Tired of having 700 R4s fail behind my BB should I do the 4L80E or gearvenders TH400. - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
2002 General Tech questions from 2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 9:39 AM

First of all, your driving habits appear to me that you really need overdrive. If you went back to a 1:1 drive tranny, you'd be unhappy with that motor spinning up. You'd constantly be shifting into neutral looking for the next gear!
I've installed 700's on more than one healthy big block Chevelle and I can tell you from experience that it's not the transmission itself but how it is built and with what parts as to how long it will last.
The 4L80E is one HEAVY trans! Yes you can make one work but you'd be spending your money on a used piece from a junk yard. It's a roll of the dice. In stock form they're not totally indestructible you know. If it were me, I'd have it rebuilt with good parts and that would cost you $500-700. Then the controller, then you're probably going to use the factory lock up convertor that came with it, right? 1500 stall speed. Not very performance oriented. I've installed 5 700R4's from Phoenix transmission. Check out the site and info. They will build the 700R4 of your dreams and stand behind it 100%. how's up to 600 ft lbs of torque in a 3700 lb car sound? 2 year 24,000 mile warranty?
Ask for Scott and tell him that Jimmy from Granbury told you to call. You'll get extra special attention!
www.phoenixtrans.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 3:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
LSx Swap Guru

Re: Tired of having 700 R4s fail behind my BB should I do the 4L80E or gearvenders TH

Bump for updates...

[B]-Cable

-'74 K5 2wd Blazer 'Ghost': 6.0 LQ4/4L80e Swap, 7875 Turbo, Custom Turbo Cam
-'03 Silverado RCSB Z71 4x4 6.0/4L80e/NP241 BW S475 T4
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 07, 4:08 AM
Tech Team

Re: Tired of having 700 R4s fail behind my BB should I do the 4L80E or gearvenders TH

stage 3 700 R4 in my big block SS chevelle from Bowtie overdrives no issues! hardened input shafts etc. I had a local trans shop build me one and it lasted 200 miles. Got my money back and go a bowtie overdrive trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4440 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.