Yet another new 5 speed or ??? - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 11:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kirk

Re: Yet another new 5 speed or ???

We're having a discussion which is part of the forum. I Answered a few questions regarding the issue with producing oversees. Someone wants to challenge so i showed my data.

1970 Chevelle. ls3 tremec 6 speed conversion in progress along with a frame off restore.
1972 Chevy K5 Blazer CST Highlander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 12:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

I was looking at an RS600 for an auto to manual swap but the price of $5200 and a 12 month wait that the sales guy quoted says forget about it. No one deserves to have my money for that long no matter how great they may be.

"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space" - Jim Whittaker

Ermine White/Red 1967 Chevelle Malibu
Forged Mike Lewis 383 rotating assembly
AFR Eliminator 195's
Lunati Voodoo 60122 roller cam
Inglese 50mm 8 stack injection
FAST XFI Street
SC&C Stage II Plus suspension
Hotchkis/Hellwig sway bars
Tremec TKO 600
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 12:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kirk

$5200? That's a bit more than what I am hearing it costs. What does that include?

1970 Chevelle. ls3 tremec 6 speed conversion in progress along with a frame off restore.

post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 11, 1:40 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy111 View Post
We're having a discussion which is part of the forum. I Answered a few questions regarding the issue with producing oversees. Someone wants to challenge so i showed my data.
Suppliers are not an issue, the supply chain is. When making transmission gears you cannot use multiple suppliers for your own design. There is a simple expense called tooling cost. Tools are made for castings and gear cutting. These tools are usually not transferable to other gear cutters or foundries. You have to amortize your tooling costs over several runs sometimes before you have a profit. All the current 5 speed kits are based on some other OEM design to offset some of the tooling costs. Example...there would be no reason to tool and make a reverse gear if one is cheaper from the OEM. There are Taiwanese gears currently made for the T45, T5 and T56. This actually HELPS the supply chain because Tremec ( made in Mexico ) is one supplier and they have huge issues getting people parts and transmissions. People need to get over the China thing considering none of the manual transmissions in US cars are made in this country.This is what I mean by the supply chain problem. Less inventory is stocked across the board ( even raw materials ) to save money. We are fortunate to have some aftermarket companies overseas making gears with little or no tooling costs because they are guaranteed a high volume order.
It is my job as a parts distributor and manufacturer to FORCAST trends in the supply line and stock more to keep my product line moving. Paying your vendors on time or ahead of time keeps them from ignoring you when they may have cash flow issues. There are lots of companies in this country that can cut gears and can do a damn good job. However patriotism will not get you anywhere in this business. We have made beautiful gears in the USA and lost big time because people will not pay as little as $15 more for a better quality piece.

Thanks,

Paul Cangialosi
http://www.MuncieBook.Com
http://www.transmissionbook.com ( Facebook Support )
http://paul.video ( Youtube Videos)
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 7:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kirk

Well I for one love the fact there are bolt in 5 speeds for or cars. I think we all benefit from a little competition anyway so hopefully next year we will see Keislers new rs and Mcleod will actually start offering something. The only thing keeping me from the t56 is the cutting. The rs700 is very tempting if it materializes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
5 speed , keisler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2729 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.