Break in procedure, after initial start up?? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
2002 General Tech questions from 2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 05, 10:05 AM

Re: Break in procedure, after initial start up??

I went to a TRW engine clinic and this is what they said to do after all the stuff you have already read about (cam break in etc.) Take car to long stretch of road and lug motor from stand still up to 35 mph( get in high gear as quickly as possible) then shift to low gear and slow down under compression. Do this at least ten times or more. They said this forces rings against cyl. wall and aids in seating them. I did this on my 327 and drag raced it two days later. I ran that engine as a daily driver and bracket racer for 11 years. Then I pulled it out and pulled the heads, you could still see the hone marks in the cyl walls. I reinstalled the heads and sold the engine to a friend that still has it in his 57 chevy. I also ran slick 50 after the engine had about 20,000 miles on it. It never burned oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 9:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rod

Garage
Re: Break in procedure, after initial start up??

This is the break in procedure Ive used on my last 5 motors, two two-strokes and 3 v-8's (1-350, 1-302, 1-409) all have been working well no problems. The first motor (350) is going on 75,000 miles and 8 years.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

9 years and FINALLY she's drivable, just in time for my first born son.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rod Hill
IT/AG instructor
Ag. Mechanics, Ag. Power Mechanics, Ag. Wood
Los Banos High
Los Banos California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 4830 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.