Team Chevelle banner

1966-67 Z bars clutch rods, OEM & Repop / 1964-72 Hydraulic vs Mechanical Clutches & 1964-72 Hydraulic Under DashSystem, T56 Install- Parts Swap, TKX

69K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Gary 396 
#1 · (Edited)
1967 Chevelle 2nd Design Mid Year Z Bar Design with Curved Upper Arm
1967 Chevelle 2nd Design Mid Year Z Bar Design with Curved Upper Arm

In 1967 there were two versions of both BBC & SB Z bars. There was a mid-year change on both due to the Offset Steering Column Bracket Design that was needed for the New Collapsible Column Design for 1967. The 1966 and very early 1967 Z bars had a Straight Upper Arm, while the later ones (2nd Design GM 3921040) had a Curved Upper arm. This meant there could have been a Mid Year change for the upper push rods which I can not confirm. This was true for the Small Blocks and the Big Blocks. See the attached Photos of the photos of the late 1967 Z Bars

The 1967 Z Bar 2nd Design (GM 3921040) has the Upper Curved Arm that’s has the same bend (dog leg) as a 1968 Chevelle Z Bar / Bellcrank. which makes the Clutch Linkage Geometry Align Better. (the only difference between the early 1967 and the late 1967 is the upper arm which has a Bend (dog leg) which aligns Better with the Pedal Rod and Eliminates some of the Side Loading on the Bellcrank due to the Offset Steering Column Bracket Design that was needed for the New Collapsible Column Design for 1967.
Wire
Table

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: 67 Z Bars 396
1966 Chevelle 1st Design to 1967 Mid Year Z Bar Design with Straight Upper Arm

The 1966- Early 1967 Z Bar Design had a Straight Upper Arm. See Photo. Also see Photo of 1967 Z Bar second Design with Offset Upper Arm installed.

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Difference Between 1966 Chevelle Steering Column Bracket Versus 1967 Chevelle Collapsible Steering Column Bracket
Difference Between 1966 Chevelle Steering Column Bracket Versus 1967 Chevelle Collapsible Steering Column Bracket

The 1966 Clutch Pedal Rod had a bend near the center of the rod. See Photo of 66 Clutch Rod with 66 Clutch Pedals. The 1967 Clutch Pedal Rod had a bend in the rod farther down and closer to the firewall. See Photo of 67 Clutch Rod with 67 Clutch Pedals.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Original Chevelle Clutch Linkage Rod Design Versus Bad Fitting After Market Built Clutch Rod Design Hitting Steering Bracket
Original Chevelle Clutch Linkage Rod Design Versus Bad Fitting After Market Built Clutch Rod Design Hitting Steering Bracket

The After Market Clutch Rods are not properly machined and have wide 90 degree bends which interfere with the clutch pedal operation. The Original Clutch Rods have a machined shoulder that is very close to the 90 degree end of the rod where the rod attaches to the pedal and the upper Z Bar rod. See Photo of 1966 Original Clutch Rod with tight 90 ends and compare with photo After Market Clutch Rods which causes interference at interior attachment point because the After Market Rod has wide 90 ends not machined close to the 90 degree bend in Clutch Rod and causes the bend in the rod to rub against the 1967 Clutch Pedal Housing.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)

A Photo of the 1967 Clutch Pedals shows the wide bend in the After Market Clutch Rod that hits and interferes with the Steering Column Frame of the Clutch Pedal Assembly which causes interference and binding. Also a Photo of an Original Clutch Rod End that is properly machined with the tight 90 degree end which gives more clearance away from the Clutch Pedal Frame and allows a smoother operation to disengage the clutch.

Attachments

#17 ·

A Photo of the 67 Clutch Pedals shows the wide bend in the After Market Clutch Rod that hits and interferes with the Frame of the Clutch Pedal Assembly which causes interference and binding. Also a Photo of an Original Clutch Rod End that is properly machined with the tight 90 degree end which gives more clearance away from the Clutch Pedal Frame and allows a smoother operation to disengage the clutch.
Gary

That is the same problem I got from a 67 pushrod from NPD.

The other (smaller bend) pushrod is from OPG about 20 years ago.

Of course, Im in the process of making the smaller bend one work on my Dads 67

Check out my thread here

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419201

#6 · (Edited)

Speed Direct Custom Chevelle Mechanical Clutch Linkages with Heim Rod Ends
Speed Direct Custom Chevelle Mechanical Clutch Linkages with Heim Rod Ends

Revised 11-6-2022
I had made a earlier mistake in this Post about the 1966 clutch rod having a bend in the middle of the clutch rod and the 1967 clutch rod having a bend farther down and closer to the firewall. I have both rods in front of me and the bends are both the same, but there is a difference in the length of the 1966 when compared to the 1967 clutch rod. The 1966 clutch rod is 13" long center to center where it attaches to the Z bar and the clutch pedal. The 1967 clutch rod is 13 3/8" long center to center where it attaches to the Z bar and the clutch pedal which is due to the new 1967 Chevelle Shock absorbing steering column and the one year design in the frame that holds the clutch and brake pedals and steering column.

Because the aftermarket Clutch Rods are improperly machined and an original Clutch Rod may be Hard to find, there is a Company called Speed Direct that make the Heim Clutch Rod Setup for a 1967-81 Camaro (7010-125) (New Speed Description =1970-1981) with a Bend in the middle of the Rod which I first used. I have found that over time that the Bend in the Middle of my Camaro Speed Direct Rod slightly Rubs against my 1967 Chevelle Steering Column Frame. My old Speed Direct Camaro Linkage is made out of Hard Metal which is Good. I recently Straightened out the Middle Bend in my Camaro Speed Direct Rod using a Vise or Press and it works perfect. A sample of the 1967-81 Camaro Rod is found at this internet address:

Most New Speed Direct Straight Clutch Rods are made out of Aluminum versus Hard Metal. I Believe that the Camaro may still be made with a Hard Metal.
I recently purchased Speed Direct’s 1967 Chevelle Linkage to Update and replace my old Speed Direct Camaro Linkage with the middle bend in the rod that I had Installed about 8 to 10 years ago which worked good but slightly hit the Steering Column Bracket. I found that the new Speed Direct Linkage for the 1967 Chevelle 396 that I had recently purchased was shorter when compared to my old Speed Direct Camaro Linkage.

The new Speed Direct 1967 Chevelle BBC Linkage that I received measured Center to Center Hole Measurement with the Heim Ends was 11” Long (9.75” without the Heim Joints). My Old Camaro Speed Direct one that I had purchased about 8 to 10 years measured center to center 13.5” with the Heim Ends.

Because I had removed the old Linkage and the new one was shorter, I decided that while I had my Chevelle apart, I just straightened out my Old Speed Direct Camaro Linkage by removing the middle Camaro bend with a Vise / Press into a straight rod. The Straighten old Speed Direct Rod that formerly rubbed against my 1967 Chevelle Steering Column Frame now worked with no rubbing.

The new Speed Direct 1967 Chevelle Straight Clutch Rod that I received is made out of Aluminum versus Hard Metal. The Speed Direct Website Photos appear to be showing that their 1970 to 1981 Camaro Clutch Linkage may still be made with a Hard Metal.

The Point that I want to make here is, that according to the Speed Direct Website, they are willing to make their Chevelle Clutch Linkage to Your Specifications. Therefore, I would measure the length of the Clutch Linkage Center to Center that you need and call Speed Direct 888-425-2776 to request the exact length of straight clutch Linkage with Heim Joints Center to Center that You Need.

The Speed Direct Clutch Heim Rod setup for the Chevelle is straight with no bend in the center of the rod. A sample of the 1966-67 Speed Direct Clutch Rod Setups are found at: RodLinks Clutch Linkages | Speed Direct

The Heim ends do offer the necessary clearance (tight bend) which allows smooth clutch operation.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)

Super Chevy Heim Clutch Rod Installation for 1966-67 Chevelles
Super Chevy Heim Clutch Rod Installation for 1966-67 Chevelles

Here are 2 Internet Articles for the Heim Clutch Rod Installation for 66 - 67 Chevelles. This first one is found at:
Chevy Clutch Linkage Kits - Spherical Rod End Clutch Linkages - Super Chevy Magazine

And a second Article is found at: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/49878_clutch_linkage_build/index.html (No Longer Available)

Also a Photo of a Heim Clutch Rod Installation on a 1966 Chevelle that shows the clearance between Heim end and Clutch Pedal Frame. Note that the Clutch Rod is not in a fully closed position in relation to upper Clutch Pedal Rubber stop where the 90 degree Clutch Rod clearance will be tighter when the clutch pedal rests on the Rubber Clutch Pedal Stop.

Attachments

#8 ·

I guess I now know why my aftermarket clutch rod doesn't fit right. I had to modify the steering column bracket for the rod to work. Tkanks for the info.

#13 · (Edited)

Here is a Photo of an original 1966 to early 1967 Chevelle Z Bar being GM Part Number 3872895. If you look closely, you will notice the slight bend in the Z Bar arm about 1" inch before the (hole) at the tip of this Z Bar arm where the clutch rod connects to the bell housing fork. This slight bend in both the early and late design allows for better rod alignment. The aftermarket Chevelle Z Bars do not have this slight bend. If you look at the first post photo of the later design Zbar you can see the cease in the metal for this slight bend. Another way to improve alignment / clearance of the Chevelle Z Bar arm especially when you have headers on a 396 is to use a cresent wrench while the Zbar is hookedup (except disconnect the bellhousing rod from the clutch rod with the oil filter removed). Then tighten the cresent wrench down on the very end of the Zbar and move the Zbar arm to the position that bests clears your headers and the engine block. Do not over bend the clutch arm as you may break the welds on the arm. Also, Chevelles with headers that hit or rub the Lower Control Arms can be adjusted for more clearance by buying some heavy duty tie down straps and wrapping them around both headers (and positioned on the top and below the transmission) tightening them together which bend the headers inward and give you the required header clearance. If possible, leave these straps on over night. The Headers should move enough to give you an extra 1/4 to 1/2" inch clearance.

Attachments

#16 ·
Who sells the best clutch rod for a 67.

According to the catalogs of NPD and Ground Up......they are very different.

I have been using my clutch rod from a kit I got from OPG back about 20 years ago, worked fine on my car, but I have been having to try and bend it with a torch to get the right angle so I dont hit the open in the firewall with it. You would think my Dads 67 would fit just like my 67, NOT.

#18 ·
Topic: Clutch Spring L Bracket Location Measurements for 1966 and 1967 Chevelles with 4 speed Transmissions. I have searched extensively for the correct measurements for locating the Clutch Spring L Bracket and have found a Post and Photos provided by Terry a.k.a. xoldschlracer66 on chevelles.com The web addresses are http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435121 and http://s776.photobucket.com/user/twaynedavis/media/wytheraceway09992.jpg.html The measurements are 2 1/2" inches under a floor lip (which is located below the speedometer hole for automatic trans) and 4 1/2" inches starting from the left side of body support bracket. See attached Terry Photos.

Attachments

#20 ·
Awesome reference sticky!! Is there a difference between a big block and small block Z bar and rods on a mid/late 67 Chevelle? If so, what is the difference and how can you determine the difference?

Joe

#21 ·
In '67 there were two versions of both BB & SB Z bars. There was a mid-year change on both. The 66 and very early 67 Z bars had a straight upper arm, while the later ones (2nd Design GM 3921040) had a curved upper arm. This meant there could have been a mid year change for the upper push rods which I can not confirm. This was true for the small blocks & the big blocks. See the attached Photos of the photos of the late 67 Z Bars

The 67 Z Bar 2nd Design (GM 3921040) has the upper curved arm thats has the same bend (dog leg) as a 68 Z Bar / bellcrank. It makes the clutch linkage geometry align perfectly. (the only difference between the early 67 and the late 67 is the upper arm which has a Bend (dog leg) which aligns better with the pedal rod and eliminates side loading on the bellcrank.

[/QUOTEoem z bars are weak they need to be beefed up
In '67 there were two versions of both BB & SB Z bars. There was a mid-year change on both. The 66 and very early 67 Z bars had a straight upper arm, while the later ones (2nd Design GM 3921040) had a curved upper arm. This meant there could have been a mid year change for the upper push rods which I can not confirm. This was true for the small blocks & the big blocks. See the attached Photos of the photos of the late 67 Z Bars

The 67 Z Bar 2nd Design (GM 3921040) has the upper curved arm thats has the same bend (dog leg) as a 68 Z Bar / bellcrank. It makes the clutch linkage geometry align perfectly. (the only difference between the early 67 and the late 67 is the upper arm which has a Bend (dog leg) which aligns better with the pedal rod and eliminates side loading on the bellcrank.
oem z bars are weak. they need to be beefed up

#22 · (Edited)
Hydraulic versus Mechanical Clutch Linkage
Hydraulic versus Mechanical Clutch Linkage

Gary 396 11-6-2022. Here is a McLeod Clutch Article that Compares a Mechanical Clutch Setup to a Hydraulic Clutch Setup. This Article basically states that the Pedal Feel of a Mechanical vs Hydraulic Clutch is Soley dependent on the Pressure Plate Pressure and whether the Mechanical Clutch Pedal Components are Worn.

Automatic to Manual Transmission Steering Column Conversion
Automatic to Manual Transmission Steering Column Conversion

Here is a You Tube Article showing the Automatic Transmission to Standard Transmission Conversion that requires changes to the Chevelle Steering Column for the 3rd Clutch Pedal.

#23 · (Edited)
T56 Mechanical Clutch Linkage Modification
T56 Mechanical Clutch Linkage Modification

This is Gary 396. Since I Originally started this Post about the different Clutched Linkages for 1966-1967 Chevelles, I have used all of the proceeding tips in this Post to install a Mechanical Clutch Linkage for my T56 which replaced my Muncie M20 4 Speed Transmission. I had originally purchased from Jody's Transmissions my Lower Mechanical Conversion Linkage Rod. However, My installer had to modify the Custom Jody Lower Mechanical Linkage Rod by increasing the width as shown in my Photos for better Clutch Rod Alignment. See the following Photos:

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
T56 Parts Needed to T56 Chevelle Installation
T56 Parts Needed to T56 Chevelle Installation

This is Gary 396. I have a 1967 Chevelle SS 396 with Mechanical Clutch Linkage as described in my Posts. I would like to include in my Post the Parts Needed to install a T56 Mechanical Linkage setup in Your Chevelle. Most of the Parts are common for 1966 to 1972 Chevelles.

Dear Team Chevelle Members, I will outline the components and initial choices that you need to make to do a T56 Tremec Transmission conversion to a 1966 to 1967 Chevelle where I had replaced my existing standard 4 speed Muncie Transmission. First place to start is to obtain the correct components for this conversion. The best place that I found to obtain most of my T56 parts was to contact Jody from Jody’s Transmission (located near Philadelphia, PA) whom is a Tremec Dealer at 610-413-8015. The are other Reputable Tremec Dealers such as Silver Sport Transmissions and American Power Train.

TREMEC TKO, TREMEC Magnum, & SST A41 Conversion Kits for 1964-1967 GM A Body: Chevelle, Tempest, GTO, El Camino, LeMans, Skylark, 442, Cutlass, Beaumont, Special

TREMEC TKX, TREMEC Magnum, & SST A41 Conversion Kits for 1968-1972 Chevrolet A Body: Chevelle, El Camino, and Monte Carlo

The First Choice that a Chevelle Owner Needs to make is whether to mechanically disengage your clutch or to hydraulically disengage your clutch. The first method of disengaging the clutch is the mechanical method which uses the Chevelle stock Z bar linkage setup (which is what I am going to discuss here) and the second method is to use the hydraulic master cylinder and clutch master cylinder. I had initially chose the mechanical linkage setup here because of it’s simplicity which uses the Quick Time Bell Housing RM6023PB ($1,029 approx). The hydraulically clutch disengagement method requires the use of a different Quick Time Bellhousing being Part # PM6023 that uses a hydraulic master cylinder mounted on the firewall along with a hydraulic throwout bearing using metal braded lines for the Hydraulic Fluid that replaces the conventional throw out bearing.

My Post Primarily Centers on the Chevelle Mechanical Clutch Linkage. However, Since I had first installed my Mechanical Clutch Linkage Years ago, American Power Train has recently come up with 10 different compact Hydraulic Pedal Setups for Chevelles with Master Cylinders that are installed under the Dash which is impressive. See my Next Post for more information and Here is The American Power Train Link is americanpowertrain.com

The next decision is whether to purchase a close ratio Tremec Transmission (TUET11009 / Ratios = 2.62, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .80, .64) or a wide ratio Tremec Transmission. (TUET11011? / Ratios 2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, .76, .50). The selection of Close Ratio to Wide Ratio Transmission depends on what Useable Operating RPM range that you want to be in while driving 70 MPH. A Chevelle with a Mid Cam can operate in the 1,500 RPM range at 70 MPH while a Chevelle with a Aggressive Cam has to operate in the 2,000 RPM range.

2017 to 2022 Year Approximate Pricing
TUET11009 T56 Magnum Close Ratio 2.66 / .63 Final Gear Approx $3,295 Jody's Transmissions LLC
RM6023PB Quick Time Bellhousing using a Mechanical Fork Approx $1,029
RM130 Quick Time Dial Indicator Plate for Trans Collar Alignment Approx $110
T56 Magnum Mechanical Throw Out Bearing Guide Collar (Call Jodys Trans (610) 413-8015 )
RM170 Quicktime T56 Bolts Kit
McRobb GM Offset Dowel Pin Kit
Jody’s Bellhousing Alignment Shim Kit
Jody’s Custom Clutch Rod Link Kit for RM6023PB
GM Corvette 3887177 Clutch Fork / 55-57 Chevy Danchuk 342 for McLeod Throwout Bearing ? (Purchase Only from Danchuck as others cheaply made & Bend)
GM #15976 Sintered Bronze Pilot Bearing
McLeod 16505 Adjustable Throwout Bearing (needed all spacers with 22 lb Flywheel
McLeod 6911-07 RST Twin Disc Clutch 26 spline / 11"
McLeod 460122 / 22 lb Flywheel 2 pc seal 1955-86 SMB / BBC
McLeod 1540 Flywheel Bolts 7/16 - 20 th GM
McLeod 1500 Pressure Plate Bolts 3/8 - 16 th GM
Jody’s 68730002 Complete Mechanical Speedo Assembly
Jody’s T56 Mechanical Speedo Driven Gear Ford Adapter, GM Cable adapter
Jody Synthetic Auto Trans Fluid
Bowler All In One Reverse Lockout Module $300 to $326 Tremec T-56 & Magnum - All-in-One Harness w/ Reverse Lock Out
3913002 Hurst Shifter 1967 Chevelle (modified shifter lever adapter to align with center hole on console
Detroit Speed Upper and Lower Rear Adjustable Suspension or Aftermarket Brand
Denny’s Brand Aluminum Driveshaft Specs for 1967 Chevelle with T56 Trans $700 -$900 Denny's Driveshafts offers a complete line of high speed high rpm balanced steel and aluminum driveshafts for your hot rod, street rod, race car, muscle car, classic car, pick up, van, 2 wheel drive or 4x4 truck
Denny's Drive Shaft Questions that He will Ask You which is as follows:
(B6) = Overall Measurement from edge of T56 Case to Horizontal Rear Yoke flat spot 55 3/8”
(B7) = How far does Spline Shaft stickout past T56 Transmission Case
(B8) = Does Not Apply, No Automatic Trans
(B9) = Yes Rear End has 2 locating Tabs
(B10) = 1350 U Joint = 3 5/8”
(B10A) = Not Applicable
(B11) = 1350 U Joint = 3 5/8”
Denny’s 3.5” Tube Diameter Aluminum Driveshaft with 1350 series U Joints upgraded to 1350 Sonnax Slip Yoke for T56 Ford Spline 6 Speed Transmission

#25 · (Edited)
American Power Train Hydraulic Master Cylinder Under Dash Kit (2023 Price. $1,100) Includes Hydraulic Throwout Bearing and Transmission Collar
American Power Train Hydraulic Master Cylinder Under Dash Kit (2023 Price. $1,100) Includes Hydraulic Throwout Bearing and Transmission Collar

American Power Train Compact Under Dash Hydraulic Clutch Unit
American Power Train Compact Under Dash Hydraulic Clutch Unit

Mal Wood USA Hydraulic Master Cylinder Under Dash Kits (2023 Price. $625) NO Hydraulic Throwout Bear and Transmission Collar
Mal Wood USA Hydraulic Master Cylinder Under Dash Kits (2023 Price. $625) NO Hydraulic Throwout Bear and Transmission Collar
www.malwoodusa.com/hydraulic-under-dash/chevrolet/

This Gary 396 My Next Post being the American New American Power Train Compact Under Dash Hydraulic Clutch Unit.

American Power Train Video of 1966 Chevelle Install =

Mal Wood Install Video of 1967 Chevelle Assembly of Hydraulic Under Dash Unit

Mal Wood / American Power Train / Hanlon of Mustang Video Time at 10:50 AM Driving Experience of this New Under Dash Hydraulic Clutch Unit

The American Powertrain HYDRAMAX Bolt-In Under-Dash Hydraulic Clutch and Pedal System is for both 5 and 6 Speed GM Models americanpowertrain.com
American Power Train states No more cutting, reinforcing, or fabricating, and no more hunting for a clutch pedal for your previously automatic equipped car! Their new HYDRAMAX system from American Powertrain is the first uniquely designed comprehensive hydraulic clutch system for muscle cars and it is trick. It’s available with AND without the hydraulic slave/ throw-out bearing, so it will work with your existing parts as well. Check out all the info and this website links = americanpowertrain.com

American Powertrain has expanded their HYDRAMAX applications to include the new 5 and 6 speed GM models. This HYDRAMAX kit is designed for the 1964-’72 GM A-body Chevelle/GTO/Tempest/LeMans/El Camino/442/Cutlass Hydraulic kit for 5-speed and 6-speed, the 1967-81 GM F-body Camaro/Firebird Hydraulic kit for 5-speed and 6-speed, and the 1962-74 Nova Hydraulic kit for 5 and 6-speed. Additional HYDRAMAX kits available for GM models to include:
1964-67 GM A-body- Chevelle, GTO, LeMans, Cutlass, El Camino, Tempest, 442
1968-72 GM A-body- Chevelle, GTO, LeMans, Cutlass, El Camino, Tempest, 442
1967-69 GM Camaro/Firebird, 1970-81 GM Camaro/Firebird
1962-67 Nova/Chevy II, 1968-74 Nova
1960-66 C10 Truck, 1967-72 C10 Truck, 1973-87 GM Squarebody Truck

Their new system has an integrated under-dash hydraulic master cylinder and a bolt-in clutch pedal. Their included clutch pedal allows for easy conversion to hydraulic, or an automatic car to manual. The kit is easy to use and requires no complicated adjustments or junkyard searches for hard-to-find pedals. Everything is bolted-in followed by bleeding the slave cylinder.

Mal Wood USA Hydraulic Master Cylinder Under Dash Kits (2023 Price. $585)
Mal Wood USA Hydraulic Master Cylinder Under Dash Kits (2023 Price. $585)
www.malwoodusa.com/hydraulic-under-dash/chevrolet/

The Cost of a new HYDRAMAX kit (ranges between $625 to $1,100 which could include a master cylinder, clutch pedal, lines, and a billet HYDRAMAX hydraulic slave cylinder bearing. The conical slave cylinder is pre-bled, dual-sealed and comes with shims to adjust the distance to the clutch fingers for any type of clutch set-up. Included is a billet reservoir to finish out the installation. These kits work with any TREMEC transmission including the T5, TKO/TKX, and T-56 Magnum 6-speed. The hydraulic pedal is also available for purchase separately, with no hydraulic slave.

For more information about the new HYDRAMAX Under Dash Hydraulic Clutch System for GM five and six-speed classics, visit americanpowertrain.com. To speak with one of American Powertrain’s highly qualified sales technicians, call 931-646-4836.

#27 ·
Dear Humberd, Have You looked at the beginning of this / My Post about 8 to 10 years ago on this same thread with different 1966 - 1967 Z bars along with a photo that shows the Z Bar Frame Bracket that is welded to the Driver's Side Frame on 1966 to 1967 Chevelles? See Page 1 of this Thread, my 2nd Post that shows welded Z Bar Bracket to Frame. If You are converting Your 1966 Chevelle from Automatic to Manual You will have to purchase a new Z Bar Frame Bracket form a supplier such as NPD, SS396, OPGI. Also a Great Source for Used Chevelle Parts is Mike (Owner) of Red's Auto Parts (903-842-3141) whom has a Chevelle Junkyard in Troupe Texas. Mike is over 70 years old and has worked in one of the actual Chevelle Production Plants and is Very Knowledgable. Call Mike. Maybe he can cut off a original bracket from a 1966 Chevelle or could give some tips on installing the Z Bar Welded Bracket. Mike's price is Non Negotiable so do not bargain as he knows the market. The later 1968-1972 Chevelles use a bolt on to Frame Bracket Arrangement that does not need to be Welded. Sincerely Gary 396

#29 · (Edited)
Tremec TKX 5 Speed is Cost Effective, Parts Recommendation & Test Drive Video
Tremec TKX 5 Speed is Cost Effective, Parts Recommendation & Test Drive Video

11-6-2022
This is Gary 396. I want the Chevelle Hobby to Continue in the Future for the Younger Team Chevelle Men and Woman Here. Since Inflation has caused the Higher Pricing for Chevelle Parts. I believe that the Most Cost Effective Way for a Chevelle Owner today to update from their 4 speed to a 5 Speed Cruiser for the Highway is to use the Tremec TKX 5 Speed Transmission that requires No modifications to the Chevelle's Floor Pan and appears to use the Stock Chevelle Muncie 4 Bolt Bell Housing. However I have not found any articles discussing whether you can use your stock Mechanical Linkage. Most Articles seem to discuss using the Hydraulic Linkage. In that case I would recommend the American Power Train HydroMax as Discussed above posting for $1,100 Dollars for the TKX. In the event that the TKX can use the Stock Chevelle Linkage, that would sure lower the 5 Speed change over cost by $1,100 Dollars.

If You have a Street Cruiser, I would Recommend using a 11" Single Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Organic Clutch Disc (11" McLeod Street Pro 10 Spline = 75124 or 11" McLeod Street Pro 26 Spline = 75121), and Throwout Bearing from McLeod. Stay away from the Ceramic and Metallic McLeod Street Super Pro Clutch Setups. I had previously purchased a 11" McLeod Super Pro Street Clutch Setup for 550 HP that uses the Ceramic Disc on one side. In Less than 100 Miles on my Chevelle, my Flywheel had Ceramic Grooves in it (See Photo in one of my Posts Above). This McLeod Ceramic Disc wearing is unacceptable unless your Chevelle is being Raced. I am very easy on my Clutches. When I had installed my T56 Transmission, I went to the McLeod 6911-07 RST Twin Disc Clutch 26 spline / 11" using a McLeod 460122 / 22 lb Flywheel 2 pc seal (fits 1955-86 SMB / BBC). This Twin McLeod Setup is Decent, but it does not feather out as nice as my 2008 Corvette that came with a single disc setup when you first let out the clutch. This is why I recommend a Single Disc McLeod Setup which is more cost effective for the Chevelle Owner.

Here are some articles on the Tremex TKX 5 Speed =

1964-67 Chevelle Summit Silver Sport TKX 5 Speed Kit is $4,100 less $200 Summit Bucks
1968-72 Chevelle Summit Silver Sport TKX 5 Speed Kit is $4,000 and No Summit Bucks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.