Gear wear pattern (not GM) - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Gear wear pattern (not GM)

I hope I don't offend anybody posting a question about a non-Chevelle rear.

My brother replaced the bearings in a Ram dualie rear, with well over 200k miles on it. I thought I'd see if the experts have an opinion about the looks of the pattern. It has the original gears and pinion shim. Doesn't have carrier shims -- it has a screw-in adjuster on each side. The rear is kind of like a non-removable Ford third-member, the way I see it.

Thanks for any opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	258842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	258850  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 10:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Re: Gear wear pattern (not GM)

What's the backlash at there? Did you turn the pinion or the ring gear to get the pattern?

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

The backlash is at .005 and the book says .005 to .007 (for an 11.5 inch Dodge rear). Unfortunately he didn't check the backlash before he pulled it apart. (He didn't ask me ahead of time :-) He got the pattern by turning the pinion with a drag on the ring gear through the e-brake.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 10:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Probably pretty good for a gear with that many miles on it. You might need to make a slight pinion depth adjustment. The coast pattern looks like it's centered pretty we'll between the root and face. It's heavy on the toe side, but you might be able to adjust the backlash a little and help that. What is the backlash right now?

Is that a Truetrac differential?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 15, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks for the insights.

He's got about .005 backlash. I asked whether he measured at 3 places and he said he did, and it varied up to about .006 backlash. But he also said he was having a tough time getting the dial indicator itself to stay steady.

I don't know if it's a truetrac but I can ask him. I can tell you I helped him pull the carrier out last weekend and it was a true back breaker :-)

Are you thinking increase the backlash a hair?

What might he do with the pinion depth? To my untrained eye I couldn't tell.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 1:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

This looks like the newer style 2 step gear. These gears have a biased pattern when new, and I haven't had enough experience with them to read the patterns very well. I would check the service manual and see what the backlash is suppose to be set at and then add about .001 to .002 to that. The newer gears run much less backlash than the older 5 step gears. Try it with the pinion depth like it is and see if it runs quiet.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 15, 9:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks Freddie.

I believe it's an '11 model truck and the manual says .005 to .007 backlash. I was thinking he ought to at least be on the loose end of that range given the mileage, and going beyond it makes sense to me given the high mileage. It's a work truck, and it's been worked and now rebuilt hopefully go another 200k+ miles.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Freddie,

My brother opened up the backlash as you suggested and got a nice pattern -- I was amazed how much it improved -- and reports that it's back on the road with no noise. So thanks again. You are a treasure.

He's now working on a Mopar 9 1/4, posi 3.90:1. Another in a fleet of a family member's work trucks. I had him check the backlash and take pictures of the "before" wear pattern, so that he'll know what the "after" should look like. Are you still in business and selling parts? Doing rebuilds? He's looking to get info. on parts or a rebuilt unit.

Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 3:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I'm glad it worked out well for him. I closed my business in 2012. I still do some rear ends from time to time, but not like I did before. I stopped doing them under the car and now I make people remove the rear end and bring it to me, or take it somewhere else.

If he does what you told him to do then it should be a lot easier this time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1663 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.