68 Dash Bezel gap 'normal'??? - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 5:20 PM Thread Starter

Question 68 Dash Bezel gap 'normal'???

Here is a picture of the new bezel installed (Ausley's Chevelle). The top of the gap near the dash pad is approximately 1/8" and then widens to about a 1/4" near the bottom.
Is this gap considered "normal" for a '68?

Kent
'68 Malibu ZZ502/502 T400/GV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Dash Bezel.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	590862  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 6:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Re: 68 Dash Bezel gap 'normal'???

No answer for you, but following. I just took my dash out a few days ago and will be installing an aftermarket bezel when I get home next week. I’m guessing all of these are made by the same manufacturer. I’m hoping to have a better outcome.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 7:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage

The gap is not right. I had the same issue the first time I installed a dash. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but the dash went in fine (correctly) the second time. If at first you don't succeed...

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 19, 8:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

I just reinstalled my dash, using a new american autowire dash harness. The bundle of wires that comes down over the left side of the speedo housing was not allowing my bezel to seat properly, it had the same gap as yours. I messed with it for a while before i figured out what was causing the gap. I even mocked up the old bezel and harness to see if i could spot the problem. I had to lay under the dash with a flashlight to see the problem. I have found that the side to side gaps are uneven, at least on my car, the left side was wider than the right. Terry
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

No, not normal. Are all of the rest of the screws tightened?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

700R4
This is how we roll:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

You cannot tell from the photo - but the dash screws along the passenger side, across the top of the bezel and down the drivers side are installed/tightened. The dash is fully seated in the opening and there is no wiring harness installed. There is simply no adjustment to allow that gap to "even out" from top to bottom. The ONLY screws that are NOT installed is the very bottom screw on drivers side, and across the bottom of the bezel.

Also, as a side note - I needed to install a couple small washers (for each of the 5 screws across the top) between the top of the dash bezel and the metal dash frame - to help "push" the dash bezel down for the screws to better align with the holes on each side of the bezel.

My only option to correctly fix this fitment issue appears to be to do some extensive metal work...

Kent
'68 Malibu ZZ502/502 TH400/GV
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 1:24 PM
Tech Team

Gap on mine is pretty uniform. might need to waller out some holes, add some washers on others....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15544849087551414923998168575289_1554484932412.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	590956   Click image for larger version

Name:	15544849486994036602687848820629_1554484965457.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	590958  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 4:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeSixty8 View Post
Gap on mine is pretty uniform. might need to waller out some holes, add some washers on others....
Thank you for the photos - however, your dash bezel appears to be an original GM, whereas the one I installed is a new reproduction purchased from ausley’s Chevelle. The issue is still that no amount of shifting or spacing is going to get that wedge shaped gap - to even itself out.

If the gap was consistent from top-to-bottom, then perhaps the gap could be lessened by “centering” the bezel in the dash opening.

Anyone using this new dash bezel have a better fitment on their ‘68 ? Sure would like to hear from you.

Kent
‘68 Malibu ZZ502/502 TH400/GV
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 19, 5:13 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Not a 68 but a 69. I've had 2 of the repo bezels and one the fit was bad and the second while better was still not good. Only suggestion I cN give is to get all the screws started and then tighten them each a little at a time. Almost like one has to stretch it to fit. My recent was Golden Legion as was the first one. If you just can't get to fit try and source an original that is restored. Couple members on this site restore and resell. Also give Ausleys feedback. If they don't get feedback on poor fitting products nothing will change.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 11:48 AM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

I installed a repro only because of the stupid cost to refinish but I have to say mine looks and fits great. Just remember to have the top screws loose so the bottom screws can be installed. My original and my repro look almost completely identical. I attached a pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chevelle dash pic.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	591002  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 2:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the photo. Yes that does look good!...and the gap looks consistent from top to bottom.

Perhaps my car was assembled on an "off day" back in '68? The new bezel looks so much better than the stock bezel - at this point I'm gonna "live with it".

Thanks for the suggestions and support.

Kent
'68 Malibu ZZ502/502 TH400/GV
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 8:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

I’m back.... I was finally in a position to test fit my aftermarket dash bezel about a half hour ago. Fit was flush, just like the original. Brand is Golden Legion from Taiwan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 462 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.