Need a 69 expert - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 7:21 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Re: Need a 69 expert

That is a similar argument that I have been given by some of my Chevelle buddies. However, this car was so original when I got it that it is just too hard to say that it was there once and now gone. I just cannot see ANY signs of it EVER being there.
Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Musclecar Restoration and Design
Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Specializing in the LS6 Chevelle and Hi po Chevrolets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 8:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

I've got 4 examples here. 11C KC car, no plastic, longer vent hoses. 3C KC car, no plastic, longer "". 5C Fremont car, plastic merge valve and short hoses. 7A Fremont car, same.
I've studied the AIM, it only means that the directive and parts order have changed. It doesn't mean from that date the cars were assembled that way. Along with any research on what's correct, it always falls back on what we find ON the cars.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 9:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tedford View Post
Without the plastic vent piece on the end of the tubes, dirt and water could run right into the gas tank. I can't imagine the cars coming from the factory without this piece. There is a piece of foam rubber inside to act as a separator.
There is suppose to be a foam insert that would help keep that out. Many repops don't have them. Think the only place I have seen them is in the inline boob catalog. Some guys have gotten lawn mower air filter foam and used that as a substitute.

I not sure if the original hoses had any protection. Another question for the owners of these cars.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 18, 9:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheveslakr View Post
I've got 4 examples here. 11C KC car, no plastic, longer vent hoses. 3C KC car, no plastic, longer "". 5C Fremont car, plastic merge valve and short hoses. 7A Fremont car, same.
I've studied the AIM, it only means that the directive and parts order have changed. It doesn't mean from that date the cars were assembled that way. Along with any research on what's correct, it always falls back on what we find ON the cars.
That's the best part of this thread. You guys with the cars, build dates, build location with the descriptions of what you have. Pictures would complete the package.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 5:58 AM
Senior Tech Team
Joe

IIRC, mine was built in CA. It had the vent, tank was replaced at some point, been a few years but fairly sure the clamp secured the hoses not the vent filter.

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 9:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage

Somewhere in my 40+ year pile of junk is one of these plastic pieces. I don't have our old Chevelles any more but do remember that our COPO car had one. It was a right near the end of production build. Original or not, if I were going to be driving one of these cars, I would be adding the plastic piece to keep dirt out of the fuel system.
NickeyChevelle likes this.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 9:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Keith

Garage

A lot of restoration work on anything involves a best guess in many situations. Enough history brought together sometimes clarifies things but not always. Part of the fun of doing this sort of thing.
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Well I think by accident I have proven the way our car came originally. I removed the hoses and they are hard as a rock but unique in inside/outside diameter and the fact that they are ribbed so I opted to carefully clean them up and hopefully reuse them.

* I measured the length of the hoses and they are approximately 8" long so I believe these to be longer than the hoses that came on the cars with the vents.

* There is a witness mark where the original clamp was placed onto the hose, shown in the photo with me holding it and is far enough away that if you added the vent to that it would just flop over.

* The bracket that holds the rubber hoses is different than the one that Albert Galdi so graciously sent me is different and is designed to hold the vent not the hoses.

* The best part was, I cleaned the hoses and then blew them out. Upon doing so this foam insert came out. It was originally one piece and was 2.5-3" long when new. They would NOT have put that in the hose as well as the vent so this pretty much confirms this 03A Baltimore car never came with one.

Thanks for everyone's input. It is great to hear so many variances and differences. It is what makes the hobby fun.
Rick

Hopefully this information will be helpful to others in the future and is why research and documentation is so important. Too many times people say that the vast majority of cars are built one way so they restore them that way so others will not question it. Not me! I restore them as I found them with very rare exception. Right, wrong or otherwise that is how they were built and can change on the same day in the same plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5326.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	579188   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5325.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	579190   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_IMG_5327.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	579192  

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 9:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Rick
I have a 6d Baltimore SS convertible that was extremely original when I purchased it (including original spring ring battery cables , original front and rear springs with tags, original shocks etc) my car had the same bracket as yours and did not have the plastic vent. I believe my original gas tank has the hoses still on it and I will be checking it in the next couple of days.. I will report back as soon as I do. Thanks for the great pics
Rick_Nelson likes this.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 18, 9:25 PM
Woj
Senior Tech Team
Phil

Rick,

I have seen your configuration on multiple Chevelles in the past. Your configuration is normal, and yes, there would have been a foam insert in the tubes to keep crud out, and pressure equalized. Maybe it was a supply issue or a production order that would explain why some got the plastic vent and others just went with hose and foam. Either way, I'd consider going back to what you had and using a cut to order lawn mower filter to stuff in the rubber hoses when you reassemble.

Phil Woj.
Rick_Nelson and malibuss67 like this.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 18, 12:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ole

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob4 View Post
Rick
I have a 6d Baltimore SS convertible that was extremely original when I purchased it (including original spring ring battery cables , original front and rear springs with tags, original shocks etc) my car had the same bracket as yours and did not have the plastic vent. I believe my original gas tank has the hoses still on it and I will be checking it in the next couple of days.. I will report back as soon as I do. Thanks for the great pics
Very interesting, Rob, that your "extremely original" 6D Baltimore '69 should have been assembled in a different manner than my 71-dated Baltimore '69. Perhaps it is due to engine option, as my '69 L78, of course, was equipped with a single 3/8" tank to fuel pump line, rather than a supply and return line as L35 and L34 cars were equipped with.

My car, although frame off restored when I bought it, still retained much of its original fuel system, suspension, brake and steering equipment. Why these items were not replaced during the restoration is anyone's guess, but I am thinking the restorer wanted to leave in place as many of this low-mile car's original pieces as he could. Some years later, after I took possession of the car, I decided to replace worn and dated original components so that I could safely drive and enjoy the car. Some of these components were in the fuel system, including the tank, sending unit, rear-to-front fuel line and the tank vent hoses. The tank vent hoses, clamps and plastic vent were quite aged and definitely looked original to the car. Given the hoses were hard and cracked I replaced them, even though I was unable to find hose of identical size and wall thickness. I did, however, retain the clamps and the aged, yellowed plastic vent. When disassembling the vent system, I noted there was no foam in the 'outlet' leg, so I cut a piece of foam and stuffed it into that leg. I wish now that I had taken photos of the original set-up, but sadly I did not.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 11:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Happy Thanksgiving

I was able to take some pictures of my original gas tank this morning . here are the pictures. if you look at the close up of the hoses you can see where the clamp left a mark...confirming that this car did not have the vent (same as Rick's)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1969 gas tank 7.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	579306   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 gas tank 1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	579308   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 gas tank 2.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	579310   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 gas tank 3.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	579312  

Name:	1969 gas tank 4.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	579314  
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 11:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

here are the rest of the pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1969 gas tank 5.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	579316   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 gas tank 6.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	579318   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 gas tank 8.jpg
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	579320  
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 18, 11:43 PM
Woj
Senior Tech Team
Phil

Nice pix Rob. Thanks for posting.

One important note, and that is to get hoses the fit tightly to the tank and that a decent amount of foam goes into the hoses. If and when these leak, it is right onto the exhaust tail pipe. I've had this before, potentially dangerous. If you see it, you will get concerned for sure.

Good info.

Phil Woj.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 18, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Rob, I also noticed that you have unequal length hoses which would also likely confirm the lack of a vent. Thanks for posting those photos.

Pleasant Plains, IL
217-626-(CARS)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 553 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.