Should I just upgrade the 10 bolt? - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Should I just upgrade the 10 bolt?

I currently have an 8.2 10 bolt 2.73 peg leg. Motor/trans is a 350/350 mild cam, intake, carb, exhaust. Not enough power right now, and plan to have up to 400hp years from now.

I don't plan on drag racing or ever running slicks. Maybe a stick in the future, years from now. I run a 285 tire from C5/C6 vette.

Due to costs of upgrading to a 12 bolt, I'm thinking of slapping in a posi and gears in the 10 bolt.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 10:34 AM
Tech Team

Re: Should I just upgrade the 10 bolt?

If it were me, I'd look for a 12 bolt housing. Then, the slow accumulation of gears, posi, axles, brakes (could want disc by then). Unless you have a large wallet, your best bet is to save up. Why go with the 12 bolt vs the 10 you have now? Well, the 8.2 isnt the strongest, even with sticky street tires. Even a 8.5 would be better than that. Some might say a 12 bolt built up is overkill on the street. Depends on how that rear is built, and what parts you have in it.
Who knows, during all that saving, you might find a craigslist ad for "Chevy 12-bolt Posi, 3.55 $250". Though I paid that much for one of mine, I still have the original 12 bolt open rear I started with.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

The 10 bolt would be fine with your current package and street tires. The manual transmission would be hard on it, but will the car ever actually be converted? Most of the time future plans like that never come around. The 12 bolt wold be best for a 400 HP manual transmission combination, but when will that actually happen? You may be the type of person that actually follows through with plans like that. If you are then start looking for the 12 bolt and spend your money on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
I currently have an 8.2 10 bolt 2.73 peg leg. Motor/trans is a 350/350 mild cam, intake, carb, exhaust. Not enough power right now, and plan to have up to 400hp years from now.

I don't plan on drag racing or ever running slicks. Maybe a stick in the future, years from now. I run a 285 tire from C5/C6 vette.

Due to costs of upgrading to a 12 bolt, I'm thinking of slapping in a posi and gears in the 10 bolt.

Thoughts, suggestions?
10 bolt will be fine for the street IF....

You dont do burnouts
You dont race it
You dont install slicks
You dont nuetral drop it

Seriously though I have an 8.2 that was "built" by PO of ours and it just wont break(see below). I do know it has 4:10 gears, eaton posi and a diff girdle but thats all I know. I have a date coded 71 12 bolt ready to go it but I just cant see swapping till this one lets go.

The LS5 that powers it has ridiculous TQ and blows the tires off in all gears.
Street tires are inherently hard and wont hook so as long as thats the case you should be OK.

Now if your case involves rebuilding the entire 8.2 diff you already have you might as well put that $$ into a 12 bolt.

Marc S

71 SS 454 ELCO
TKO600
Strange 12bolt w/4.10
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Sounds like the best thing to do is save for the 12 bolt.

I offered this guy 300 for housing only and he declined:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/3967639832.html

Some cores. Sounds like 500 or so is the going rate for cores:
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/3962739956.html

http://rockford.craigslist.org/pts/3921197868.html

Thanks for the replies!

Matt

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 1:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

I found a complete Chevelle 12 bolt with 2.73 gears for $350 at the frog follies last weekend in Evansville IN. I didn't have a need for it so I passed. I probably should have bought it anyway. There are several listed on craigslist around here and in the Nashville area.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 1:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
I found a complete Chevelle 12 bolt with 2.73 gears for $350 at the frog follies last weekend in Evansville IN. I didn't have a need for it so I passed. I probably should have bought it anyway. There are several listed on craigslist around here and in the Nashville area.
How come I can't come across deals like that? I guess I'd have to leave the house once in a while, huh? I have 3 kids under 6 right now, so that is my excuse.

Matt

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochnak View Post
How come I can't come across deals like that? I guess I'd have to leave the house once in a while, huh? I have 3 kids under 6 right now, so that is my excuse.
Patience...

I agree, go for the 12-bolt... Gears, posi-unit, axles, etc, even labor should ALL cost about the same for either a 12-bolt or a 10-bolt...

Its only finding a housing thats going to cost extra...

If your current 8.2 works fine, then you have time to look around...

Lots of people think 12-bolts are like gold, even with an open carrier... But you will find these rearends usually don't sell too fast , if at all, at those prices...

Best bet, look for a complete setup with an open carrier, and hopefully in the $300-$500 range... Bare housings, make sure you have the caps...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 7:50 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

im in the same boat on my 67 el camino. granted its got a 307 in it now. tranny is a th400 with a 2500 stall. rear is a pegleg 308 10 bolt. Ive been searching around local for a 12 bolt but just cant find one for what I want to pay for one. Came across a 308 10 bolt posi out of a 66 el camino the other day, Decided to just stick with a 10 bolt. There a guy at the local strip running a 8.2 10 bolt with slicks, big block been running in the 12's for years with a 8.2 and hasnt broke it yet. But its got aftermarket axles, posi carrier etc. so it can be done, just not as sexy as having a 12 bolt under the car. jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 8:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Location: Aloha Oregon, a rainy but very green Portland suburb

I run the crap out of my 10 bolt 3.73's, 43 years old and still rockin.

My "Time Machine", sold and gone. Looking for another.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 9:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Make you wonder just how many 10 bolts on street cars really do break. I bet alot less than you would imagine. I would think the U joint, or something else would give first. (street car). jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed 3.55 12 bolt
66 el camino 350 th350 parts hauler
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 13, 10:43 PM
Banned
Anthony

If you do the 10 bolt, get a good posi unit like Eaton or Yukon which is pretty much the same thing just a bit cheaper. Then get some good aftermarket $250 axles and you`ll be just fine. my chevelle had a 8.2 10 bolt posi when I bought it and I`ve got about a 400hp 427bbc and I`m not easy on it. I already had a 12 bolt so I sent it out for rebuild and deeper gears otherwise that 10 bolt would still be in it.

Another option would be a 9" set up. Some guys dont like them but they are cheaper than a 12 bolt, easy to rebuild and easy to swap gears in. Check out www.quickperformance.com Brydon is awesome to deal with.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 12:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

In years past when I was young and stupider, I have broken 10 bolts several times... Spider gears and axles, broke a ring gear in a 4 speed equipped 301 SBC in a 67 Chevelle, and an L82 350 in a 71.

So, yeah...you can break them, believe me.

Makes sense that Yankee Rodder's 3.73 survives. The 3.73 has the obvious leverage advantage and posi advantage, which might explain why it has lived so well. Mine were open 3.07ish (can't recall, but the typical stock 3.0something 10 bolt ratios for 67 and 71)

Just one report here...

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Bo

Look up Tom Lowe on this forum. He is out of Iowa. Built me a 12 bolt, Eaton posi, my choice of gears, all new Yukon internals with a TA cover for in the neighborhood of $1,700. I did have an old housing that I gave him that knocked the price down $200. And mine was unpainted, no backing plates, brakes, or lug bolts, etc...

Anyway, it's still a lot of money, but in the scheme of things?

This is a great rear end. Plug and play. Freddie may do the same thing. Not sure of the prices anymore. This was a few years ago and I picked it up -- no shipping. Bo.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 13, 6:12 AM
Tech Team
Mike

I dont feel $2000 is a huge some for a performane part that lasts nearly the life of the car.
You could always buy the parts and attempt the rebuild yourself..although 12 bolts are becoming harder to find..may just be better to go aftermarket.

1971 Pontiac Lemans Olds 350
1973 Buick Centurion Ragtop 455
1974 Chevy El Camino Classic 350
1976 Pontiac Trans Am 455
1997 Honda Valkyrie 6 cylinders,6 carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2215 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.