably collapse if I ever get in a serious accident. I like the blind spot alerts on new cars, and I really like tilt down mirrors when in reverse. Actually reverse is the only real thing I miss a passenger side mirror for.
IF I wanted a 2nd mirror, I would probably get 2 new ones that matched. I can't think of the last time a car was made with door mount chrome mirrors to use as a donor. My 1980 Sunbird only had 1 mirror, but if you got 2, they were the body color sport mirrors. Maybe one of the mid 1980s B Body cars.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 4:42 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisclassic View Post
you couldn't see the lane beside you ,
I seriously think the reason GM didn't put a mirror on the passenger side is so they could save $4.00 per car. They were not big on safety items back then unless forced to install them such as seat belts, headrests, etc.
blue_69_malibu and shovelrick like this.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 5:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
I seriously think the reason GM didn't put a mirror on the passenger side is so they could save $4.00 per car. They were not big on safety items back then unless forced to install them such as seat belts, headrests, etc.
ALL '66 Chevelles came "standard" with the driver's door mirror AND seat belts, but I don't think either were mandated (seat belts mandated in 1968)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 5:47 PM
Tech Team
Billy

The reason is they would of had to redesign the mirror so you
could see a vehicle on the Passenger Side. Our Patented Mirror
does this very well.

Thx Billy
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 19, 5:48 PM
Tech Team
Billy

Tony,
All GM cars built from Feb 66 up had the top 3 point mount in them.
All cars manufactured Jan 1 1968 forward were federally mandated to
have 3 points from the factory.
Billy

Last edited by morrisclassic; Jun 10th, 19 at 5:52 PM. Reason: text
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 7:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

I would love to have a passenger side mirror on my Malibu, but from a thread about this a while back, itís not that easy on a finished car.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.

post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 9:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

I have mirrors on both sides of my 70 and love em. The passenger side one help me a lot when backing down my driveway along side the house......don't wanna run over her flowers......heaven forbid......LOL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-8-17 (5).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	595846  

TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 10:05 PM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

I modified and color matched 2015 Camaro mirrors and love being able to see. The only bad thing is when I was test fitting and pulled into the garage I caught the passenger side as I never had to clear it before.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's

post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 19, 11:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

I re-skinned both doors on my 67. When removing the OEM driver side skin, the mirror mount location had a reinforcing bracket spot welded to the inside. I re-used it on the new skin and fabbed a duplicate for the passenger side and welded it in. I haven't drilled the passenger door yet, still thinking about it before it gets painted.
shovelrick likes this.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 8:02 AM
Tech Team
Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
If you do decide to go with the double mirrors, invest in a set of Morris Mirrors for your car. Also order the convex mirror glass for the right side and you'll be up to par with good vision and high quality mirrors that don't have to be readjusted everytime you close the door.

They are a little expensive, but well worth the price of admission.
I wish I knew about them when I restored my wagon. I back into tight spaces and a mirror on the right is essential. I will be ordering on Monday. Do they attach to the factory mounting bracket?
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 8:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

I added a pass side mirror IIRC after paint and added a small 1/8"X 1/2"X3" backing plate with JB weld, drilled & tapped it but bought el cheapo mirrors, when these fall apart I'm buying Morris mirrors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_121536.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	595894   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM07522.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	595896  
Gunn317 likes this.

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 9:07 AM
Tech Team

I still just have the factory drivers side mirror. Its so small I really never even use it. Maybe if I drive it more in congested areas I may consider changing out and adding a passenger side one, but I'm out in the rural sticks so i really dont need them.
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 9:18 AM
Tech Team
Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisclassic View Post
Rectangular Clear Shot version 2 mirrors now come with the
Convex lens in the passenger side mirror if you order the full set.
you couldn't see the lane beside you , only 2 lanes over which is useless.
Our mirrors are designed to angle in enough so you can see beside your car
and the lane directly next to you, allowing you to change lanes safely.

Thx, Billy
Can I just purchase a Convex mirror for the passenger side. I have a remote adjustment mirror on the drivers side of my 72 Wagon which works great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in