70 chevelle vin / cowl tags - Chevelle Tech
2002 General Tech questions from 2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 2:11 PM Thread Starter

im restoring a car claimed to be a 1970 chevelle SS L-78 (non #'s matching) and i was wondering if anybody could help me decipher the codes. The vin # is I36370B126084 and the cowl tag includes the codes (left to right top to bottom) ST70 13637 B502589bdy TR 756 48 48PNT 12B B D 0139.
I also have a build sheet in fair - good condition, if anybody has anything i should look for on that. Also... looking for some GM front fenders for it if anybody has some in A-1 shape. Thanks

------------------
Josh Sauls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 02, 4:07 PM
Tech Team

You are lucky you have the build sheet, most are long gone. You really cannot tell anything too great from the VIN and Cowl tag in 70. But the buildsheet will tell all. I can help with the tags, but hopefully one of the buildsheet guru's here will help you with that.

VIN

1 = Chevrolet
36 = Malibu
37 = V-8 2 Dr. Sport Coupe
0 = 1970
B = Baltimore Assembly Plant
126084 = Assembly sequence number, all plants started at 100,000

Cowl plate

ST = style line
70 = 1970
13637 = V-8 Chevrolet Malibu Sports Coupe

B= Baltimore Plant
502589 = Body Sequence Number
BDY = Body Line

TR = Trim Line
756 = Black Bucket vinyl seat interior

PNT = Paint Line
48 = Forest Green Metallic Upper color
48 = Forest Green Metallic Lower color

12B = Assembly date 2nd week of December 1969

B D 0139 = These are option codes that no one currently has decoded

That's all I can help you with.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
2001 Grand Prix GT
Aces #2424
http://www.geocities.com/elliboom/Ma...l?994781720927
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech Team

BaerSS
I have read all your posts,and will try to respond to them here.

B D 0139=is the Data Processing number,not option code.This was solely used to keep track of the Vehicle on the Assembly line.It became meaningless once it left assembly.

I know this car,I have it's buildsheet and it was recently for Sale on Ebay in Ct.I believe Jim Brady was selling it.
It was just a shell,no drivetrain at all.
Totally for guts.I am not discrediting or bashing this car at all,but it is VERY unique in that it has a VERY late build date for the L-78.Very contraversial.

The build sheet is not rock solid in that it has a tear seam between the left corner(Build date is there) and the rest of it.
It does look like an authentic 1970 L-78 though,but I only have a xerox of it.Some guys do like to make the unusual,just to stir up the hobby,so understand why most will say it looks suspicious.

SSZ15 454 convers.is odd,in that only 454 LS-5 and LS-6 recieved this code,but it seems Baltimore was redundant sometimes,and listed this code improperly.I have other Z25 cars with this Z15 code as well.Yours wouldn't be the first.It does have the 6500 redline tach?

Can you tell me where and how you acquired this car,and what your plans for it are?

I am an Avid fan of the 1970 L-78,and you can click my link below to see my L-78 Chevelle.I look forward to talking with you.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 02, 6:45 PM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr70:
BaerSS

B D 0139=is the Data Processing number,not option code.This was solely used to keep track of the Vehicle on the Assembly line.It became meaningless once it left assembly.

I know this car,I have it's buildsheet and it was recently for Sale on Ebay in Ct.I believe Jim Brady was selling it.
Totally for guts.I am not discrediting or bashing this car at all,but it is VERY unique in that it has a VERY late build date for the L-78.Very contraversial.

The build sheet is not rock solid in that it has a tear seam between the left corner(Build date is there) and the rest of it.
It does look like an authentic 1970 L-78 though,but I only have a xerox of it.Some guys do like to make the unusual,just to stir up the hobby,so understand why most will say it looks suspicious.

SSZ15 454 convers.is odd,in that only 454 LS-5 and LS-6 recieved this code,but it seems Baltimore was redundant sometimes,and listed this code improperly.I have other Z25 cars with this Z15 code as well.Yours wouldn't be the first.It does have the 6500 redline tach?

Can you tell me where and how you acquired this car,and what your plans for it are?

I am an Avid fan of the 1970 L-78,and you can click my link below to see my L-78 Chevelle.I look forward to talking with you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow, i cant believe you have a copy of my build sheet, im wondering how recent you saw this car for sale though.... i bought it last feburary i believe it was, the guys name was terry misek (i think that was how he spelled it) i know the car was on ebay, but i never saw it on there. however, i bought it in Corry, PA. I am also pretty sure this guy had the car for a while beofre that. it was a shell, but i had a motor included when i bought it, and the origional trans and rear end. if you could scan that build sheet and email it to me i would love to just see it (to see if i can read anythign else on it) [email protected] is my email. My plans for the car are to finish the restoration, but go with origional GM parts where repros were used (fenders) Did you look at this car? I have been planning to paint it red with black stripes (not sure of the exact colors till i get to the paint shop and looh at the strips) currently i am finishing the drivetrain, i have most of the parts for that and im just working on things such as the pullies and i still need motor mounts tranny mount and a few small things. if you have AIM i would love to talk to you on there, my screen name is "baersupplier". so if you have it, give me a shout. im going to go check out your car now..........
also, seeing as you think this car came from CT and not that long ago, im getting kind of worried now, i think that the frame is stamped on the passenger side top right frame rail with the vin, and i have also heard somethign about a hidden vin on the firewall???? could you tell me where that is? i will be able to check the frame, i will be pulling the body off breifly and will check that then, but i was hoping that i could check it now (firewall) to kinda calm my nerves
------------------
Josh Sauls

[This message has been edited by BaerSS (edited 07-29-2002).]
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 9:41 AM
Senior Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BaerSS: and i have also heard somethign about a hidden vin on the firewall???? could you tell me where that is? i will be able to check the frame, i will be pulling the body off breifly and will check that then, but i was hoping that i could check it now (firewall) to kinda calm my nerves[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Van Nuys built 70 has the VIN stamped on the firewall under the heat blower/fan assembly. I had to remove the whole assembley to find it. I'm not sure if all plants put the VIN there.

[This message has been edited by 70Z15 (edited 07-30-2002).]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 11:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

The build sheet copy I have is not as clear as the original.I doubt I would be able to shed anymore light on what you have.
Does this car have the 6500 redline tachometer?
I saw it for sale on Ebay this last winter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 02, 11:39 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 70Z15:
I'm not sure if all plants put the VIN there.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My son's 70 built in Kansas City has the VIN in the same place
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 2:28 AM Thread Starter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr70:
The build sheet copy I have is not as clear as the original.I doubt I would be able to shed anymore light on what you have.
Does this car have the 6500 redline tachometer?
I saw it for sale on Ebay this last winter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I do have the 6500 tach with it, and it was on ebay last winter... probaby in december. But it was in Corry PA, not CT

------------------
Josh Sauls
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 02, 7:07 AM
Tech Team

The latest L78 from Baltimore that I have seen is VIN 126172....It is a 12-4 car, color 75, M21. I have a copy of the buildsheet.

[This message has been edited by greg2001 (edited 07-31-2002).]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 05, 9:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: 70 chevelle vin / cowl tags

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr70
BaerSS

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE
Also my build sheet does not have a tear on the build date, I would really like to see this build sheet you have. If you read this please mail me a copy to:
Josh Sauls
1029 west kendall rd
Kendall NY 14476
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5311 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.