'65 License Plate Lamp Assy - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

'65 License Plate Lamp Assy

Had a burned out LPL and when removing outer chrome housing, noticed glass lens was contained but very loose in receptacle (both sides). Thick gasket was installed between lens and bulb receptacle and all looks like it should keep lens firm but it's not. I hate to ask another '65 owner to pull theirs loose to see what mine is missing but if that's not too much trouble I'd greatly appreciate it. The gasket is pretty thick and I can't imagine there would be 2 of them. Thank you very much...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 4:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

Re: '65 License Plate Lamp Assy

Btw; I have looked parts breakdown up in the Assy Manual (pg 160) and is extremely vague...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 8:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

@jeffschevelle

And thank you, Jeff - for answering this stuff when I prompt you.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 8:35 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Is the bulb housing on the back side of the bumper? That would do it. The entire light assembly should be on the outside of the bumper. The entire light housing consists of the bulb socket, the gasket, the lens, the chrome cover and two screws and two sheetmetal nuts to hold it all to the bumper. There isn't anything more to them. Doesn't sound like you are missing anything.

BTW, page 160 is concerned with tail lights and back up lights, license plate lights are on page 162. I still assume you are talking about license plate lights since that's what you said and only those have glass lenses.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings

Last edited by Rich-L79; Aug 7th, 18 at 8:52 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 18, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

Rich, our manuals don't match up page wise. My LPL is on pg 160, UPC12, C6 and yes, assy is on rear of bumper. My chrome housing screws don't attach w/ nuts rather straight into lamp housing and they tighten down nicely. Even w/ thick gaskets the lenses are unacceptably loose. They just rattle around back there. It looks as if there should be a cushion between the lens and the chrome housing but the manual doesn't show that. Hmmmmm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 18, 8:23 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

How do the housings attach to the bumper in your situation? Pictures might help.

If assembled correctly nothing should be loose. It doesn't sound like you are missing anything. The lens should be pressed snug into the chrome cap by the gasket. There is nothing between the lens and the chrome cover. Are these originals or reproductions?

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 18, 1:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

I'll disassemble one side later to show what I'm dealing with but this is what I presently have. I wonder if the lens is for a '65 and doesn't match to the '64 chrome housing. One would think the '64 and '65 housing would be interchangeable...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0337.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	572128  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 18, 1:58 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

64, 65, they are all the same.

It is hard to tell, but I still think you have it attached to the bumper wrong. The bulb socket should be on the outside of the bumper, not behind it. The chrome cover and bulb socket sandwich the lens, the wire passes through the hole in the bumper and the entire assembly is screwed to the outside of the bumper. You have to use some kind of nut on the back side of the bumper to hold the assembly to the bumper. The fact that you said you don't have any kind of nuts involved also seem to confirm you have them installed incorrectly.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings

Last edited by Rich-L79; Aug 8th, 18 at 3:51 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 18, 7:48 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

First photo is the correct installtion, second photo is the incorrect installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lampright.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	572164   Click image for larger version

Name:	lampwrong.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	572166  

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 18, 8:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

By golly, I think you're on to something. I'm sure the way you're suggesting will most definitely eliminate any slop between lens and chrome housing. The screws the first photo shows and ones that I have are more of a sheet metal screw so I'll see what I need to secure sandwiched assy to the outside of bumper. I want to dig into this tonite but can't. Tomorrow morning for sure. Will let you know. Thank you...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 18, 9:43 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

You can typically get a set of those little sheetmetal "nuts" (they are flat) to put on the back side of the bumper to hold the screws in at any decent hardware store for just a few pennies. I've never found a j-nut that would fit on the thick metal of the bumper though they may exist somewhere. The assembly manual appears to show just flat sheetmetal "nuts".

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 18, 8:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

I picked up the flat nuts you suggested and thought immediately how to secure them while tightening the screw, with extreme limited access to inside of bumper. That didn't fly so called a buddy at body shop about j-nuts and he was optimistic about having them. Will see what he has tomorrow...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 18, 9:53 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

At the factory I'm pretty sure the lamps were attached before the bumper was mounted to the car. If you flop the license plate down, you can get your fingers back there to hold the nuts. Almost impossible to hold the nuts in place from below.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 18, 9:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

This project is priority 12 but will let you know the results soon. Thx for tips...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 18, 9:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

To get the chrome lamp housings to fit flush on bumper, I had to mount bulb housing on the inside, with extra thick rubber seal to take up all the slop between inner housing and outer housing, to the chrome bulb housing on the outside w/ stainless hardware and it turned out absolutely perfect. The extra effort pays off as usual. Unfortunately health issues are forcing sale of my 'P' paint coded a/c equipped original 327, PG w/ 12 bolt. Should be ready to advertise soon. Thanks again for your advice...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0340.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	573018   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0085.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	573020  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in