1970 Chevelle Legend700 5 Speed Install Info - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

1970 Chevelle Legend700 5 Speed Install Info

We are far enough into the 1970 Chevelle Legend700 5 Speed install to post pictures and answer questions. As a '70 Chevelle owner, I am very pleased how well the Legend700 fit within the tunnel.

Today's new type high performance transmissions need a precision bellhousing alignment, the Legend700 is no exception. If needed, you will need to correct the parallel bellhousing alignment before you attempt to correct the concentric alignment. See the "Bell Housing dial in" post in the sticky section above, it includes my bellhousing alignment procedure.

To date, I have done at least 30+ QuickTime bellhousing alignment checks and 90% of them needed shims between the bellhousing and engine block to correct the parallel alignment. Do not be fooled by any manufacture advertising a precision made bellhousing that does not require indexing. All bellhousings should be checked with a dial indicator for proper alignment, do not use any gimmick alignment tools.

I started this post "Legend700 5 Speed Candy" a few motnths ago: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651178

Here is the Legend700 unit we will be installing into the 1970 Chevelle. I will be here to answer any questions about the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackLenged03.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	218602   Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackLenged04.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	218610  

Jody Haag

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most 4, 5, and 6 Speed Repairs, Parts, Service & Custom Installations
610-413-8015

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JodysTransmissions; Nov 24th, 14 at 7:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 2:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: !970 Chevelle Legend700 5 Speed Install

Fantastic!

I look forward to following along.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 12:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Look forward to the install Jody.

By the way, I see your name in the Muscle Car Review magazine. December issue page 56.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 8:00 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale H View Post
Look forward to the install Jody.

By the way, I see your name in the Muscle Car Review magazine. December issue page 56.
Yes, that was a Muncie concourse restoration I did for Scott Walters and his beautiful RAM AIR IV GTO. Scoring 997 out of 1000 points is pretty impressive at the Musclecar and Corvette Nationals. He spent a lot of money restoring that rare car.

Unfortunately, Scott recently sold his girl and misses her already!

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 9:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Re: 1970 Chevelle Legend700 5 Speed Install Info

Before we start the Legend700 installation, there are a few important checks we do to eliminate problems down the road. These extra steps should be checked with any transmission installation. These extra steps will net higher RPM shifts and a much smoother running driveliine.

Mounting the flywheel to measure the wobble and runout are 1st things on the list.
Industry Standard Flywheel Specifications
Flywheel Wobble: +/-.002" or .004" TIR
Flywheel Runout: +/-.002" or .004" TIR

The first picture shows how to measure the flywheel wobble, the dial indicator plunger is reading the clutch disc surface as you rotate the engine 360*.

The second picture shows how to measure the flywheel runout, the dial indicator plunger is reading the outer edge surface as you rotate the engine 360*.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FlywheelWobble01.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	218930   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlywheelRunout01.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	218938  

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 3:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Jody, when you measure the wobble, do you have to do anything with regards to crankshaft end play?

72 Chevelle SS conv
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 9:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Jim, Good question.......

I apply rearward pressure to the crankshaft as I rotate it. Usually after three revolutions the crankshaft is at zero endplay on the rear main bearing. Then you just need to keep applying rearward pressure as you rotate the crankshaft checking the bellhousing parallel alignment.

Wherever your "zero" reference is with your dial indicator, make sure it is "zero" after your 360* rotation. This will verify your crankshaft did not have any axial float movement off the rear main bearing.

My Personal Alignment Tip: I always try to do the bellhousing alignment as soon as the crankshaft is fitted into the engine block. I then rotate the engine with the installed crankshaft in the verticle position. Support the engine and the mounted bellhousing will be on the topside. This eliminates any crankshaft float to check the parallel alignment. Plus, without the pistons and rods installed, you can easily spin the crankshaft and do the entire bellhousing alignment by yourself.

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 9:42 AM
Team Member
Dan

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd

If the flywheel is found to have a wobble or run out, wouldn't one also have to verify that the crank flange itself is true, or is the assumption made that it is true?

What are your preferred parts for the bell housing shims and alignment dowels?

Dan

A
fer cyrin out loud, it's that IMPALA guy again.
If I recall correctly my memory is excellent. My ability to access it is not.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 2:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
If the flywheel is found to have a wobble or run out, wouldn't one also have to verify that the crank flange itself is true, or is the assumption made that it is true?

What are your preferred parts for the bell housing shims and alignment dowels?

Dan
We are assuming the crankshaft flange is true, if not, you have a serious issue at hand.

If a flywheel is out of the wobble spec, then by all means indicate the crankshaft flange to verify what is out.

I buy industrial shims sizes by the 100's and can offer a multi shim kit that is very cost effective than buying them yourself. Industrial shims are usually sold in packs of 10, most jobs only need two of each shim size.

I only use the set screw locking type offset dowel pins such as the RobbMc.

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 5:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kent & Kam

Garage

Good deal...we should be getting ours in next month...this well be very helpful..thanks,,

1971 Chevelle Father/Son Build

Our Link

Team Chevelle #5544 North Texas Camaro Club
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 1:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 454 View Post
Good deal...we should be getting ours in next month...this well be very helpful..thanks,,
You will also need to contact your Legend distributor and use his specific install instructions to warranty your unit.

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 2:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
George

Man I wish I waited and got the 700. Not that the TKO600 is a bad unit but the 2-3 shift is what everyone says it is = SUX. Plus I wouldent of had to cut the floor. Live and learn.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 2:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Ok, hopefully your flywheel is within spec or better.

Now you can now install the blocksaver plate, bellhousing, and torque all bellhousing to engine fasteners to specs. Then mount your dial indicator to read the mounting face of the bellhousing. See my picture reference in this sticky....... https://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659650

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 14, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Ok, I figured out how to repost picture repeats to the forum. Here is the parallel alignment picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ParallelAlignmentTC01.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	223209  

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 7:28 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Ok, I figured out how to repost picture repeats to the forum. Here is the concentric alignment picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ParallelAlignmentTC02.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	223473  

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1970 chevelle , 5 speed , jody , legend700 , lgt700

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1527 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.