1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

Re: M20 not disengaging.....additional questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-L79 View Post
I've had engines sit for 10-20 years and while the flywheel may have gotten a little rusty, it was never enough to freeze the disc to the flywheel. The issue is either the clutch fork or the throwout bearing. Since the bearing came with the clutch it SHOULD be correct for that particular pressure plate but mistakes can happen. So that would seem to leave the clutch fork as the most likely suspect. I believe you could test this theory by putting in a slightly longer pushrod temporarily and see if that disengages the clutch. You can make a longer pushrod out of a bolt of the proper size and length with the head ground off.

I suppose it is also possible that the throwout bearing was installed incorrectly onto the fork. If it was put on backwards it might cause this situation.
Rich,
In my first long winded quote, I suggested temporarily fabbing a longer rod to add more push into the fingers and hopefully releasing the disc.

I really didn't want to yank the trans out which is why I'm picking everybody's experiences with this issue. If I have to, I'll pull the trans but was hoping to try everything anybody suggests before I do the deed.

'64 SS Coupe, 4 spd Muncie M-20, 12 bolt 3:42, 350sb 9.75:1, Edelbrock RPM top kit with roller cam, EB 600cfm carb.
Weekend driver....
Weekends need to be 4 days long every week.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 16, 11:54 PM
Levon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antalamo View Post
Mike,
I replaced the pilot bushing with the new one supplied by Centerforce.

If the pilot bushing is too tight on the input shaft the symptoms you describe will be there. Did the trans slide in easily or was it pulled in using bolts...?

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevonH View Post
If the pilot bushing is too tight on the input shaft the symptoms you describe will be there. Did the trans slide in easily or was it pulled in using bolts...?
I got the trans to a point by hand then drew the last inch or so I with bolts.....it's been a while since the install but as part of my parts inspection, I believe I took the bushing and did a pre fit it on the shaft before I installed it on the crank. Any other way to check if the shaft is free wheeling inside the bushing....?

'64 SS Coupe, 4 spd Muncie M-20, 12 bolt 3:42, 350sb 9.75:1, Edelbrock RPM top kit with roller cam, EB 600cfm carb.
Weekend driver....

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 10:22 AM
Levon

Tony, often when you drive the pilot bushing in the shrink in size. This causes the input shaft to be tight on the bushing. Drawing in the trans with bolts aggravates the problem.

I would pull the trans. and check the clearance between the input and the bushing and replace the bushing. Make sure it is a non metallic one (magnet check) and there is the .003-.006" clearance between the input and bushing. This spec is one I found on the Site somewhere.

Levon Hovagimian
Team Chevelle #279
2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White (Bone Stock)
70 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 4 speed. SOLD
Current Engine VortecPro 460 (513 HP) Original is resting

1966 427 Corvette SOLD
1973 Camaro IHRA Hot Rod (LS-6 Auto)11.00 @121 (Chased a 10.99 or better) SOLD

Priddis, Ab. Canada

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 11:35 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

I had a pilot bushing once that fit on the test fit on the input shaft but it was a bear to drive into the crank. When I got it in, it fit waaay too snug and I had to cut it out and replace it.

Given all the oddities going on, possible wrong TO bearing, possible weird flywheel/pressure plate combo, possible pilot bushing issues it might be best to simply pull the transmission and give things the once over.
Bow_Tied likes this.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 12:21 PM
Tech Team
Graham

When I installed my M20 a few weeks ago, I checked the bushing to input shaft fit before and after installing the bushing in the crank. When I installed the transmission, there was no resistance, I could practically push the transmission in with one finger. You shouldn't have to pull it in with the bolts...
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 16, 8:35 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T9 Chevelle View Post
You shouldn't have to pull it in with the bolts...
X2. If you do the.pilot bushing has compressed too much. The pilot bushing should only be 1.5 to 2 thousandths larger than the bore of the crankshaft. Last one I installed it was 7 thousandths larger than the bore. Had to have it machined down. Some guys sand/grin them down themselves.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 16, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Are you using the correct length fork ball?
Brass pilot bushing?

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 16, 10:13 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Darren

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
X2. If you do the.pilot bushing has compressed too much. The pilot bushing should only be 1.5 to 2 thousandths larger than the bore of the crankshaft. Last one I installed it was 7 thousandths larger than the bore. Had to have it machined down. Some guys sand/grin them down themselves.

A dremel with these sanding wheels works well.

If you donít push the limits how are you going to find the weak spots?
USMC- Retired
My car: 1970 Chevelle

Factory 12 bolt /4-Speed Malibu -Dual stage wet nitrous with heater & purge - Holley Strip Dominator, Speed Demon 750 CFM - (All MSD distributor, blaster 3 coil, 6AL, & 3 stage retard) - 4 wheel disk brakes - Aeromotive Fuel system Ė Boss 338 18ís - BMW 5.25 true HID projector mod - and of course... the FLAPPER - bla, bla, bla.. lots of other expensive stuff I canít remember
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 16, 3:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T9 Chevelle View Post
When I installed my M20 a few weeks ago, I checked the bushing to input shaft fit before and after installing the bushing in the crank. When I installed the transmission, there was no resistance, I could practically push the transmission in with one finger. You shouldn't have to pull it in with the bolts...

this is true assuming the clutch alignment was /is perfect . When new parts are installed , its difficult to get it perfect. An old input shaft works better than the plastic tool provided. An assistant to depress the clutch pedal once you are within the last inch sometimes will help as a last resort.
Loosen the trannie bolts and see if will slide back easily... if so, not the bushing, but it may need to come out anyway to see what is really going on

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 16, 9:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

Thanks to all reply's.....the trans has to come out. Starting thar chore on Sunday. I'll know more by then. I'll get back to this thread with the final diagnosis to hopefully help someone else going through what I experienced. Thanks

Weekend driver....
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 16, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

For those of you still interested. I wanted to try one more thing before pulling trans. I jacked up the rear wheels and started the car in gear. With engine running and tires rolling I pushed the clutch in and hit the brakes. By the 3 rd time hitting the brakes with clutch in, whatever was holding up the clutch broke free. The clutch now free wheels an disengages correctly. I shifted into every gear easily and clutch disengages nicely. No noises, sounds or any thing that would indicate something wasn't right to begin with.

So I can only assume I either had a clutch disc stuck to the flywheel or an input shaft stuck inside the pilot bearing. It appears things are OK for now but if that pilot bearing was a little tight I may need to keep an eye on it for now.

Weekend driver....
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 16, 1:48 AM
Tech Team
Graham

Glad to hear. Good thing you didn't have to pull the trans.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 16, 8:14 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well Tony something to think about for next time at least from my experience. Those plastic clutch alignment tools are junk. An old input shaft is the way to go. Measurement of the crank bore and the outer diameter of the pilot bushing is imperative. Not sure you just didn't use enough force to distort the pilot bushing. Here is to hoping it was just the clutch disc stuck to the flywheel
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 16, 12:13 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

I'll bet it was the pilot bushing. At least you got it worked out. Keep an ear open for the pilot bushing squealing in the event you dinged it up a bit.

I have a very old wooden alignment tool that always works perfectly. It is even a good judge for an improperly sized pilot bushing. I'll never let that tool go! Not sure why they can't make a good alignment tool anymore. They MUST fit snug in the pilot bushing (which they don't) or they can let the clutch disc sag and getting the input splines into the disc will never work.

I wonder if someone good at a wood lathe could tool up a few good ones out of a good solid hardwood?

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 931 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.