Budget TH350 to 2004R Build - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Budget TH350 to 2004R Build

I am going to try doing a budget TH350 to 2004R conversion (excluding driveshaft, already have that) for under $3,000.00. I wish I could do a 4L80E build for that. Anyone know of good sources to get transmissions. I have heard about Jake Shoe, Extreme Automatics, Bowtie Overdrives, and Gear Vendors, but after adding on all the goodies (crossmember, cooling lines, inspection cover, TV cable, dip stick, etc.) it really adds up. I know that's all part of buying a kit, but is there any cheaper alternative. I mean I don't want to get a cheap transmission and have it puke on me a few miles down the road. Just trying my options right now. If you have a money situation, you would understand me. I don't want to compromise my vehicle though. It's for a 1972 Chevelle 406sbc. Makes about 435hp/450ft.lbs.

Jake Shoe sells a nice kit, but he sells out of them quickly.

Extreme Automatics is nice too. Just wish I could afford it and they sold kits.

Bowtie Overdrives is nice as well. They quoted me $3,100.00 shipped to nearest transport. Still too expensive though.

Gear Vendors nice, but I would have to shorten my current driveshaft 11" and I don't want to do that. Plus, I don't know how good there kits are?

Any advice would be helpful. PLEASE don't bash me on being a poor SOB.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 9:43 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: Budget TH350 to 2004R Build

Low buck and high performance usually don't work out too well in the end. A lot of people with deeper pockets than us have no issue going OD. Do you want a OD for better mileage? Lower first gear? If for mileage, I would figure how much mileage you would pick up and figure how many years or miles it would take to pay off the 3-4 mpg gain. If it's to lower the revs on the freeway just how many miles do you really put on the car on the freeway? Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 9:46 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Talk to Lonnie at Exteme Automatics - he put together a kit for me (stage 2, 3k non lockup stall converter, all the needed goodies to convert a th350 to a 200-4r) and shipped it out to me for not much above your budget. More beef than you need (mine was setup for the eventual 496 that will replace my 454), so tailor one to your needs when you talk to him.

He may or may not hit your price, but it's worth the call.

BTW - you can use your stock crossmember, just slide it back and drill 2 holes. You can use same cooling lines too.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 9:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Low buck and high performance usually don't work out too well in the end. A lot of people with deeper pockets than us have no issue going OD. Do you want a OD for better mileage? Lower first gear? If for mileage, I would figure how much mileage you would pick up and figure how many years or miles it would take to pay off the 3-4 mpg gain. If it's to lower the revs on the freeway just how many miles do you really put on the car on the freeway? Jim
It's for both, Jim. I haven't put on any miles on the freeway, because the car is a project right now. It would be a plus though. I was getting 6-8 mpg in town, so anymore would help. I wasn't expecting much to begin with and I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the car. Yeah, I was just 18, but I did know. I know about these cars and gas mileage but I would like to know how some people get 16-18mpg in town on there high horsepower sbc when I only get 6-8? I don't put my foot into it.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 17, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Talk to Lonnie at Exteme Automatics - he put together a kit for me (stage 2, 3k non lockup stall converter, all the needed goodies to convert a th350 to a 200-4r) and shipped it out to me for not much above your budget. More beef than you need (mine was setup for the eventual 496 that will replace my 454), so tailor one to your needs when you talk to him.

He may or may not hit your price, but it's worth the call.

BTW - you can use your stock crossmember, just slide it back and drill 2 holes. You can use same cooling lines too.
Thanks, Steve. Will give Lonnie a call then. I have heard good things about them. Heck, even Jake recommends them when he doesn't have any 2004R's in stock.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 6:12 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I did my conversion for less than $1000 but I built my own trans. Bought a core trans for $100, a rebuild manual, and all the parts from various on-line suppliers. BUT my engine is just a stock 350 so it didn't have to be super strong. I got many of my parts from Transmission Parts - Wholesale Transmission Parts Online. Very reasonable prices. Some of the HD parts I got from another on-line parts supplier but can't remember the name. Google 200 4R parts and you'll see several suppliers.
Ethan1 likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 7:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
I did my conversion for less than $1000 but I built my own trans. Bought a core trans for $100, a rebuild manual, and all the parts from various on-line suppliers. BUT my engine is just a stock 350 so it didn't have to be super strong. I got many of my parts from Transmission Parts - Wholesale Transmission Parts Online. Very reasonable prices. Some of the HD parts I got from another on-line parts supplier but can't remember the name. Google 200 4R parts and you'll see several suppliers.
Thanks, Von. I think this is what I will do instead, since I like rebuilding things. Do you have a rebuild manual in mind? Thanks bud! Ethan

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 9:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Like Von said that's a good place to buy parts. Here's a good manual. GM 2004R TECHNICAL MANUAL

This guy is a wealth of information. Turbo Buick Performance
Ethan1 likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 10:56 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan1 View Post
Thanks, Von. I think this is what I will do instead, since I like rebuilding things. Do you have a rebuild manual in mind? Thanks bud! Ethan
I used the ATSG manual I got from bulkpart.com for about $25 or $30. It's just a basic rebuild manual. I used a GN servo, Transgo shift kit, 10 vane pump, hardened stator support, wide band, and some other perf parts.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 11:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan1 View Post
I know about these cars and gas mileage but I would like to know how some people get 16-18mpg in town on there high horsepower sbc when I only get 6-8? I don't put my foot into it.
16-18 mpg in town are LS numbers aren't they? Only way I could get 16-18 mpg with my mild 350 SBC with a 700R4 is if half the driving was downhill and I shut the motor off so I could coast in neutral.

The OD isn't going to make any difference mileage wise in town. You wont get out of 3rd gear for the most part. The mileage savings is on the HWY.

Best of luck building your 200R4.

'65 Chev El Camino
350/400+HP, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'68 P-11 Norton
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by von View Post
I used the ATSG manual I got from bulkpart.com for about $25 or $30. It's just a basic rebuild manual. I used a GN servo, Transgo shift kit, 10 vane pump, hardened stator support, wide band, and some other perf parts.
What would you recommend me getting for my 2004R rebuild?

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 1:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
16-18 mpg in town are LS numbers aren't they? Only way I could get 16-18 mpg with my mild 350 SBC with a 700R4 is if half the driving was downhill and I shut the motor off so I could coast in neutral.

The OD isn't going to make any difference mileage wise in town. You wont get out of 3rd gear for the most part. The mileage savings is on the HWY.

Best of luck building your 200R4.
I knew there was something to it. Someone just said SBC. Not LS.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 2:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Just a comment - I went with a Gear Vendor and went to a driveshaft shop where the guy said, " I don't need to cut your original drive shaft - I have lots here and will set you up with one -balanced and ready to go." Didn't cost an arm or a leg as I recall and I still have the orig. should I want to change something.

The biggest drawback to a GV is that you cannot just buy the tail shaft if you want to change to a different tranny - you have to send the whole thing back to them and then they sell you a new package - discounted but still.... seemed like a pain to me.

Otherwise, a GV is pretty much bullet proof.
Ethan1 likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 4:46 PM
Team Member
Dave

A TH 350 and a 2004R use the same length driveshaft, no need to change. I had a mild 427 in a '68 with 3.31 gears, when I added a 700R4, I got 17.5 mpg at 75 mph on the highway, with a/c running. That, and the lower first gear were worth it to me.
Ethan1 likes this.

It is a rare man who can count his own blessings and not mistake them for personal achievements.
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSuper Dave View Post
A TH 350 and a 2004R use the same length driveshaft, no need to change. I had a mild 427 in a '68 with 3.31 gears, when I added a 700R4, I got 17.5 mpg at 75 mph on the highway, with a/c running. That, and the lower first gear were worth it to me.
Didn't know that. Thanks, Dave!

I talked with Steve over at Extreme Automatics and he can set me up with something not much over my budget of $3,000.00. Stage II, TV System and one of their 2200 Stall Torque Converter's. Which I don't think was bad. Plus, if I decide to do a head/cam/engine upgrade, I will be safe. He was VERY pleasant to talk to. Top notch customer service! I am going with them.
lucifershammer likes this.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle
(oo________oo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1009 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.