O/D auto trans decision - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

View Poll Results: Best bang for the buck?
200R4 24 39.34%
4L60e 4 6.56%
700R4 19 31.15%
4L80 14 22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 16, 1:01 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Garage
Re: O/D auto trans decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's67SS View Post
Rich give Jake a call or Email him I think he has resumed building the 200-4R .
Richard,

We don't currently take orders for 200-4R transmissions. We highly recommend Harold's in Denton, TX. Their number is (940) 383-9322.

Thanks,
Jess @ Jake's Performance

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 El Camino (Sold that junk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 16, 10:09 PM
Tech Team
Dave

At your power level, I think a 4L80E is way overkill. Heavy, requires an expensive controller, and possible tunnel mods -- for what gain?

I installed a B&M 700r4 in my car a couple years back to replace my TH350 and am very happy with it so far -- I'll be even happier after I get a working lock-up converter in it. I bought the trans used from a good friend who bought it brand-new at Summit.

The TV cable really isn't a big deal. The throttle linkage on your GoEFI looks exactly like a Holley. I'd try these:

Holley Transmission Kickdown Brackets 20-121 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing (bolts on throttle linkage to provide a connection point for the TV cable)

Holley Throttle Cable Brackets 20-95 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing -- this *might* work, although it looks like your GoEFI doesn't have the notch in front of the driver's rear mounting hole to correctly locate the bracket. It's hard to tell from your pic. Look at a Holley base plate, you'll see what I mean. Worst case, you could get the Bow-Tie Overdrives Easy-TV. It seems to be well regarded, if maybe a bit pricey. (IMO)

It cost me ~$200 to have a driveshaft shortened+balanced at a local driveline shop, and that came with new u-joints installed.

As for the gear-spread difference between a 200 and 700-- I only have 3.55s in the rear and in most light throttle street driving, I'm in first gear for a couple seconds, at most. My 10" converter also negates the wide split a while street driving, and I can't hook up in 1st gear WOT on the street. At the strip, the closer-ratio 200 might be nicer. I would guess the .7 vs .67 OD difference isn't enough to notice. But having OD has made the car *much* nicer to drive.

I had a to drill a couple holes in the frame after I slid the trans cross-member back. Very easy. Speedo cable screwed right in. My TH350 trans cooler lines were a direct swap. My stock column shift linkage worked fine too. It was a little tight when pulling it all the way down into "1", but it worked. I've since installed a B&M Quicksilver and like it much better than the column shift.

-Dave

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.55, [email protected] -- Megasquirt2-Extra, Holley Stealthram / Hotchkis A-arms / Hotchkis Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 16, 10:27 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

I bought the Bow-Tie Overdrives Easy-TV setup that Dave mentioned for my 700R4. Easy to setup, quality unit. WAY better than the previous setup I had.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 16, 11:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

I built my 700r4 for about $1100. That included the original cost of the trans $500 fully rebuilt stock. Then after the stock converter started making noise and first to second started to slip under load I rebuilt it. Tci rebuild kit Tci 2500 converter and Tci full manual reverse shift valve body. Didn't replace the sun shell probably should have but it wasn't damaged at the time. Ran it stock behind a 383 I think it held up good. I got a good core 2004r I always wanted to use but haven't had the need to yet.

You tube video laying down final paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 1:15 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Garage

One of the reasons for this thread was to find out if any tunnel mods were required with any of these transmissions. I have zero experience with any of the overdrive units other than the one in my 2004 Silverado.

It's looking like the 200-4R will be hard to beat in the end for my purposes and the easiest/cheapest to transplant. I'm going to shop local first and see if any cores are available...lots of good transmission builders in this area. If no cores are to be found then I will source a built unit from many offered online.

Speaking of shifters...you won't go wrong with a PPP unit if looking for precise bullet proof unit. Precision Performance Products--KWIK SHIFT II,Automatic Shifters,Racing Shifters,Race Car accessories

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 16, 5:18 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Extreme Automatics: Where Winning is Easy! gets a lot of positive reviews for their 200 4R's.
pizzi-man likes this.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 16, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lynn

Because you already have 3.73 gears, I would suggest you keep looking for a deal on a built 200. No tunnel mods, and you even get to keep the same driveshaft. That first gear is going to seem like a granny gear on a farm truck with 3.73 gears in the back and any kind of stall.

When I was making this decision, I went with the 4L60E because I picked one up dirt cheap, AND because I have 3.36 gears, and wanted the extra low first gear. That I meant I had to buy a controller and a remote TPS set up. The electronic controls ALSO solves the problems everyone has with the lock up on the mechanical units. I know some guys have rigged up systems they can live with, but there always seems to be a compromise. I just program what speed I want it to lock up. I am never going to drag race my El Camino, but if you did want two different tunes, you can program the TCI unit for both and switch back and forth. Kind of like the "Sport" mode and "Comfort" mode on my wife's CL600.

I still had right at $1150 in the whole swap, doing the work myself. Short story here: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/33-t...ml#post8672690

But, as noted, with your 3.73 gears, I would keep shopping for a 200 4R from a reputable builder.

There are lots of good used 4L60E's out there. Unless you stumble upon a 200 out of a Buick Grand Nat. (good luck with that), the 4L60E and the 700R4 are both stronger in stock form. As has been noted, 200 cores are getting scarce. Friend of mine that owns a trans shop said he threw away over a thousand over the years before there was a demand to build them up.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 1:29 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Thanks Lynn - While I do like the 200 better overall I would not balk at a 4L60, especially now that I see you did not have to cut up your tunnel for installation. I liked that TCI controller the first time I read about it and it would be light years better than that tv cable set-up.

I'm betting I can come up with a 4L60E package including controller for about the same expense as a 200-4R...will do some more investigating.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 16, 8:27 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Lynn

You are correct. I made zero mods to the tunnel. I even used the Powerglide cooling lines with not adapters. I did have to trim the heat shield for the trans connector.

Probably could go without the heat shield. It was designed to protect the wiring from a catalyst, which we obviously don't have. But only took a minute to trim, so why not?
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 8:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Approaching the juncture in my build where I need to make a decision on a transmission. I had originally intended to go manual using a McLeod 5-speed, but info on this trans is hard to come by and the price keeps escalating with the needed components. My real priority is to keep from having to cut up the tunnel just to have a O/D trans.

I have researched several options in O/D automatics which I can purchase for considerably less than the manual swap. A 200R4 looks to be the easiest option, but I have to deal with a tv cable. A 4L80 using a aftermarket controller is appealing, but the cost escalates and I'm not certain about the tunnel interference with this trans.

I would like to hear from some of you on the forum about your experiences with O/D automatics in A-bodies. I might add that I plan on using a lock-up converter.
My take is you would be better off using a TH400 with a 2 series rear end and a stock big block torque motor.. My 69 Elco (2.73) can loaf all day at 90 mph and pulls out like a jack rabbit, I love it, especially the 15+ mpg on 87 octane part.. Your not going to beat these new cars anyhow so why bother..

Why do you want to lock out the torque multiplication of the stator in hi gear? This makes no sense to me in a street car that needs to be able to pass at will...

Make it fun not complicated..
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 9:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

got to vote for the 700r4. using one in my 67 chevelle with 496 and 625 ft/lb motor. local guy built mine and I was sure to tell him what kind of motor is in front of it. think your rear end gear is too low for the 700 r4. I run a 3.42 gear set and it is perfect. trans is built with all the goodies for beefing it up plus a jobber price corvette torque converter 2175 rpm stall. got a new drive shaft built for mine to save the original. my builder told me to get the late model brake switch to unlock the converter and a lokar tv cable that is infinitely adjustable. car revs it up down low real good. the 1-2 shift feels a bit different than the th-400 but worth it on the hiway where it turns about 2300 rpm at 65-70 mph. bfg 275-60-15 rear tires (28"? od.) got about 2k in the conversion...
Not2Fast likes this.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 16, 9:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

A little late to the party.... I voted for an 700R Why .. because there plentiful and the stuff to make it last is well documented. As for the TV cable I use Bowtie Overdrive kits
did my 65 Camino and last year MY 38 Chevrolet Street rod. For lock up I did the B&M on the Elky 3:73 and Bowler Transmission electric on the Street Rod 3:90.
Now if I just can get a 5 speed to replace my Muncie in the 64 ......

Wayne
TC # 186
ACES#1556

post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 16, 9:33 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Never too late Wayne. I've gone off track a little since I began this thread...it's currently on the way to being a Stock Eliminator race entry which will be using a metric 200 three speed transmission.

It will be back on the street at some point in time tho and all the info is useful.

Rich

1967 El Camino (White)

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 16, 2:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneK View Post
A little late to the party.... I voted for an 700R Why .. because there plentiful and the stuff to make it last is well documented. As for the TV cable I use Bowtie Overdrive kits
did my 65 Camino and last year MY 38 Chevrolet Street rod. For lock up I did the B&M on the Elky 3:73 and Bowler Transmission electric on the Street Rod 3:90.
Now if I just can get a 5 speed to replace my Muncie in the 64 ......
Legend is making a 5 speed with the ratios near the Muncie, with a 25% (?) OD and fits the original shift hole, as I understand.
Its the next step for me

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1135 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.