• 1 Post By Kopfjaeger

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 17, 1:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Binu

Garage
67 manual recommendations

Hi guys,

Whats the recommendations for a manual transmission with a 600 HP 496 and 4:11 rear....thanks in advance.

Seems the Magnum needs quite a bit of working, Legend looks good also, TKO might be the most cost effective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 17, 2:23 PM
Tech Team
Walt

Re: 67 manual recommendations

Check out Auto Gear's M23 unit.
Auto Gear Equipment | Custom gearboxes | Muncie and Tremec Transmissions
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 17, 2:56 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

I would be looking at one of TCs "Supporting Vendors" at the bottom of the Tech Forum page !
" Silver Sport Transmissions"
for some info and then talk or send an Email Thread/Post to them for any more details needed also .

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 17, 1:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Binu

Garage

Yes, thanks Kirk! I have reached out to Jeff at sst. Deciding if I need the short shifter...is anyone using it? Thought?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 12:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Thinking about going with SST Magnum 6spd NOW! especially since they're telling everyone that prices will go up end of year. How did your upgrade go? I get to buy a new toy (welder) anyway.

67 Chevelle Malibu
zz427,M21
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 12:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

What type of driving do you plan to do with it?
I initially planned to have a new m22 built for mine until I calculated how many rpms at 60 mph Id be spinning. Made me rethink everything since I was already locked into a 3.73 rear gear. Pulling 3k+ for extended periods of time on the highway while in the slow lane did not appeal to me so I opted for a 5 speed. Legend LGT700, to be exact. I had spent huge money on new sheet metal, floor included, so cutting up my floor to fit a TKO to handle a 600hp engine was not appealing either. I could not find enough info on the Richmond in a 67 Chevelle to make it a viable choice.

I cant tell you how it is, yet, since Im still working on the frame and body. Hopefully this spring!

Joe
davewho1 likes this.

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 1:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

M21 in my 67 currently. Most of my travel will be highway so 65-70 minimum. 150-200 miles one way on the long trips. 3.42 diff gear currently. I think i'm at around 2500rpm at 65 +/-. zz427 engine so 480hp out of the box.

BobG

67 Chevelle Malibu
zz427,M21
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 1:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I loved the Richmond Road Race 5-speed I put in my '66 ( about 15 years ago). It was a nice, close-ratio unit (no large RPM drops between gears). The RoadRace version was supposed to have better synchros, and had a 3.04:1 first gear ratio.

No floor/tunnel mods (very minor shifter clearance), used the stock cross-member, speedo cable and stock driveshaft (needed to upgrade the slip yoke to the TH400 32-spline)... Shifter came up right where factory and Hurst 4-speed shifters came up. While I went with a new clutch, really the only difference was the spline of the input shaft (26 like later Muncies, where mine had the stock 10 spline input), so I could have just swapped a new disc. Same bellhousing, etc...

I did have the mount pad on the stock crossmember lowered a bit for shifter and driveline angle, but the trans fit otherwise. Mine had a "Long" brand shifter, and it sat up pretty high campared to the Muncie with a Hurst Comp-Plus... I even modified the shifter to accept the stock Chevelle handle in the stock console...

But it was not an Overdrive. So I built another 12-bolt (I used a 2-series posi carrier and 2.73 gears). I was actually using a rearend from my other Chevelle, so I really "needed" to build something new anyway.

Another benefit was the lower driveshaft RPM (watch the critical speed of the driveshaft).

On the highway, turned about 2600 RPM at 75 MPH... Around 2000 RPM at 60 MPH... Thats with a relatively short tire, 295/50-15, 26.6" tall. Nice behind my baby big block (396 with dual quads)...

IMO, the cost of the rearend rebuild is worth the hassle and cost of the new driveshaft and tunnel mods...

Been a while since I looked, but I think Richmond came out with an Overdrive version, and I know they had a 6-speed version as well... IIRC, the tunnel and driveshaft mods were similar, NOT requiring big surgery like the Magnum, etc.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 3:31 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
... Been a while since I looked, but I think Richmond came out with an Overdrive version, and I know they had a 6-speed version as well... IIRC, the tunnel and driveshaft mods were similar, NOT requiring big surgery like the Magnum, etc.
They do have an overdrive trans now with a .77 5th gear. It's called "5 Speed Road Race With O.D". I would like to know if it fits in a '67 without cutting, maybe some one out there knows?

Last edited by davewho1; Dec 7th, 17 at 5:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 17, 4:32 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

So if i'm hearing you guys right. Options other than Magnum, less surgery. Ideally, would love to swap 3.92 rear gear back in AND highway cruise at 2k rpm. Not liking the pressure sales tactics from SST regarding price hikes end of year.

67 Chevelle Malibu
zz427,M21
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 17, 5:28 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967convert View Post
They do have an overdrive trans now with a .77 5th gear. It's called "5 Speed Road Race With O.D". I would like to know if it fits in a '67 without cutting, maybe some one out there knows?
I had the same question before Inpulled the trigger on my LGT, but I could not find a conclusive answer. I started a thread and if memory serves, no one with. 67 chimed in. I think a 70s Chevelle owner did.

Joe

1967 SS 396 Chevelle
Formerly Bolero Red
Soon to be a 427 equipped Tahoe Turquoise head turner!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 17, 10:04 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Chvl67 View Post
So if i'm hearing you guys right. Options other than Magnum, less surgery. Ideally, would love to swap 3.92 rear gear back in AND highway cruise at 2k rpm. Not liking the pressure sales tactics from SST regarding price hikes end of year.
There is also a five speed overdrive from McLeod called the "Muscle car 5". It is based on the T-5 and supposedly fits without mods, but I could not find any testimonials (for a '67) on that one either. It is rated for less torque than the others though. The mystery continues.

I'm leaning toward the M22W with a 3.08 gear unless some solid info on the others surfaces.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 17, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech Team

Youre gonna need some drag radials for sure it will be a roller skate
For an od gear a .7 or .8 is about right.... .5 is awful tall., Youll have the torque to pull it but honestly stilll way tall almost unuseable

Have a 67 with a T56 26 in tire have to be going pretty fast to use 6th wihtout lugging the motor. I like 5th about 70ish crusing 2500- 3k engine is happy there.
One thing for sure you wont miss the 4 spd. If you use a hyd clutch reinforce the firewall so it does not flex theres only like .030 gap where its totally disengaged
If I had to do it over again Id keep the mechanical linkage but that stuff wasnt out when I did mine.

Best anti theft device around...a 4 spd ball no millenial will find reverse. Did not hook up the reverse lockout solenoid so it takes some effort to find R. Whod have thought it was that simple
Wish, last time around I would have opted for the Z06 gearing less rpm drop. Wtih a big block you dont need it. Great mod overall

Would also cut the tunnel raise it and make it removeable makes getting to the bolts so much easier when taking it out. the top ones are tough to get to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	501057   Click image for larger version

Name:	t562.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	501065  

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 17, 4:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Binu

Garage

Ended up getting a tko600... in some sprited driving I cracked the case again....looks like my crossmember had been deteriorating... got one from summit and replaced the case....Back on the road and so far so good.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 17, 8:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

You'll like the TKO. I just put one in my '67. It did require some significant tunnel surgery and work on the firewall to fit the hydraulic clutch but was worth it. Previous 4.11 was too low and didn't work well with it so I switched to a 3.73. Now all is good.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 964 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.