3Likes
  • 1 Post By Aaron
  • 2 Post By Tom Mobley

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 3:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony G

5 spd options....

I'm taking some flak from my other car buddies about not going with a 5 speed while building my rolling chassis. My original plan is to go with my freshly rebuilt Muncie M-20. With the new rear gear at 3:42 and 15" wheels the engine will be winding at 2800-3000 on the highway.

With funds in questions to spring for a new Tremac or McLeod 5 spd, what is the trans option on an earlier 5 spd. I believe Camaros and a few others had a light duty 5 spd. I will be putting 400 hp through the drive train so I have to consider that issue. I'm looking for an easy bolt in from an earlier 5 spd.

What's my options....?

'64 SS Coupe, 4 spd Muncie M-20, 12 bolt 3:42, 350sb 9.75:1, Edelbrock RPM top kit with roller cam, EB 600cfm carb.
Weekend driver....
Weekends need to be 4 days long every week.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 4:01 AM
Senior Tech Team

Re: 5 spd options....

Who cares what your buddies think, they won't be driving it, you will. If you can tolerate the rpm you will be turning at highway speed then run the Muncie.

As for your question, if you can find a Richmond or Doug Nash 5 speed that will be your easiest and cheapest heavy duty 5 speed. Unfortunately, most are not overdrive.

Steve R
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 6:26 AM
Tech Team
Allan

i kept my m20 and love it, i have a 3:31 diff
i did put larger taller tires on rear, that helped a lot
i can do freeway 75mph at just under 3000 rpm
down from about 3400rpms with the normal 15s.
my car has 15 inch rally wheels

Allan
66 SS396 325 HP M20

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 7:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

If you drive the car at all, especially any highway the 4 spd will get old fast. If you don't drive a whole lot or just back roads/around town, I think you'll tolerate the 4 spd.

*69 SS 502 EFI /224* HR/9.8:1/T56/3.90 11.5/124mph
*11 C6, 6.2, 6spd
*96 Stang 6.0 turbo 10.5/135mph
*2011 Mustang GT premium
*61" Scag Kohler 22hp 7mph
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 7:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I think you have a nice combo.

If you run a 3:42 gear and or 3:55 gear with a 27" to 28" rear tire, you will have a 2500 to 3000 rpm cruise at 60 mph. I had a powerglide with a 3:08 and it cruised at about the same. I dont know why that was, but I thought I would mention that.

If you tune your engine with a good timing curve and or lock it out and use manifold vacuum you will basically eliminate low speed bucking at around 10 to 15 mph. Like 36* of lock out timing with say 12* of vacuum at cruise.

The milder the cam the better to get that 400 horse. If it is rowdy you still will have to tune, tune, and tune to get where you need to be.

That is only concern I see there.

If you want the rpms down even more at high speed cruise, just make sure the cruise rpm is still within the powerband of the cam and the cam does not start to lope at cruise.

You do have a choice of overdrive with what you have already said or another transmission, or maybe a gear vendor unit.

If you just drive the car on Saturday and Sunday, I dont see the extra money spent on that overdrive.
blm likes this.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 7:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Save your money and get the Tremec. A T5 out of a 92 Camaro would work, as long as you drive like a 90 year old woman.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 1:17 PM
Tech Team
Nate

Go with an M22Z (2.98 1st) gearset; and change your axle gears to 3.08s. Re-use a lot of your cars current parts; and have O/D cruise-ability in a compact package. Also remember OD manuals can be a little noisy in 5th/6th depending on design.

Id pick M22Z and axle change OR the Legend 5spd out of the crop (if you give in to peer pressure and MUST have OD). You MAY find that the current available OD ratios are too severe of a drop to pair with your current axle ratio; something that you should verify.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 4:40 PM

I would recommend taking a look at something like a new TKO instead of an older light duty 5-speed. If you are making 400hp, you run the possibility of breaking something like an old T-5. If you can budget for it, a Tremec TKO that can handle 500ft/lbs or more is always going to be a safer bet.

What size are your rear tires? What are you planning on doing with the vehicle? HDC offers three different TKO transmission options for the '64 Chevelle with different 1st gear and overdrive ratios depending on what you are trying to achieve.

If you’re interested in, or have any questions about what it would take to run a TKO 5-speed, give us a call at 707-535-3030. We would be happy to go over all of your options and help you find the right parts for your swap.

Hurst Driveline Conversions
Complete 5 & 6-speed Tremec Overdrive Transmission Conversion Kits

Phone: 707.544.4761
Email:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 16, 6:33 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

jeeze, seems like every post is turning into a vendor parts for sale ad.
haughty and davewho1 like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
5 speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1288 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.