Restoring a 67 "138" Convertible - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 18, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Restoring a 67 "138" Convertible

Hi,

I just scored a great find, a very rust-free 67 original SS convertible that came with 4 speed, bucket seats and Marina Blue paint. It still has the original 12 bolt but the engine/trans are gone.

I was able to buy it minus the engine/trans for 25k which I think is a great deal considering it's ready to paint and there is no rust in the quarters, doors, fenders and floorpan. The car must have been a garage queen.

I want to update the brakes, steering, etc while keeping a totally stock look.
It has front drum brakes and manual steering! Amazing that they are untouched.

I have a 454/T56 ready to drop in. The 454 will be badged a 396.

Will it hurt the value much if I change the stock black interior to blue or white ?
Marina blue paint with a white or light blue interior is more appealing than black to me.

Pics :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PS view.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	574078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear view.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	574080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk floor.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	574082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear seat.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	574084  

Name:	Rear view 12 bolt.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	574086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl tag.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	574088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rust free floorpan.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	574090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine bay 2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	574092  

Name:	Floorpan.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	574094  
shovelrick likes this.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: Restoring a 67 "138" Convertible

Beth great find

But I see a few things that would make me question if it is a True SS396 car
1. Dash has the fake Wood Grain strip on it instead of the Black Wrinkle one
2. The Rivets on the Firewall Plate seem not to be Original types and that Plate seems to new looking

just MHO and I could be totally out in Left Field
the heckler likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:03 AM
Senior Tech Team

Congratulations on your find. I’d install whatever color interior and top you like. It’s your car, build it as you like. If it hurts the value, it likely won’t be significantly.

Steve R
1966_L78 and Alan F like this.

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 2:52 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Congratulations on your find. I’d install whatever color interior and top you like. It’s your car, build it as you like. If it hurts the value, it likely won’t be significantly.

Steve R
I agree, its your car, do as YOU like... The interior change may make a slight difference in the value, but it shouldn't be anything to worry about. More likely, any value change will be someone's perception, whether they like the Blue or White, or Black...

... IMO, the T56 will potentially hurt the value, because it requires cutting into the floor and fabricating a new transmission tunnel...

IIRC, "White" was not an option for 1967... But you can get it easy enough today... For '66, the factory "White" interior had the seat covers, upper door panels/arm rests in "white", while the carpet, seatbelts, dash, A-pillars, lower door panels and painted door tops were "Black"... If you went this route, its cheap and easy for anyone to reupholster the seats in black, and swap out the door panels and armrest, should somebody decide they wanted to go factory black...

For my '66 convertible, I chose a semi-custom color combo, using white seats and all-white door panels, but with Bright Blue carpet, dash, door tops, etc... IMO, it looked great, and only a real '66 Chevelle "expert" would realize it wasn't a factory available combo... I thought the white seats really looked great with the Marina Blue...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	conv Interior66.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	574096  
Steve R and Kirk's67SS like this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

Last edited by 1966_L78; Sep 6th, 18 at 3:16 AM.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 3:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth View Post
Hi,

I just scored a great find, a very rust-free 67 original SS convertible that came with 4 speed, bucket seats and Marina Blue paint. It still has the original 12 bolt but the engine/trans are gone.
A little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it may have a later 12-bolt rearend… Just looks like more room between the brake backing plates and the lower control arm bracket...

And I am thinking its not an original 4-speed car... Not 100% sure if the 67 SS's with 4-speeds had the same features as the '66, but I cannot see the under-floor clips for the speedo cable routing (passenger side), nor the hole in the firewall below the heater for the 4-speed-specific cable routing...

I agree too, that the cowl tag appears "too nice"...
Kirk's67SS likes this.

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 3:11 AM
Senior Tech Team

Tony’s right, the gap between the lower control arm mount does look too wide. It should be about the width of a thumb. Back when Chevelle’s were cycling through the junkyards, that was parts scavenging 101, that way there was no need to check the width with a tape measure.

Steve R
Kirk's67SS likes this.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 3:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Did '67's start stamping the con VIN under the cowl grill or heater flange? I know my '66 doesn't have them yet...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
A little hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like it may have a later 12-bolt rearend… Just looks like more room between the brake backing plates and the lower control arm bracket...

And I am thinking its not an original 4-speed car... Not 100% sure if the 67 SS's with 4-speeds had the same features as the '66, but I cannot see the under-floor clips for the speedo cable routing (passenger side), nor the hole in the firewall below the heater for the 4-speed-specific cable routing...

I agree too, that the cowl tag appears "too nice"...
I agree the cowl tag does look "nice". It does worry me a little but:

The VIN plate inside the drivers door has the "star rivets" and appears unmolested. In other words "it looks old."

The rear frame has the big block braces and looks the same age as the rest of the frame.

I pointed out the woodgrain on the dash and the owner said he had the original and wasn't sure why it had been swapped out.

Is the floorpan opening for the shifter different for a 4 speed as opposed to an automatic ? Or are they the same ?

The 12 bolt is a CN code which applies to 66-67. Haven't verified if it has the 66 or 67 lower spring perch.

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, 12 bolt, Marina Blue with black interior

Last edited by nashville beth; Sep 6th, 18 at 12:05 PM.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
I agree, its your car, do as YOU like... The interior change may make a slight difference in the value, but it shouldn't be anything to worry about. More likely, any value change will be someone's perception, whether they like the Blue or White, or Black...

... IMO, the T56 will potentially hurt the value, because it requires cutting into the floor and fabricating a new transmission tunnel...

Tony, I have the regular T56 out of a 95 Camaro; not the Magnum. It should take minimal cutting to get it in.

IIRC, "White" was not an option for 1967... But you can get it easy enough today... For '66, the factory "White" interior had the seat covers, upper door panels/arm rests in "white", while the carpet, seatbelts, dash, A-pillars, lower door panels and painted door tops were "Black"... If you went this route, its cheap and easy for anyone to reupholster the seats in black, and swap out the door panels and armrest, should somebody decide they wanted to go factory black...

For my '66 convertible, I chose a semi-custom color combo, using white seats and all-white door panels, but with Bright Blue carpet, dash, door tops, etc... IMO, it looked great, and only a real '66 Chevelle "expert" would realize it wasn't a factory available combo... I thought the white seats really looked great with the Marina Blue...
Your interior looks great ! I might go with a blue interior since white wasn't available. My shifter handle will be a Muncie welded on the T56 handle. I plan on using a console ; I might have to move the shifter handle to get it in the right position.

post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:20 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I've never been a fan of the same color body as gut unless its a match. So light blue, light blue, yes? What I am a fan of, and you may not be, is the classic mix of white and blue as in Tony's car. In fact, give me a Danube Blue car with white gut and I may fall in lust. ( something I beleive was never made)

So its yours, do with it as you wish, imho blue /white is a classy, classic compliment. As seen in Tony's pic. ( and ps, the woodgrain BOP dash dont go with any of it imho)

Nice score BTW! Can I convince you to shoot in in Darkwater Blue with a fawn or cream interior and matching top? One sharp one of-a-kind!
Kirk's67SS likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Your interior looks great ! I might go with a blue interior since white wasn't available. My shifter handle will be a Muncie welded on the T56 handle. I plan on using a console ; I might have to move the shifter handle to get it in the right position.
Muncie handle or not, you're still going to need to modify the floor pans to fit that T56.
Clint44, Steve R and Kirk's67SS like this.

64 2 door Wagon

67 2 Door Post Sold 11/21/17
LS1 T56

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88 View Post
I've never been a fan of the same color body as gut unless its a match. So light blue, light blue, yes? What I am a fan of, and you may not be, is the classic mix of white and blue as in Tony's car. In fact, give me a Danube Blue car with white gut and I may fall in lust. ( something I beleive was never made)

So its yours, do with it as you wish, imho blue /white is a classy, classic compliment. As seen in Tony's pic. ( and ps, the woodgrain BOP dash dont go with any of it imho)

Nice score BTW! Can I convince you to shoot in in Darkwater Blue with a fawn or cream interior and matching top? One sharp one of-a-kind!
I agree with you on that color combo Gene. Would look truly stunning. Being Danube was a '66 only color, & white was an available interior color, it is quite possible that a few were ordered that way. Did any survive is the question.
427L88 likes this.

64 2 door Wagon

67 2 Door Post Sold 11/21/17
LS1 T56

67 SS Tribute Sold

post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 1:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Is the floorpan opening for the shifter different for a 4 speed as opposed to an automatic ? Or are they the same ?

The 12 bolt is a CN code which applies to 66-67. Haven't verified if it has the 66 or 67 lower spring perch.
The floor pan is the same for ALL transmission options, except for the shifter opening "hump". The factory floor is kind of hacked out, and the additional "hump" is welded in place when a floor-shifted manual is ordered. The floor shifted auto has a different hole (also depends on Powerglide or TH400, but your frame does NOT have the TH400 cross-member brackets).

BTW, the "4-speed" hump is also the same as the factory "3-speed manual" hump, but the 3-speed (which was standard equipment for the SS 396) used the driver's side speedo cable routing...

"CN" was also used in later years. I know CN was a rearend code for 1969. IIRC, 1970 used "CCN" as well... If you are under the car anyway, just write down the casting number from the center section...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville beth
My shifter handle will be a Muncie welded on the T56 handle
They make bolt-on brackets (assuming your T56 shifter has the standard "Hurst" 2-bolt handle mounting. Someone may also make a new "repro" handle to bolt to the Hurst pattern shifter... I know I bought one for my '66, but the '67 handle differs in its bends).

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 3:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Quote:
The floor pan is the same for ALL transmission options, except for the shifter opening "hump". The factory floor is kind of hacked out, and the additional "hump" is welded in place when a floor-shifted manual is ordered. The floor shifted auto has a different hole (also depends on Powerglide or TH400, but your frame does NOT have the TH400 cross-member brackets).

Do you have any pictures of these brackets ? The crossmember looks very much like the Camaro TH400 xmember.

BTW, the "4-speed" hump is also the same as the factory "3-speed manual" hump, but the 3-speed (which was standard equipment for the SS 396) used the driver's side speedo cable routing...

"CN" was also used in later years. I know CN was a rearend code for 1969. IIRC, 1970 used "CCN" as well... If you are under the car anyway, just write down the casting number from the center section...

I just found "CN" listed as 66-67 only : 1967 Chevelle Rear Axle Codes

They make bolt-on brackets (assuming your T56 shifter has the standard "Hurst" 2-bolt handle mounting. Someone may also make a new "repro" handle to bolt to the Hurst pattern shifter... I know I bought one for my '66, but the '67 handle differs in its bends).
The floorpan has the welded mounts for bucket seats and a pic of the forward console mount bracket is below.
Someone mentioned a hole in the firewall for the muncie speedometer cable.
There is a pic of the firewall attached.
What is the stock swaybar on SS396? I think it's 15/16"

I think I will go with the white interior with the Marina Blue paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Console mount.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	574132   Click image for larger version

Name:	VIN.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	574134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3138.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	574136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater firewall.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	574138  

Name:	Clip below heater.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	574140  
1966_L78, 427L88, LeoP and 1 others like this.

post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 18, 3:50 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Good choice!

My true doc'd 138 car has both holes Beth, like your ragtop. I only this year routed the speedo cable thru the proper pass side "SS" hole and not the "Malibu" hole the PO's had it running thru. I had no idea until I checked the Assembly Manual!

BTW, the serial number will also appear near the trunk lid seal on your rear fender up near the front corner. Yet, why worry about it's authenticity unless you're going to flip it.

All the more reason to dress it as you want it.

Paul I looked at all the color combos over at CHEVELLESTUFF, which is an awesome reference site, and couldnt find it. I did see a 69 in midnite blue with ivory interior back in 1978 and it was very classy. A repaint. That combo looks good on Chevelles, Jaguars, etc, everything,imho. See if DUKE69 has his car pic in his user profile here.
Pete 67 likes this.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in