• 1 Post By Robinls5
  • 1 Post By novadude
  • 1 Post By Andy's Auto Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 16, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

10 Bolt Capabilities

Ok, I've done quite a bit of research and I do know the difference between a 10 bolt and a 12 bolt with regards to strengths and features. What I want to ask is real world experience from you guys as far as your experiences with a strong 10 bolt posi setup with some horsepower behind it. I have a 65 Chevelle and trying to find a 12 bolt posi in So Cal has been close to impossible (shipping is a crazy cost from outside So Cal and 64 and 65 are particular 12 bolts due to dimensions), other than the guys that want $3000 for them. Currently I've got a mildly cammed 350 and a T350 tranny and an original peg-leg 10 bolt in there with original gearing. My future plans are a 700R tranny down the road and eventually a Mark Jones 468. I want to approach the diff and the brakes before I go any further with the motor and tranny. We have no tracks out here, so there will be zero track time. I'm not a lead foot BUT as we all know, when we have the HP, we like to show it off a bit, but I will say, I'm rolling into 50 years old and I still have a perfect driving record......I'm SURE that will go down the tubes with Mark's motor in my ride though. Sorry for the long run here but I just wanted to ask you guys if you think holding out and paying extra for a 12 bolt that I will have to have dialed in by a local shop to my specifications ($$$) or putting a posi unit and disks on my current 10 bolt and just rolling with that set up would be advantageous. Thanks for listening and I appreciate any advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 16, 11:29 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage
Re: 10 Bolt Capabilities

Here's what my rear-end builder told me last Summer when I asked what would happen if I put one of Mark's 570/580 468s in my car. (Original '69 8.2" ten bolt that has been upgraded to Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, and Yukon gears.)

On street tires and drag radials, I'm probably fine.

But, if I ever put on slicks on a prepped track and I dead hook, something may give in the rear....probably the yoke....but it could be other areas.

Take that for what it's worth. Help it helps.
Jb71SS likes this.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 4th, 16, 11:52 PM
Tech Team
Chris

I shattered my 8.2 behind a 388 small block on street tires. I was even trying to be nice to it, soft launch but as soon as I shifted to 2nd....BANG! No more 10 bolt. Broke the posi carrier right in half and sheared half the teeth off the ring gear. This was an eaton posi and richmond 3.73 gears. Stock everything else in the rear end. It has previously survived just fine behind a mild 350 that ran 13.30's on drag radials. 12 bolt installed shortly after and it's been trouble free for 15 years. I wouldn't waste money upgrading an 8.2, especially if there's a BBC in your future.
RaceFace likes this.

1969 Beaumont
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1977 Bronco

The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 7:32 AM
Gold Founding Member
Dale

A 10-bolt can be built strong but consider this; GM put a 12-bolt behind anything rated 300 HP and greater for a reason.
RaceFace likes this.

TC Gold #92 ~ August 1998

* Build Sheet Data Collection
* Author:

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 7:38 AM
Senior Tech Team

Can't say that I'd invest in the 10, I'd find any 12 casing and have it narrowed to suit, but given your description of how you're going to use it you'll probably never hook and the 10 will last. I had a stock 10 bolt 8.2 in mine, ET Streets, 4.56 gears, behind an SBC than ran 12.40s at the track. My car hooked and I ran it hard on the streets for many years and the 8.2 held up.

It would be different if you had a good known 8.2 posi already, but if you're sinking money, I'd find a 12.

ak
RaceFace likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 8:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I have done in my lifetime what you are doing. " Talk myself into something ". TORQUE, Will make you a beliver. As been said by others.
My 1962 Chevy had a cast iron 4 speed, ( NO torque 283) Then the Saginaws, Then the Muncies- 20s -- 21s -- 22s -- Then the Chevy 10 bolt rears, Moving along,, Then the Chevy 12 bolt rears. Horsepower is a by/product of TORQUE.
TORQUE,, Always has and Always will, Cause driveline issues.
The old Purolater commercial " Pay me now,, Or pay me later, Your are going to pay me ! "
Bob
RaceFace likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 8:52 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
(Original '69 8.2" ten bolt that has been upgraded to Moser Axles, Eaton Posi, and Yukon gears.)
I am running those exact parts in my 8.2 with a girdle cover. Mine is in a 3300# (with driver) car with a 4-speed, running very similar times to what you've listed in your signature (12.9x @ 108). My car has more ET in it, but I was a little scared to launch it harder on drag radials (2.0 60' time) and I wasn't powershifting for fear of breaking something.

I've been beating on this combo on the street for a while with rock-hard all season radials. With zero track time, street tires, and an automatic you'll be fine.
blue_69_malibu likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 8:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Maybe try to look for a later BOP 8.5 and add a little offset to the wheels. I have had a 3.73 posi 8.5 that was in one of my Chevelles when I got it. It has been sitting behind my shop for 6 months and the scrap guys ignored it. Finally put the guts in a 74 Impala. The 8.5 in my 81 Malibu has 20 mid 9 second passes on it.
blue_69_malibu likes this.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 5th, 16, 2:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Scott

Yeah, I think you guys are right. Just step up and do the 12 bolt and do it right the first time. I don't want to have that sitting in the back of my mind that my diff may not be strong enough. Well, the hunt goes on. Thanks guys!!!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 1:13 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy's Auto Repair View Post
Maybe try to look for a later BOP 8.5 and add a little offset to the wheels. I have had a 3.73 posi 8.5 that was in one of my Chevelles when I got it. It has been sitting behind my shop for 6 months and the scrap guys ignored it. Finally put the guts in a 74 Impala. The 8.5 in my 81 Malibu has 20 mid 9 second passes on it.
While my upgraded 8.2 is fine for my purposes, I don't think everyone realizes how much stronger the 8.5 is than the 8.2. There are lots of 10 second or faster 86 & 87 Gran Nationals running the 8.5 that came with the car from the factory.....with some minor upgrades.....with zero problems and lots of bad a*s time slips.

'69 Malibu 383/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. Street Edge 10" 2800, E-Tec 170s, Custom Mike Jones HR Cam, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 770, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. [email protected] 111 MPH, 1.6865 60 ft, Nitto 555
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 1:20 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

[QUOTE=novadude;8842617]I am running those exact parts in my 8.2 with a girdle cover. Mine is in a 3300# (with driver) car with a 4-speed, running very similar times to what you've listed in your signature (12.9x @ 108). My car has more ET in it, but I was a little scared to launch it harder on drag radials (2.0 60' time) and I wasn't powershifting for fear of breaking something.
QUOTE]

I only have a few tricks left up my sleeve....but I'm hoping for sub 12.7 @ 108 come the cool air of Fall.....and hopefully a Summer of no oil leaks.

I've upgraded my valve springs so that I can actually rev past 5700, have a 3" exhaust and X pipe kit from Torque Tech to install and replace the awful 2.25 pipes that came with the car, and will be switching from a 670 SA to 770 SA. I'll tune the carb, take it to a follow up dyno session....and it runs what it runs at that point.

It's never been easier, cheaper, or more fun to build a nice street 350. We'll see how long I hold out for a 383 upgrade.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 16, 8:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

In stock form the 10 and 12 bolts never lasted for me .
But I hammer my stuff like a dirt track racer. and My cars pull heavy loads on trailers.

I was so happy when I finally got a 9" ford.
Now that is all I want to use.
One reason being that i have many different centersections set up ready to go with different gear ratios in them.
From 2.29 all the way to 4.56.. a bunch in the middle of these.

I only had one 8.5 it was a Posi unit and a I used it as a trailer axle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1231 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.