What are some things the previous owner did that made you laugh - Chevelle Tech
2002 General Tech questions from 2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hi group. I have been floating on this site for a while and with the knowledge I obtained, I purchased a 66 malibu for my wife. I could not find a car in my price range with a good body in my area and took a chance on a car on the other side of the US. I took the owners word about specific things about the car and broke my cardinal rule of not getting a unbiased party to look at it. He got me and other than a fair body, it is about as road worthy as a 1939 milk truck running down hill with no brakes. Anyways, my wife and I would like to hear some stories about something a previous owner did to the car you bought that just made you laugh. I can start it off with this:

He had the tempature probe for the tempature gauge in a vacuum port.

John Weaver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 10:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

When I bought my firebird, it always seemed to fall on it's face when you romped on it. After looking the holley carb over, I found that they put a nut and bolt in the linkage to the secondaries. They tried to make it from a vacuum version to a mechanical.

On a free honda I got, they used electrical tape to mount the coil to the engine. A bungee cord to hold the headlight in place and another bungee cord wrapped in a plastic bag for the battey hold down. This was my college beater.

------------------
J Enga
64 Malibu SS 327
400 build up
Instructions?...All I need is the exploded view
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 10:34 PM

not funny, but they put a main bearing shell in wrong. Oil hole was on the cap.

Bye Bye crank

------------------
Mike Novak
'71 Chevelle convertible
red daily driver

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 10:41 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Guy that had my car before me used a hardware store bolt and flat washer to hold oil pump on!What a supprise I had when I tore the engine down for a rebuild!

------------------
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/2fas4u.jpg
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

A friend of mine bought a Ford Bronco on a deal because the fuel pump quit working. The owner said he just put all new timing gears and fuel pump eccentric in it. I tore it down and the timing chain was on backwards. My buddy called the owner out of curiousity and asked him if he made sure the timing marks were lined up and the owner told him yes. He must have been pretty nifty to see the marks between the block and the chain. HA HA.

John Weaver
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 11:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Tore down the '70's 402, and there's about a hundred wraps of bailing wire holding the oil pump pickup to the pump. Scary, but I couldn't afford to redo the shortblock, and so far it still runs strong. Sure I'll find more surprises when I finally tear it apart.

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396 L34
1977 Caprice, roller SB406
1965 Le Mans EFI'd 468, M22, Global West, etc
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 02, 11:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

When I bought my car 21 years ago the previous owner had put the shifter linkage on upside down and the shift pattern was reversed. It was a novelty until one night I missed a shift horsing around on the main drag and I sent the fan into the radiator. After that I failed to see the humor in that setup.

Ahhhhhh to be young...still can't believe I lived thru all that??

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 12:48 AM
Tech Team

Mine would be the previous owner driving off the side of the road doing about 25 and running into a rather large and immovable Caddy. Damages were the bumper, fender, hood and radiator support.

The poor little 65 had only 63,000 original miles on it. 230 inline 6, Powerglide, post model, poorly slopped on cover paint job, made in Massachusetts, and never driven out of the state. (Still hasn't)

But, with a few body repairs, needed changes to the drivetrain, interior, and many hours of work, it still only has 70,000 miles on it, but isnt so "poor" anymore. Rather healthy.

So whats the funny part? Him losing such a great little car!

------------------
T-Bone
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 1:11 AM
Senior Tech Team

- Took out the A/C system, cut the wires under the hood, removed interior ducts, the point of that I don't know
- Used sheets of riveted lead to patch rust holes in the back and half a can of body filler
- Replaced the front bumper but didn't put in a filler panel
- Had one loose bolt holding on both the rear shocks
- String holding in the tranny modulator valve
- Removed RH exhaust heat valve for power
- Made his own rear light harness

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black/black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
1987 Chevy Caprice Coupe (spare car)
Other Restorations - 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 1:30 AM
Senior Tech Team

I went to look at a 68 El Camino, they guy was selling it because he had installed a rebuilt motor but couldn't get it to start. He turned the motor over with the starter to show it wasn't frozen. I asked if he made sure it had gas, he said that it did. When I got it home I put gas in it and low and behold it started right up. Who would have thought.

Steve R.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 1:40 AM
Team Member

Ever wonder what a chevelle looks like coils from a Cadilac under the back?

Need I say more.

one other thing. To start the car one used a Large plunger haning from the dash. Nuetral safety switch my ass. The solenoid wire itself was 5 seperate pieces of wire.

------------------
-Just call me Otis
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 1:46 AM
Tech Team

My now wife at the time girlfriends 75 Nova when purchased by her father asked if it had any body word done to it? the owner replyed "yes, under the side quarter window glass behind the door window was rusted out on both side but I fixed it the right way." apparently he was very proud of fact he had taken the time to do it right.

When My father-in-law tore into the car for a complete paint job, he discovered about 1.5" of bondo followed up with about 2 sunday papers worth of newspaper stuffed in the rusty hole.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 1:58 AM
Tech Team

When I talked to the original owner of my car I asked him what happened to ALL of the original drive train.

12 bolt posi, "The good ol' boy up town swapped it out for a good 10 bolt when I broke an axle".

The original big block, " Same good ol' boy put me in a good 350 when it started smokin".

400 turbo trani, "Same good ol' boy put me in a new 350 turbo".

I bet I know where there's a good ol' boy with a good ol' bb hot rod.

About the worst thing I did was put cardboard in the trunk to fill in the rusted out 1/4's on a 68 GTO convertible and paint it red to match the car. Hey, it didn't look to bad from a distance. Cal

------------------
TC Member # 1308

my trailer queen
future racer
justins 67
cals caminos web site

[This message has been edited by 72sselcamino (edited 08-29-2002).]
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 5:44 AM
Team Member
Kevin

Geez, I don't know where to start. Original column shift nob replaced with an 8 ball. Didn't take long to learn not to close the door with the engine running. The impact combined with the weight of the 8 ball would cause it to drop into gear.

All AC underhood stuff removed (in AZ?)and all interior ducting removed.

Station wagon springs in the rear and intentionally broken shocks in the front, possibly with big block springs (car is a sb.)

Home made dual exhaust with a Y pipe attached to one manifold. One part of the Y bolted to the manifold, the other part clamped and welded closed.

JJ, do you remember anything else? Every time I take something apart I find something else. I think I have the Frankenstein of Chevelles!

------------------
Honey, its not a $200 hat. The distributor was $200, the hat came with it. kevin d
Classic Cars and Trucks of Beaufort #03
TC #1108
ACES #4586
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 02, 7:56 AM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage
Well the previous owner of my car had a couple of neat things they added to make it better. One was courtesy lights in the sail panels next to the back window. There gone now and then there was a shorted wire under the dash that was without insulation. I think the best one was the patch panels that the owner had welded on was done where the seams were ontop of the original panel so there was a nice hump to the bottom of the front fender and bottom rear quarter behind the back wheel. Oh and the acorn nuts on the lugs wouldn't allow them to be tightened enough to snug up the rally wheels to the hubs.

I have seen much worse on other cars like the 68 my folks got for me and my sister to share while drining to high school. I think the entire car was bondo and some places it was 2" to 3"'s thick. That car didn't last much more that 2 yrs before it crumbled.

------------------
Deon
72SS454 Clone
Website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5085 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.