Options to consider for the rear end - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

 4Likes
  • 1 Post By 70CHEVELLE396
  • 1 Post By novadude
  • 1 Post By lheise88
  • 1 Post By big gear head
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 4:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jorge
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego / LA
Posts: 60
Options to consider for the rear end

68 Chevelle with EFI 5.3L and 4L60e.

Just put the motor and trans in, and think it's smarter to get posi traction in the rear now, before my tune, so I don't have to pay for a second tune down the road when I get a new rear. Whatever's in there now works fine, but only spins the right tire.

What are some of your opinions on options to consider for a better rear end? Buy used or new? rebuild current rear? I'm green, so I appreciate the insight!
JSolo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 4:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,862
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Here are a couple of questions.

What rear end is currently in your car? Are you happy with the gears? Is it a posi, or open differential?

What's your intended use for the car?

What's your budget?

Do you want the rear end to come with brakes? If yes, disc or drum?

Steve R
Steve R is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 5:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central City, Ky.
Posts: 9,270
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Assuming that you have the 8.2 10 bolt. This can be made to hold up pretty well with a mostly stock 5.3 and a automatic transmission. I would use a Eaton Posi, Yukon Dura Grip or a Eaton Truetrac and a good set of axles. If you are changing gears then correct set up is very important. Bearing preload and contact pattern are extremely important to the strength.

If you invest a lot of money in the 10 bolt then it might make more since to just upgrade to a 12 bolt. It doesn't cost much more to build a 12 bolt. The price of the housing is the only difference. lf you plan to up the power then go for the 12 bolt.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
big gear head is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 6:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jorge
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Diego / LA
Posts: 60
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Here are a couple of questions.

What rear end is currently in your car? Are you happy with the gears? Is it a posi, or open differential?

What's your intended use for the car?

What's your budget?

Do you want the rear end to come with brakes? If yes, disc or drum?

Steve R
I'm not sure what's currently in the car, but pretty sure it's not stock. All I know is that only 1 tire spins. I haven't tuned the car yet, so i can't say I'm happy with the gears because I don't really know how they'll perform when properly tuned. Intended use: daily driver.

I don't have a fixed budget, and I'm not set on discs or drums in the back. Weighing price, value, and future avoidance of issues is my focus. I've learned to handle repairs in the right order so I'm not going back and doing things twice, i.e. getting a second tune.
JSolo is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 9:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,263
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolo View Post
I'm not sure what's currently in the car, but pretty sure it's not stock. All I know is that only 1 tire spins. I haven't tuned the car yet, so i can't say I'm happy with the gears because I don't really know how they'll perform when properly tuned. Intended use: daily driver.

I don't have a fixed budget, and I'm not set on discs or drums in the back. Weighing price, value, and future avoidance of issues is my focus. I've learned to handle repairs in the right order so I'm not going back and doing things twice, i.e. getting a second tune.

Like Freddie said, you can build an 8.2 10 bolt to take some abuse but the parts will likely cost the same as it would for a 12 bolt. If you're not budget limited and you don't currently have a 12 bolt housing, look into an aftermarket 12 bolt or possibly a bolt-in 9 inch ford. The 9" inch would be great for having the ease of changing 3rd members.

Jeff

64 El Camino Pro street, 496, T-400, 9" 3.73


Video:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fr8dog is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wethersfield Connecticut
Posts: 1,523
Garage
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Perhaps just buy a crate rear and be done with it. Moser, Strange, or Currie are all good. Probably looking around 3k and up depending on options.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
70CHEVELLE396 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 16, 9:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 4,686
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
The price of the housing is the only difference. lf you plan to up the power then go for the 12 bolt.
That's a problem around here, as anyone with even a common 68-72 peg-leg 2.73 10 bolt thinks they have a rare jewel and they charge accordingly.

I've been watching, as I'd like to pick one up for my Dad's 70, and I can find anything for under $500, and even at that price, you are looking at a bare housing or junk with brackets cut off, etc. Maybe other parts of the country are different.

Having said that, you can build the 10-bolt for ~$1200, maybe less. If you factor in what you will pay for a 68-72 housing, you are probably getting up into the $1700-2000 range. I think the 10-bolt will be A-OK if you are not drag racing with sticky tires. Just my opinion.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
novadude is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 16, 10:58 AM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 62
I went with a strange s60. 35 spline axles, Trutrac, drum brakes. Ready to bolt on. 3200 bucks.
70CHEVELLE396 likes this.
lheise88 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 16, 1:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa, On, Canada
Posts: 4,705
Garage
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I went with a strange s60. 35 spline axles, Trutrac, drum brakes. Ready to bolt on. 3200 bucks.
^^^ X 2 that is the way I did it to

Could not be happier

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/06/23
60' = 1.561
1/8 = 7.411 et / 90.18 mph
1/4 = ??.??? et / ??? mph


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kirk's67SS is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 16, 5:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central City, Ky.
Posts: 9,270
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

I was going to get a S60 for my '67, but now I'm just trying to sell the car. I like the look of the big 60.
Kirk's67SS likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
big gear head is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 16, 8:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wethersfield Connecticut
Posts: 1,523
Garage
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

I was close to going with the S60, but wanted to retain the GM look. So a Moser 12 bolt was my choice. I started with just the housing and axle kit. Then built it out the way I wanted, with the parts I wanted. I'm sure I spent more in the end, and I'm sure ultimately the S60 is stronger. But it's the way I wanted it. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

70 Chevelle, Vortecpro 496, TH400, Moser 12 bolt, custom Tom's Eaton posi, 3.73, UMI/Viking front suspension, PMT rear. Sniper efi, RobbMc PowerSurge.
70CHEVELLE396 is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 16, 7:32 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 22
Re: Options to consider for the rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
That's a problem around here, as anyone with even a common 68-72 peg-leg 2.73 10 bolt thinks they have a rare jewel and they charge accordingly.



I've been watching, as I'd like to pick one up for my Dad's 70, and I can find anything for under $500, and even at that price, you are looking at a bare housing or junk with brackets cut off, etc. Maybe other parts of the country are different.



Having said that, you can build the 10-bolt for ~$1200, maybe less. If you factor in what you will pay for a 68-72 housing, you are probably getting up into the $1700-2000 range. I think the 10-bolt will be A-OK if you are not drag racing with sticky tires. Just my opinion.


If you don't mind driving a little there are always listings in the Baltimore & dc craigslists. I haven't checked in a few months but there was a guy with a peg leg 10 bolt listed forever that got down to $75 obo.
PoorMansXcuse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1142 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome