Team Chevelle banner

Converting a 68-72 from auto to 4sp with pictures

71K views 44 replies 35 participants last post by  DZAUTO 
#1 · (Edited)
We have been converting my son's 68 4dr 300 from a PG to a Muncie. This has been a VERY slow ongoing process since he wrecked it a few yrs ago, but now the progress has speeded up.
I had the pictures in BENCH RACING and the moderator suggested I put the pictures (especially proper clutch linkage) here. So here is a PG car converted to Muncie with all the correct parts (except the Hurst).

This is what we have been working with (yes, we have all the parts, it's just been taking time to get my son motivated to work on it).

Except for cutting the hole in the floor for the shifter hump and a hole in the firewall for the clutch push rod, converting an auto tranny 68-72 car to a manual tranny is a 100% bolt-in swap.

The ORIGINAL cross member is retained (depending on which tranny is installed, all frames have multiple holes for proper positioning of the cross member). All the cross members are the same. FACTORY 4sp cars have a couple of brackets welded to the cross member for the factory Muncie shifter, but original FACTORY Muncie shifters will eventually become troublesome, thus it is wiser to go with a Hurst shifter and install one of the bolt-on replica MUNCIE shift handles (sold by Ground Up).

This is the bench seat hump installed. It is an ORIGINAL hump from another car (the repo humps are excellent).

See less See more
#30 ·
Hi Y'all,
I'm been following DZAuto's pics on a auto to 4spd. conversion but for some reason can only see a few out of the total amount he was kind enough to post!
I'm resto a 68 Malibu to my dream ride(383/400HP .410 rear) & just got a reblt. 4spd M20 wide-ratio w/all the hardware: clutch, bellhousing, new pedal w/Zbar kit..etc. My question is I have a original factory console w/staple shifter that are desirable & would like to keep. They sell 4spd. uppr. plts which tells me a OEM 4spd. w/console setup s/be relatively EZ, but as in all things auto. "**** happens":D That being said, my question is do I have to do any tweaking with the trans. tunnel/firewall? I read Chevy has all the pre-existing holes for a manual 2 pedal swap, but none mention if I need, or don't need to modify my trans.tunnel to be able to keep my OEM floor console?? Any replies would be greatly appreciated,

Peace, A.

#31 ·
Hi DZ,
I've been following your helpful posts, & pics on how to properly convert a OEM 68 Chevelle/Malibu w/factory floor console, "staple OEM shifter w/a currently installed TH200R auto.trans. to a final factory looking OEM Muncie M20 4 speed wide ratio w/Hurst shiftr. sold as a complete refurbished assembly (bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, linkage etc...etc) Unfortanetly, I can only open about 4 out of 10 pics youve posted along w/description of instl. Is there anywhere else I can download your entire photo/posts of this not so simple conversion? I'd really appreciate your time & effort not to mention the successfull outcome! I beleive my home email is on my PM profile if needed, or let me know if there is anyway to link up your great demo?
Much appreciated, regards, boulonman (Alan):thumbsup::thumbsup:

#32 ·
The ORIGINAL cross member is retained (depending on which tranny is installed, all frames have multiple holes for proper positioning of the cross member). All the cross members are the same. FACTORY 4sp cars have a couple of brackets welded to the cross member for the factory Muncie shifter, but original FACTORY Muncie shifters will eventually become troublesome, thus it is wiser to go with a Hurst shifter and install one of the bolt-on replica MUNCIE shift handles (sold by Ground Up).

I too am converting an Automatic 1970 Chevelle to a Muncie 4 Speed. The shop that did the work, claimed that the automatic transmission cross member and the 4-speed cross member is different. They had to make a "Dent" in the cross member and use some thick washers (1/8th inch) between the frame and the cross member to allow the reverse linkage to clear. What's up with this? Do I need to be concerned?

I also could not get all the photos you included with your post to load. Thank you for the detail instructions.

#33 ·
Hey DZ,
thanks for the posts and information. Just completed the swap from a th350 to an m21 on my 72 Chevelle malibu. Took a bit longer than I thought but easy enough, i did it all on my driveway over the course of a couple weeks (I definitely got lazy and worked real slow...)
i'll have to post a build thread of the car soon.

Jim, I used my factory crossmember without any problems, but i did use a husrt shifter and all hurst linkage, soon to be long shifter setup

#39 ·
I just finished my swap. 72 th350 car to muncie 4 speed. still have to weld in my hump, but thats easy. i ordered the wrong hurst shifter, so waiting on the new one. went to target and bought a 10$ welcome mat. cut a slit in it and its covering up the hole for now. funny as hell. people are like... is that.... im like ya. yes it is lol

#41 ·
This definitely my plan for my 71 Malibu....
I've got a 396/402 and 4spd...
I'm leaving the bench and quite possibly leaving the sweep dash (though add a tach).

it's a shame that the majority of the pics are no longer visible.
but I get the general idea... And this is a project I can do myself (love with I can do my own stuff).

#44 ·
I'll try to attach the pictures that I've been able to find so far.
This is the best I can do guys.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.