66 dash lense - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 19, 1:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
66 dash lense

Does anyone know if they reproduce the dash lense (floor shift with gauges) for a '66, WITH the chrome accents? I have one, but those accents are just silver paint... I have a really nice floor shift original, but it has the clock-stem hole...

I do have one repro that looked like "chrome", but just my luck, its for a 3-speed automatic column-shift (the speed "numbers" are also "greener" that the factory ones).

I also noticed both of the repros that I have, have the "1967" layout (the spacing differs on the speed "numbers" compared to 1966).

Everything I see advertised says "66/67"...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage
Re: 66 dash lense

My 1967 has silver paint, I always assumed it was factory and was told it wasn't. Either way, I prefer it to the overly bright reproduction chrome.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

this guy in MN restores 66 dashes, maybe he can help you.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/c...813610578.html

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 5:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Why is it all the nice ones I have are PRNDL with a clock hole LOL!

The only repro I've seen has silver paint and also the numerals are "too green". I've had a floor shift, no clock hole lens at the premier dash resto business in the country for some time, they have several tries at the chrome, no luck. I was lucky to find one with good chrome, just buffed it and repainted the numerals. Hobby Lobby sells an artist paint that is a perfect match for the numerals.

Has anyone had success with a plastic plater on these??

Good Luck!

A few '67s and a '66
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 7:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Maybe having a brain fart but didn't they all get a clock hole and if not used just a plug? I've got a couple '66 lenses that way, maybe the '67 lens came without the hole???
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 19, 9:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Maybe having a brain fart but didn't they all get a clock hole and if not used just a plug? I've got a couple '66 lenses that way, maybe the '67 lens came without the hole???
Clock hole with a plug happened with idiot light cluster (with a blank in place of the clock) and console with clock. Only application without clock hole was gauges cluster.

A few '67s and a '66
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 19, 8:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I have several originals, mostly '66 ( some have the PRNDL, most have the clock hole), but they all look like chrome... Its only the repro that looks silver...

I also sucks, because I have 3 "face plates" for "gauges (with the single "Bright" and "Brake" lenses), but I only found two of the main back plates for gauges... I actually have three sets of the light tunnels for "gauges" as well... I don't think I have another box...

I also have thee sets of the gauges (all nice, with one new- and NOT the conversion set)...

Debating if I should "modify" a non-gauge back panel for my car (back will never be seen once installed), and then have two sets to sell... Or use a "real" gauge backing plate in my car, and then try to sell a bastardized gauge setup...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

The reproduction you want is available in the 66 version with the proper number spacing and without the clock stem hole. It is a very nice reproduction, the only problem being that the numbers are too green.

It seems that the vendors don't sell both 66 and 67 versions, they sell one or the other, and label them 66/67. But both years are available. Just have search
for someone selling the one you need.

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 11:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Here is an eBay item number for the lense want. 302951697157
Here is a photo of an original and a reproduction. Original should have chrome trim, and white numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190409_081807507_1554824034384.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	591238  

My Build Thread:

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 2:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Here is a better photo of the 1966 stick shift with guages lense. I should have removed in from the plastic envelope for the previous photo. It has very nice chrome appearing details with the non- correct green numbers.

Also, be aware that very nice repros of the 1966 brake and bright lenses are now available on eBay from Mark's Gauges. They also have replacement green lenses for the turn signals; good enough if you don't have anything else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190409_113846813_1554835948533.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	591252  

My Build Thread:

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 12:46 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Your comment about using artist paint is interesting.
I wonder if the green numbers in the reproduction lenses could be stripped and repainted? I am willing to risk my new repro to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
Why is it all the nice ones I have are PRNDL with a clock hole LOL!

The only repro I've seen has silver paint and also the numerals are "too green". I've had a floor shift, no clock hole lens at the premier dash resto business in the country for some time, they have several tries at the chrome, no luck. I was lucky to find one with good chrome, just buffed it and repainted the numerals. Hobby Lobby sells an artist paint that is a perfect match for the numerals.

Has anyone had success with a plastic plater on these??

Good Luck!

My Build Thread:

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 19, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill Wente

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamino View Post
I wonder if the green numbers in the reproduction lenses could be stripped and repainted? I am willing to risk my new repro to try that.
This was a perfect match for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture0410190922_1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	591308  

A few '67s and a '66
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 3:10 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Hmmm... Maybe some "painters tape", an exacto knife and nail polish remover? I'd juts be worried that any paint stripper might damage the clear plastic... Or maybe just a thin blade or pick to scratch off the green, assuming its just paint... And then recoat with white...

Maybe I'll have to pick up one of those Ebay lenses before I forget about it...

Looking at Chevellestuff.net, I noticed the 66 and 67 speedos have different spacing on the "lines"... I was thinking of a fresh new repro speedo, but I wonder if the spacing is correct for '66? I have quite a few speedos, but most are worn and faded...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 3:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Also, be aware that very nice repros of the 1966 brake and bright lenses are now available on eBay from Mark's Gauges.
Thanks, but YIKES! $40 for the two lense inserts... I don't think mine are too bad, I think I can reuse them... I hope...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 7:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

They're on sale this week for under $30. I think they are testing the market to see how much they can get.

I haven't figured out how to strip the green numbers off of the repro, but Isopropyl alcohol using q-tips and toothpick works good for my original. I will try something else on the repro. The faded Jade paint looks great. I tried making the Jade lighter but the original looks better.

This photo shows the repro on top, the original with no clock hole in center, and a nice original with clock hole on the bottom. The 120 is the faded Jade and the 110 is the lighter paint I mixed. The faded Jade is a great match for the good original on the bottom.

I will try some metallic to repair the chrome, and continue to try stripping the letters on the repro.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190412_162413551_1555112609689.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	591444  

My Build Thread:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in