ENCLOSED CAR TRAILERS - Chevelle Tech
2002 General Tech questions from 2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 02, 8:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am looking at getting a enclosed trailer.Would like to hear what opinions on which brand to go with.I am looking at a 24 Haulmark.Thanks in advance

------------------
Ray Griffin
70 LS6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 02, 10:03 PM
Senior Tech Team

Ray, I just bought an Exxis and I think it's exceptional. The guy who owns the dealership told me that the family who started Featherlite and sold it to the current owners, builds the Exxis now. I don't know if that's true or not, but the workmanship is really nice and it's all aluminum like the Featherlite. A friend has a Wells Cargo that's about 10 years old and except for being a little heavier than some others I've always liked it too. I had a Pace in the early 90's and didn't care for it all that much and think the Hallmark is very similar to it. At a casual glance it doesn't seem like the fit/finish on the Pace and Hallmark is as good as some of the others, but maybe it's not fair to compare them to the alum trailers with the difference in price. I figured the Exxis would be the last one I'd ever buy and decided to go with it in spite of the price. If I'd thought I might trade in several years I might have considered one of the others.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 5th, 02, 10:57 PM

I have owned a couple of enclosed trailers, and I would highly recommend Classic Trailers, www.classicmfg.com The last one I had was a 48ft Classic Dominator, and it was exceptionally well built.

------------------
66 SS #'s matching 396/325 4spd. Black/Black
72 C10 Deluxe suburban 402/400
72 C30 Cheyenne car hauler 402/4spd
72 C10 Cheyenne LWB 350/350
00 S10 Blazer

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 7th, 02, 7:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the replies.I have never heard of
Exxis before.I believe I am going to go with the Haulmark race trailer.I am going to the 5000LB axles,48 in curb side door,and excape door.I think it will be fine for what I want.Its $6500 and that seems to be the best price I've found.

------------------
Ray Griffin
70 LS6
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 12:26 PM
Tech Team
Nick

I Have a 2000 Model 24' Pace Shadow. I love it I have no complaints what so ever with it. This day an age I think they are all probably about the same, its just what ever brand you deside you want. I do know if you shop around a little you can usually save a few bucks.
Nick

------------------
69 Z/28 83000 original miles all #'s match
68 SSRS 396 Camaro owned for 22 years
68 SSRS Drag car (10.31 at130 mph at 5000 ft of elevation)
69 Camaro project car
72 GMC Sprint SP-454
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech Team

The 5000 lb axles are not enough if your gonna haul anything over 3000 lbs. If your gonna tow a Chevelle, you need to get the 10,000 lbs axles.

Look at the GVW rating with both sets of axles. Keep in mind the GVW includes the weight of the trailer, which many are between 3500 and 4000 lbs EMPTY.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 5:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

My original trailer had 3500 lb axles and there was never a problem. Both axles combine to a 7000lb total weigh capacity and there's a considerable safety margin built in. The new Exxis has 9000 lb axles with 8 lug 16" wheels, but there was a similar trailer beside it with 6 lug wheels and I think they said it had either 4 or 5 thousand pound axles. They call mine a 28, but the inside length of the floor with the rear door closed measures 29' 6", so I guess I don't know how to measure a trailer. That's probably the reason for the 8 lugs. The smaller trailer was called a 24.

Here's a link to the local dealer and it also has a link to the Exxis website at the bottom. Click on Exxis Motorsport Trailers:
http://www.blackjacktrailers.com/

[This message has been edited by 2BlueLS6's (edited 05-08-2002).]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 5:37 PM
Senior Tech Team

Must be simple confusion in termanology. Dealers around here sell trailers and list the axle ratings by combining both axles to give the total load rating.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 8th, 02, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

In my earlier post I said 5000LB axle,what I meant was 2 5000lb axles.The GVWR is 10000 the curb weight is 3880 and the payload capacity is 6120.I think this will all I need.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 02, 8:28 AM
FIG
Senior Tech Team
J.J.

Send a message via AIM to FIG
mmmm Ray buying new trailer...

Ray are you planning on getting the trailer locally or picking it up from an out of state dealer? It's been a lil while since we spec'd out a enclosed trailer (although dad keeps drooling over some). Have you test fit your car in a 24' box yet? You may find that you want a little more room inside the trailer to fit the car in comfortably/to be able to carry other stuff with you. I am definitly interested in seeing what you finally decide on, you may have set up dad's next big purchase...

------------------
J.J. Fig
MCC member #256
Maryland Chevelle Club
Dad's 69 SS
Mom's 71 SS Convertible
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 9th, 02, 6:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey JJ,yeah I been toying with this idea for awhile.Yes I have hauled my car in my friends 24 foot trailer which I will using for OC next week.I've thought about a 26 but that may be a over kill.
Are you going to OC?What about your mom and dad?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 10th, 02, 7:36 AM
FIG
Senior Tech Team
J.J.

Send a message via AIM to FIG
Hey Ray
Have fun in OC! We are getting stuff ready for ACES. But I know Bob and the Gray's will be there, make sure you sign in!!!

l8r

------------------
J.J. Fig
MCC member #256
Maryland Chevelle Club
Dad's 69 SS
Mom's 71 SS Convertible
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 10th, 02, 12:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Terry

We have a Wells Cargo and I would not buy another one. It leaked from the day it was new. Also don't make the same mistake we did and get a black one. Extremely hard to keep it looking nice.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 05, 9:56 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: ENCLOSED CAR TRAILERS

I have a 22 ft. Hallmark. was going to get a 24ft. Dlr explained, For show car 22 ft is all you need,unless you want to haul more weight,burn more fuel. a 22 will haul any car. Mine is a 22 Haulmark "thrifty hauler" Cost 4800.00 tax title plates. Its a 99, no frills 5 bolt wheels, I have hauled my 70 SS 454 M22El camino since 1999 no problem,al over Ga. tenn. N.Y. Ind, S. Caro. This is what the tlr. is designed to do. The camino is a 116 Wheel base VS chevelle112 wheelbase. I have 5 feet from the front bumper to the nose of the tlr.In closing ask yourself.........AM I SHOWING THE CAR OR THE TRAILER? Its your call make a wise decision Bob 70 SS454 M22 elky ,70 SS454 red sta. wgn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5164 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.