Adding Passenger side Mirror - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Restoration Corner Where originality comes first.

59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Re: Adding Passenger side Mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
This is the only photo I could come up with on short notice.

It does look pretty good. I was thinking the square ones wouldn't look good with that body style.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Scott W.
Electrical Engineer
'68 Malibu GM 383 700R4
This is how we roll:
It's still a Family affair!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
This is the only photo I could come up with on short notice.

That does look good, and love that Marina Blue, along with the increased vision. What company's hood?

post #63 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 12:20 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by red68chevL View Post
It does look pretty good. I was thinking the square ones wouldn't look good with that body style.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
If you're looking from the front or rear, the shape of the body matches the shape of the mirror. I think the 68-72 should have the round mirrors.
red68chevL likes this.

66 CHEVELLE

post #64 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 12:23 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post
That does look good, and love that Marina Blue, along with the increased vision. What company's hood?

Not sure on the hood, it came with the car. I'm in the middle of a redo and going back to SS style hood.

66 CHEVELLE
post #65 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 2:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post
I know this is a little oldish thread, but I'm wondering how critical folks would be if I put the rectangular mirrors on a '67? I'll be adding a pass. side mirror, and it looks like the rectangular '68+ mirrors would offer a lot more area. Plus Morris offers a convex lense for the pass. side. I'm usually a traditionalist about stuff, so maybe it's best to stay with round on a '67 (it would save money ).

I installed the rectangular mirrors on the '67 LS1 car I built. Everything was custom, so I didn't care they weren't original. I think they looked great.

post #66 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 3:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
I installed the rectangular mirrors on the '67 LS1 car I built. Everything was custom, so I didn't care they weren't original. I think they looked great.

They look right; I'm going to get those instead of round. Great looking car.
Pete 67 likes this.
post #67 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 4:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

When my rectangle mirrors start getting loose & floppy (and they will) I'm ordering the morris clear shots in rec. of course, like someone said 69-72 mirrors have more real estate and I think they look better than round on 66-72 chevelles, I do like round on 64-65 chevelles for some reason

post #68 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 6:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
jackie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post

Great looking car. And I think I will install a right side mirror as well. I think the rectangle ones look great.
Pete 67 likes this.

'67 Chevelle Malibu, Catalina Blue, 540 inch Rat, Air Flow Reasearch 290 CNC Heads heads, Custom Hyd Roller, .675 lift, 234, 244 at .050, Lemons Headers, Holley Multiport Fuel Injection, TCI 6X 6Speed Automatic, 12 bolt Posi Eaton TruTrac, 3:31 Richmond Gears, front and rear power disc brakes, Global West Suspension, etc.
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/s.../22377/cat/604
post #69 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 18, 7:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

Not true. My 64 Chevelle SS 496 came with a factory right side mirror. This is fact. The guy I bought it from gave me a letter saying so. Plus it has a Chevy emblem on it.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.

64 Chevelle 496
64 F100 Street Rod with BBC /Chevy trapped in a ford body
post #70 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 10:20 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
When my rectangle mirrors start getting loose & floppy (and they will) I'm ordering the morris clear shots in rec. of course, like someone said 69-72 mirrors have more real estate and I think they look better than round on 66-72 chevelles, I do like round on 64-65 chevelles for some reason
Rick,
My 69 has what I believe to be the original mirror on the drivers door. It was pretty loose so I did the following. I took the mirror and rotated it to a couple extreme positions so it exposed the part of the rotating ball that would normally be covered. At three different positions on the ball i took a spring loaded punch and made a divot in the ball. Once rotated back to the normal position those deformities are enough to keep the mirror in place. At least it has for a couple years.
shovelrick likes this.
post #71 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 3:33 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVELLE396 View Post
From what Iíve read on here, no passenger mirrors were ever factory installed on a Chevelle. I donít know if it covers all years, but Iím thinking at least up until 70. At least not a standard mirror. However the dealer would install one if you wanted it. Again Iím no expert just stating what Iíve read from others on this forum.
i was looking at a commercial on the brand new 66 chevelle supper sport from 1966 it showed no pass side mirror
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
post #72 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 9:09 PM
Tech Team

Garage

I have the original 1968 options sheet with my car and a side mirror was an option. Not sure if it really matters. I'm in the process of installing square mirrors on both sides, don't trust driving out in LA without both and I'm too dependent on mirrors given the way I drive.
post #73 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 18, 9:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

When you folks add a right side mirror, do you add a steel or aluminum strip inside the door for strengthening? If so, do you recall the size? Thanks.
post #74 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 18, 12:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Rickles look back towards the beginning of the thread and the metal I put on the backside of the skin is there, my pas side panel is still off if you need a pic, my window track has a problem, I think it was a 1" wide x 3" long x 1/8th or 3/16ths thick piece I made, someone else used riv-nuts? sounds good but I never heard of them

post #75 of 77 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 18, 9:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Rickles look back towards the beginning of the thread and the metal I put on the backside of the skin is there, my pas side panel is still off if you need a pic, my window track has a problem, I think it was a 1" wide x 3" long x 1/8th or 3/16ths thick piece I made, someone else used riv-nuts? sounds good but I never heard of them

Yes, thanks, I recall that now that I look back (post #13), but had forgotten. Thanks, I'll do that when the time comes. Morris will have the new, update, square mirror line on Jan. 1st.

shovelrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in