Headers - Chevelle Tech
2002 General Tech questions from 2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 5:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm torn between getting Sanderson headers or Hooker Super Comp headers. I have a 1967 SS 396 and am looking for a really nice set of jet coated header. Steer me in the right direction, Please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 6:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Hooker's are usually not the preferred choice by most of us. Dynomax and Hedmann seem to get the most votes for best quality and fit.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 7:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

I was told by a speed shop in my area to stay away from Hooker headers.....they are not made as well as Hedman or Dynomax!!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 8:45 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I have Sandersons on my small block and they look great. They are high quality with a thick flange. I tried the cast iron headers that they make, but they had an interference problem with the frame on both sides. They took them back and exchanged them for the regular ones but would not credit me the difference in the cost (about $175.00) and made me pay for shipping both ways. I was NOT happy with that. But the product is a good one, just make sure that they fit right away.

------------------
65 Danube Blue MALIBU 4 door wagon, Disc brakes, F41 suspension,
GM Performance Parts 350/330hp crate engine with serpentine belt system, Sanderson headers, 700R4, factory air with Vintage Air conversion, factory am/fm stereo, tilt wheel.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 11:07 PM
Gold Founding Member
Nick

I hate to be a stick in the mud,, But I have had much better luck with the Hooker Super Comps fitting better than any other header,, I tried the Dynomax and they didnt fit (with out using a BFH)sent them back,,spent the $700 for the hookers (2")coated super comps slid right in,, I have used several sets and been happy each time,,,

------------------
<LI> ACES Charter member # 73 <LI>TEAM CHEVELLE # GOLD # 9
<LI> 69 Garnett Red Yenko Replica 427/4spd / 70, LS-5 ,4 speed, A/C , Corvette Coupe
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/blewis166
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 11:20 PM
Tech Team
Bob

My Hooker Comps fit great. No clearance issues, coating looks great, never had a leak, and the plugs are not hard to change.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 54k orig miles
My car.
The red interior.
The engine.
Hood trim.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 11:53 PM
Tech Team

Hedman with there HTC coating on my66 BB.I'm very happy with them in every way. Oil filter remove and install clearance, clutch linkage clearance and header install!I highly recommend them. IMHO.Tony P.S Only been on the car 1-1/2 yrs. though. But the coating and looks are still looking exellent.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 12:21 AM
Tech Team

I forgot to mention that I have also heard good things about Sanderson too. But there also pretty spendy, but so are coated headers.Good Luck whichever way you go.Tony
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 11:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Pete,
Just put a set of coated Hedmans on my 67 Elky 396, TH400. Really couldn't have asked for a better fit and easier install. They are 1 3/4" tubes and 3" collectors, which seem to be the size preferred for these motors by guys that know a lot more than me about it. Price was good too, WAY less than Hookers, which I have heard require a BMF hammer to put into a 67.
If you want more detail, email.
John

------------------
TC# 958
'67 Elky 396/325 TH400
----------------------------
"Speed Costs Money -
How Fast Ya Wanna Go?"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 2:54 PM

A speed shop that recommends Dynomax over Hooker headers ? IMHO the only thing good about Dynomax is the price. You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 9:34 PM
Tech Team

Zero problems with my Flowtech's. Paint finish sucked, but they were pretty well made.

Later
Steve
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 10:00 PM
djw
Team Member
Danny

The coated FlowTechs I got for my small block went in great. Only been on a couple weeks. The Heddmans they replaced fit great, too.

------------------
My Elky
Arkansas Classic Chevelle Club
My Webpage

Danny Wooldridge
Member #1129
Aces #5044
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 11:08 PM
Tech Team
Johnny

I used the Hooker super comp 2217's on my 71 big block and have no complaints!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 07, 12:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to blownnalky1 Send a message via Yahoo to blownnalky1
Re: Headers

Ok out of all these suggestions for headers, for the big block 67 chevelle, which ones didnt require that you undo the drivers side motor mount and lift the engine to get the drivers side header in? i have power steering as well, also if any of you are using the taller motor mounts can you please give me a part number for them as i know that makes a big difference where you dont have to lift the engine to install the header on the drivers side as well. also include the header part numbers if you know them thanks

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4467 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.