Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 4:44 PM Thread Starter
KMR
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

200 4r rebuild suggestions

I am finally doing a 200 4r swap on my 71. I tore down the transmission yesterday and looking to do the rebuild with my brother in law. I found this kit on Ebay and looking for a little feedback.

200 4R Master Rebuild Kit Torque Converter Transgo Shift Kit 2004R Transmission | eBay

Other then the lock up wiring, TV cable, and shifter modification kit will I need anything else? My motor is a mild 400 small block. Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Looking to keep the build cost down.

1971 Chevelle Malibu Convertible
Dark Green Metalic, Pearl stripes, Black Top
400 sbc, TH350, Posi w/ 3.55's

Murphy's Law always prevails.........
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 6:12 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Re: 200 4r rebuild suggestions

You'll definitely need a bigger boost valve, hardened sun shell, new 10 or more vane pump, and steel pump rings (stock cast ones can break and scatter debris throughout. Also, be sure you have a 200 4R rebuild manual and take LOTS of pics and sketches during the teardown. It doesn't look like that lit contains near enough to do it right IMO. I'd recommend the wide 1-2 band too.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 8:43 PM Thread Starter
KMR
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Anyone have the manual they can share?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Your eBay seller lists more parts at the bottom of the page, like a 13 vane pump. He also lists an ASTG manual in the left side bar. Call the guy and spend mo money.

You'll need the tool to support the output shaft while assembling the Trans. Didn't Von build that?

Steve O.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 6:44 AM
Senior Tech Team
Big Al

I would by this kit MASTER REBUILD KIT "C" and his rebuild book. The 2004R can be finicky to set up and that kit includes much of the stuff required to take out the guesswork.

1968 Impala Turbo 6.0 798 RWHP

72' 5 speed LY6 Malibu-Sold

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 8:02 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperBBC View Post
I would by this kit MASTER REBUILD KIT "C" and his rebuild book. The 2004R can be finicky to set up and that kit includes much of the stuff required to take out the guesswork.
I'd go this route. I'd but this too, if you could find an actual book, didn't know they were hard to find now.
https://www.atsg.us/atsg/200-4r.html Or you can get the CD.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 11:03 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I used the ATSG book when I did mine. Very helpful but no performance mods or upgrades are mentioned. I'd get the CK book too if doing it again.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 2:37 PM Thread Starter
KMR
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

I realize the CK is one of the foremost experts at this tranny, but that kit is $449 without a torque converter. My car does not have a high HP motor and won't be raced. I do still plan on buying the hardened sun shell and larger boost valve. Just hoping this kit will get the job done.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 3:33 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
I realize the CK is one of the foremost experts at this tranny, but that kit is $449 without a torque converter. My car does not have a high HP motor and won't be raced. I do still plan on buying the hardened sun shell and larger boost valve. Just hoping this kit will get the job done.
The stock pump is a weak point. Get a rebuilt or new one and put in the steel vane rings (I think that's the proper name), at $10. Cheap insurance. A hardened pump stator is a must too IMO. Your old one is probably worn anyway. The Transgo shift improver kit at about $50 is a good deal too. I got most of my parts and the ATSG manual at Transmission Parts - Transmission Rebuild Kits. Dirt cheap prices and quality parts.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 5:42 PM Thread Starter
KMR
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

Are you referring to the vane pump?

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 6:15 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Are you referring to the vane pump?
Yes the pump (only pump in it) has vanes. Stock pump has 7 or 8 I believe. 10 vane is better. Some aftermarket pumps or vane kits have more but are not necessarily better from what I've read. I put a new 10 vane pump in mine. The vanes ride on rings which are cast iron in stock form. They can and do break, lunching the trans and scattering cast iron particles throughout the trans. The core trans I started with had broken vane rings. Unbreakable steel rings at about $10 are a no brainer IMO. I had to disassemble the new pump to install them but it's not a big deal with the pump out.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 9:22 PM
jakeshoe

The CK kit is a bargain at $449.
You're not just buying parts, you're buying knowledge.
Knowledge of what parts are needed, how to set it up to live in a performance application, what parts are good quality and not junk.

I buy hundreds of thousands of dollars in transmission parts a year and get good pricing. I make my own parts in house and have my own separator plates for the 200-4R.
I spend over $500 in parts to do a basic build.

If you think you're going to rebuild one successfully for less, you are in for a steep learning curve.
Everybody seems to think a $75 rebuild kit will get it done on an automatic transmission.
If it did, I would be rich.

Good luck...
pizzi-man likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 16, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
KMR
Lifetime Premium Member
Kevin

When i tore down my tranny the inside lock up wire was disconnected from the plug and frayed. I assume it became disconnected and that is why the original car that it came from was junked. Does a new converter lock up kit come with the internal wiring or just external. What kits do you guys suggest?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 16, 11:38 PM
Tech Team

Garage

I would take Jakes advice and buy that kit, you are already saving $$ doing the trans yourself. He knows the 200's as well anyone.

67 Chevelle SS Marina Blue
66 Malibu (soon to be SS 375HP clone)
67SS Royal Plum original paint
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 16, 3:59 AM
Tech Team
J

A failure of lock-up wouldn't junk a car with 200-4R. It would just run higher rpm. Even with 3.73 gears, that's tolerable.

Activating lock-up externally while letting the stock wiring alone is fine. It may be wired to lock-up only in 4th gear via a pressure switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1459 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.