color coded glass fuses - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 5:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Re: color coded glass fuses

of some of the things I seen and herd people to do to make the car 100% of the way it rolled of the line the fuse deal is very very mild and easy to do. and most of it people will never see
69SHEVL and roadster601 like this.

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 8:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff

If you really want to be picky, when was your car built? As best I have been able to determine, the color-coding of the fuses started some time in the latter part of 1967 production, and they were phased in, with the clear ones being used too until they were all gone.

So an early 67 will have all clear fuses. A very late 67 will have all 3 colors of coded fuses. And in the middle could have some colored and some not.

Jeff Helms
-65 Z16 Survivor (Red/black/white int.) (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-65 Z16 drag car, unrestored (Red/Red)
-65 SS Convertible (Red)
-65 300 2-dr Wagon, Modified (Tuxedo Black)

-66 SS L78 Coupe (Marina Blue), unrestored
-66 SS L34/M20 Survivor Coupe (Aztec Bronze) - 'Vintage Legend' Certified (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
-66 SS Convertible (Marina Blue)- "LOADED"

-67 SS L78 Survivor Coupe (Grenada Gold)
-67 SS L34/M21 Survivor Coupe (Tahoe Turquoise)
-67 SS L34/M20 Convertible (Bolero Red)
-67 ElCamino L35/M20 (Butternut Yellow)
-67 Concours Station Wagon (Mountain Green)

-67 Camaro SS350 Survivor (Grenada Gold)- 'Vintage Legend' Certified by the American Camaro Association
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 9:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Glad i’ve Got a 66.

post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 9:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Jeff is this only true for A-bodies

post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 11:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb View Post
It’s the little details that separate the men from the boys in a correct restoration
I know, I know but when it gets to the fuses!!… … what's next?? Is it going to be to have the original air in the tires??
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster601 View Post
claude its called restoration, theres a guy in canada selling fuses for 85 us dollars for1 fuse talk about abusing the system, i have all the time in the world ill get themthanks for your input
I'm not condemning guys who want these "striped fuses"… it's just that I can't believe how far these guys are willing to go…
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
If you really want to be picky, when was your car built? As best I have been able to determine, the color-coding of the fuses started some time in the latter part of 1967 production, and they were phased in, with the clear ones being used too until they were all gone.

So an early 67 will have all clear fuses. A very late 67 will have all 3 colors of coded fuses. And in the middle could have some colored and some not.
It makes me think…Where do you look to know which ones are right for your car?… I don't even know if there is a listing detailing which ones are correct for each year…

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 9:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_66SS View Post
Glad i’ve Got a 66.
I'm glad I don't care. I could go insane. What is next, checking for factory torque on fasteners? As I have said before, I'm not knocking anyone that goes to this detail, or cares about the exact details. I'm just glad I'm not one of them. I couldn't afford to be, and I don't think I would enjoy the car as much as a car, more of as say a valuable piece of art.
davewho1 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

ED........... You are correct! On all the small fasteners I use the " Inch Pound " 1/4" drive torque wrench. The wheels on both of my 70s are torqued at 63 Lbs.
One of the main reasons that the 69-70 SS Wheels ( and others) are in short supply, Is due to the fact many and most were installed and removed with an " Air Gun ".
Most all fasteners have a torque value. When you go beyond the torque value you can due some damage. Pulled threads,, Stretch the fastener,, Metal screws = Oh $h!t,
Two of my best friends are torque wrenches and die/electric grease.
Bob
NOTE: Metal Screws.....
Hole to big for the metal screw, Get a few BRASS barrel clips. Insert one in the " oversized " hole and you are good to go, Using the Org. screw.
davewho1 likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
lou

Send a message via AIM to roadster601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
I'm glad I don't care. I could go insane. What is next, checking for factory torque on fasteners? As I have said before, I'm not knocking anyone that goes to this detail, or cares about the exact details. I'm just glad I'm not one of them. I couldn't afford to be, and I don't think I would enjoy the car as much as a car, more of as say a valuable piece of art.
Ed im one of them but i do use my cars as you do, i been restoring and enjoying cars i restored for about 40 yrs, i agree whats next the air in the tires heres a story just came back from a ncrs meet in Pa.went to a local show just to hang out for a few hrs. i over hear 2 of the judges saying look behind the folding seats on the corvettes theres dust low and behold i was hit on dust behind the seat nothing else i was amused, these show give oportunity to other guys who take pride in there work as i do still do. just a few days before i got a top flight at a ncrs show.
like jeff has many cars knows alot, im sure he worked on alot of them thats ok too its a personal best to restore a car thats just ME, yes i think air in tires and torque on fastners etc. is a bit extreme for me hey i survived a NCRS inspection on my 67 corvette and did well, i restored it myself yes i still enjoy it. if you restored cars im guessing you have its like bringing back a piece of history that happened in my life, yes it expencive but like everything its a hobby. it the search why do you think theres swap meets. i do take my time not rushing to go to shows i have slowed down, hey life is to short and i really enjoy what i do i dont know what others feel but thats just me.. so glass fuses with color falls in the air in tire thing, but its a search for me to find whats right and to restore, it is the fit and finish of that particular part only the person who just replace parts does not know not saying its a bad thing but the guy whos bending polishing grinding fitting parts is great to me its a pride thing nothing more than that. not trying to impress anyone but myself to say i got it is a good thing. how many award etc. do i need/want. the cars we restore are the dreams of automotive design engineeres who hope someone liked there thoughts thats for any car and i like alot of them, so as Ed says enjoy your ride i do, hey sorry for this long write up and if my spelling and grammer is off what can i say so to all HAPPY MOTORING
davewho1 likes this.

lou
post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 12:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Hey Guys:
With all due respect, My one owner 70-LS-5/ M-22 El Camino is kinda sorta correct in most of the details. Then on the other hand my 1970 SS 454 Nomad Sta. Wgn. is kinda like the " After birth of a bastard rat ".
First its not a 70, Its a 1971 body, the front clip is a 70 El Camino, Why?? It was punched in the nose when I got it. ( I had a lot of El Camino parts) The rear end is a 1969. The SS dash is from my 70 El Camino. ( I repaired all the cracks and broken pieces) The engine block is an 83 the heads & intake are from ( swap meet stuff) , Along with the 700R4. The 4 row rad is from a 71 Caddy.
HEI Dist, Aftermarket cruise control, The C-60 is converted to R-134 with a 10 Cyl. Alum. compressor. Jeep G.C. steering box. The Q-Jet is from a Chevy???
Relays on the H. Lights and other " Stuff ".
Its my fun driver. I am very lucky to have two 70s. For the most part , I do what I do to make ME happy.
Life is a " One Way Street ", Enjoy the hell out of it.
Bob
davewho1 and roadster601 like this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 1:07 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Just put any type fuses in there and tell everybody they,re original.
Nobody can say they're wrong because nobody knows what it did have.

post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 2:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Just put any type fuses in there and tell everybody they,re original.
Nobody can say they're wrong because nobody knows what it did have.
Or, if you value putting your car back to assembly line correct, keep asking the right questions and ignore those that don't place value in assembly line restorations and really have no business commenting on restoration threads. Those comments should be reserved to "bench" and all opinions could be expressed or ignored.
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 2:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

So, as for the fuses, what do original late 1967 fuses actually look like? It is something to keep a look out for apparently, and I had an opportunity to look recently on another 1967, but never considered it.
I am off to the internet to look now as well.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 2:59 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
Or, if you value putting your car back to assembly line correct, keep asking the right questions and ignore those that don't place value in assembly line restorations and really have no business commenting on restoration threads. Those comments should be reserved to "bench" and all opinions could be expressed or ignored.
That's fine if someone exists that really knows what was in the car when it came from the factory but nobody knows for sure so it makes sense to just say yes, they are the original fuses and who's going to say they're not?

post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 3:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I wasn't there to stick my finger in His wounds or my hand His side but still believe.
Survivor cars are the blueprint to assembly line restorations. Not so tough to understand unless you just don't want to.
67since67 likes this.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 19, 3:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

the fuses are made by Buss and are just glass fuses with a painted stripe for each amperage fuse. red was 10 amp, I think white was 20 amp and so on. its nothing special. EVERY GM car got the same ones. the question now is when did GM start to use them in production and was it the same time frame in all plants

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in