Option for Pinion Angle - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 20, 9:02 PM Thread Starter

Option for Pinion Angle

I have a 67 chevelle with a 496 Vortec pro that is lowered two inches and I just installed a 4l80E transmission. The Angles were to steep so I cut the tunnel and now I'm able to raise the transmission. I have a few options below and I wanted to know which you think is the best for a Strong street car with street slicks. I have SPC adjustable rear control arms with delran sockets so I'm thinking it should only need an additional 1 or 2 degrees of negative rear Pinion angle to account for the rear pinion moving upward during hard acceleration. I have put three examples setting the transmission at -1.7 and three examples for the transmission at -2.4 degrees accounting for additional negative pinion angle.

transmission tailshaft -1.7 , driveshaft -3.1, rear pinion +1.7 Goal during hard acceleration
transmission tailshaft -1.7, driveshaft -3.7, rear pinion + .7 1 degree down for acceleration
transmission tailshaft -1.7, driveshaft -4.4, rear pinion + 0 1.7 degree down for acceleration

transmission tailshaft -2.4 , driveshaft -2.8, rear pinion +2.4 Goal during hard acceleration
transmission tailshaft -2.4, driveshaft -3.0, rear pinion +1.4 1 degree down for acceleration
transmission tailshaft -2.4, driveshaft -3.3, rear pinion + .5 1.9 degree down for acceleration

So how much additional negative rear pinion would you think I need? 1 or 2 degrees?
Which example would you think would work best?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 7:09 AM Thread Starter

Re: Option for Pinion Angle

sorry my numbers got condensed in the above post.

transmission tailshaft -1.7 , driveshaft -3.1, rear pinion +1.7 ....................Goal during hard acceleration
transmission tailshaft -1.7, driveshaft -3.7, rear pinion + .7 ...................1 degree down for acceleration
transmission tailshaft -1.7, driveshaft -4.4, rear pinion + 0 ...................1.7 degree down for acceleration

transmission tailshaft -2.4 , driveshaft -2.8, rear pinion +2.4 ....................Goal during hard acceleration
transmission tailshaft -2.4, driveshaft -3.0, rear pinion +1.4 .................. 1 degree down for acceleration
transmission tailshaft -2.4, driveshaft -3.3, rear pinion + .5 ....................1.9 degree down for acceleration
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 10:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David Estes

Garage

Download the Tremec app on your phone. It works great.

Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start again??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 10:44 AM
Tech Team
Troy

I'm into drag racing, so just curious.

Do you need to allow for pinion gain in the four link style rear ends as opposed to a leaf spring car that allows the differential to rotate when power is applied?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

from what I have read you should allow 1 or 2 degrees for a 4-link.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 20, 11:18 AM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsheaffer View Post
from what I have read you should allow 1 or 2 degrees for a 4-link.
I wonder if that changes with solid delrin style bushings vs factory style rubber bushings.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 20, 2:01 PM
Tech Team

The '91 Fox body Mustang in the picture has a 4 link with solid bushings. I set 1% down and it worked great. In a 4 link rubber bushings will compress under hard acceleration. Prior to the 1% down it had wheel hop.

Chas

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in