T56 6 speed - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Re: T56 6 speed

Yeah, I am aware of the tunnel mod. That Mcleod plate is what I want to use except I believe requires an ls1 style input shaft which I was not sure if it was interchangeable with the LTs, but I pulled it out and counted the teeth tomight. A ls1 input will work and so will the Mcleod plate, as well as the aluminum flywheel street twin kit, mechanical linkage, and lakewood scatter shield. Now all I have to do is get Billy at Mcleod to call me back so I can verify part numbers(too darn hard to get a hold of their help). Also it appears 2 of the parts I need from them are 4 to 5 weeks out, man I hope their stuff is worth the hassle, because it ain't cheap either! I can't wait.
Anybody have a used input shaft from an LS series T56 they want to sell me?

'70 Chevelle resto mod...moving backwards...again
'65 Chevelle SS Glacier Grey Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 08, 6:38 PM
Tech Team
David

I did the swap to the T56 in my 70, it will give your right arm a great workout,I'm constantly changing gears, I LOVE IT. I picked mine up for about 600.00, then I had to rebuild it myself. Most of my parts came from ATS and Blumenthal Gear, had to replace 5-6 speed driven gear, the one gear I chipped during tear down.
Went with Howe throw-out and Chevrolet Master Cylinder, Zoom clutch. About 90 miles on car now with everything going great, Changing the Trans fluid tonight to Red Line, now that the trans has got some miles on it.

David
Pro-Touring 70 SS454
496 Big Block/6-Speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 08, 1:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I finally got a hold of Fred at Mcleod and his service was ten fold that of what I had previously received. He was actually very helpful, interested in the project and spent some time making sure everything would work together. If you call Mcleod use ext. #236 and just go straight to Fred, it will save you time and headaches.

I am going with a aluminum flywheel street twin disk clutch for a 454 application (2-10 3/8" disks and 1200hp capacity) 63001b-2c-07, adjustable dowel pins for my Lakewood bellhousing 860-625, a LS1 input shaft for the LT1 T56, a Mcleod adapter plate (4sp bell to T56) 8-207, adlustable ball stud 16908,.

This allows a standard style 26 spline clutch, aftermarket SFI scatter shield, mechanical 4spd clutch pedal/linkage, and of course two extra gears , plenty of holding power with a driveable clutch, and a simple installation. Best combo I could come up with after a weeks research and exploring all options, including machining my own adapter parts, for my application and I have included Mcleod part numbers in case any body wants to run a similar setup (you can sub the clutch for a cheaper one and a stock flywheel). Cost is approx $1500+ a T56 (got mine for $800) $2300 total - $700 (selling M20)- $300( selling LT1 iput , bellhousing and clutch). So for $1300, $300 more than a new twin disk for the M20 and a lot of labor I am getting a T56. It can be done on a budget! If you get an LS1 t56 you can subtract $200 because you won't have to change the input shaft to use the adapter.

Also this will allow me to run lower butt gears to compliment the aluminum flywheel, double overdrives, and awesome exceleration as long as I can shift fast enough with 4.88 rear gears.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 08, 2:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

One more thing. Make sure your donor tranny is a 94-98 (LT1 style from a F body) or a 98 or newer LS style GTOs and Vipers will work but require more changes, although the Viper will put the shifter closer to stock location. Do not get a 93' w/ a 29 tooth input ( you can not swap in the LS style input), unless you want to change the entire gear set, or use an available after market flywheel from Centerforce to use a F body pull style clutch, the stock LT1 bellhousing and input shaft, but requiring a hydraulic clutch conversion in which case an ATS kit is available $250. A Weir aluminum bellhousing/custom hydraulicthrowout bearing kit will also allow the use of a factory clutch, but is not SFI approved, still requires a custom hydraulic clutch conversion and costs about $700 (without mounts for the hydraulics or a clutch). Of course you can buy an aftermarket tranny with a kit, but what is the fun in that?

I will update this thread after it is all done and if any body has any questions feel free to PM me as I have learned a lot through others and will be more than happy to share with you.

post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 08, 4:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Well, it is August 20th and I am still waiting on Mcleod for the clutch that was supposed to be at my door over two weeks ago So no progress yet and there is only a good month of summer left here and then it is liquid sunshine for 9 months. It is supposed to be here on Monday, but who knows.

post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 08, 8:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Dont worry, youll love it, worth every penny.

Have a 97 T56 out of a 3000 mi Trans Am in mine-Stock bellhousing bolts right up, used a Centerforce clutch/flywheel setup (which I now have lightened to about 2830 lbs. with the GM hydraulics. I had to give one good smack under the tunnel in one spot only and wacked an ear off the trans that serves no purpose on our cars. Rest of the tunnel is uncut save for the shifter. Rubber isolators up top are close but I never had a problem. Corssmember was a cake walk. Keisler sells the pieces to make the reverse lights work, etc they are cheap. RIpper shifter is an awesome upgrade also. If you can get the piece from Keisler to activate the revese lockout that will help otherwise it takes a little effort to get it to reverse. Had to use GM PP bolts, if you can find em grab em. Dont use hardware store boilts, I found this one out the hard way. ARP has a listing for the app but trust me they will be LS1 bolts, they are a bot different if I recall. Your choice is GM or GM. No scattershield either....yet.
Got a plain white Hurst 4 speed ball, drilled and tapped it to look stock.

4.11s are perfect.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 08, 12:35 AM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

Hey, how is this swap going?

Ron
'87 Camaro IROC-Z L98
'69 300 Deluxe SS396

Founding member of The CanAm Chevelle Club
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 08, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enganeer View Post
I agree with wills65. I keep flipping back and forth about whether to use the 3.73 or 4.11 gears when I rebuilt my 12 bolt.
you want 4.11 trust me

71 Chevelle SS
383-TKO600
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 8:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Watch the mileage on that used T56, just because it goes into all gears doesn't mean it's good. If it has more than 130K you should consider a rebuild before putting it in. I just did my son's at 160K and the synchros were gone (literally) in the first three gears. It also had some fairly serious wear on the shaft that the forks mount to.

Tom

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 9:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

I swapped from a BW Super T10 to a 1999 T56. Never looked back..

Some details on my '99 T56 swap...

1999 LS1 F Body T56 in my '82 Z28 using a Lakewood scattershield #15015,McLeod adapter plate #8-207 and extended pilot bushing #8-1094.All bellhousing forward clutch components are stock for the '82, albeit aftermarket replacements.Lakewood bell,Lakewood adjustable ball stud,Lakewood HD clutch fork #15500, Centerforce DF clutch, Hays steel flywheel, and ARP bolts throughout.I then made my own spherical rod end clutch linkage pushrods (years ago) , and reinforced the z bar (gussets).

Bell back I have the McLeod adapter plate, then the '99 T56 with a Pro 5.0.

I built my own crossmember from scratch to leave ample room for the head pipes (of the y pipe) to better "tuck" under the car off of the Hooker long tube headers.

This was my swap from the factory Borg Warner Super T10 my car came with.

I have the added driveability the T56 offers, and even if I pop a clutch it will only run me around $250-300 to replace, and I kept it mechanical! Lost the unique factor of having the one year only 4 speed car, but the added drivability is worth it!

I run 3.73's in my 12 bolt, but will be going 4.11 soon!
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 09, 9:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
John

Did want to add an important FYI to my previous post!

Watch the clearance between your clutch disc hub and the extended pilot bearing!!!!!!

I didn't upon initial install and the pilot bearing was forcing the center of my disc out so that it could not fully seat against the flywheel...needless to say in a few short miles I had a badly glazed disc & flywheel! I grinded the disc hub down on the FW side (was less then 1/8" but watch it), and also v'd out the groove it left in the extended pilot bearing (with a dremel). Now there is plent of clearance and all seems to be well.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 6:36 PM
Bob

I did this swap in September. WOW it's great! We ( my daughter and I ) have a 67 Supersport real 138 car, the orginal engine and trans are long gone, the 12 bolt is thing orginal to the car. I had the T-56 for about 2 years it was bought for a project car on e-bay, 94-97 F body car. I contacted the Gear box (734.793.0727) for the plate and longer imput shaft to be able to the stock clutch linkage. I did have to do some transmission tunnel surgury, but it wasn't too bad. We are using the stock automatic console and a hurst shifter handle. On the table right now is changing out the 3:08 posi gears and move on up to 4:11's. The engine is a date coded 427 30 motor. It's so much fun to drive. My daughter (12yrs old) can't wait to drive it.

Last edited by D&S 67 Supersport; Feb 13th, 09 at 7:54 PM.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&S 67 Supersport View Post
I contacted the Gear box (734.793.0727) for the plate and longer imput shaft to be able to the stock clutch linkage.
Can I ask what they charged you for the longer input shaft?
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 9:59 PM
Bob

WWW.thegearbox.org is the web site. The imput shaft is 178
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 8:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&S 67 Supersport View Post
WWW.thegearbox.org is the web site. The imput shaft is 178
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6 speed , swap info , t56 swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3168 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.