• 1 Post By senna
  • 1 Post By Alwhite00
  • 1 Post By big gear head
  • 2 Post By big gear head
  • 2 Post By cage2592

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Anyone know how this compares on a GM rear end?

Anyone know if there is a difference from the axle centerline to the center of the u-joint towards the front of the car between a 10/12 bolt chevy and a 9" ford? I know the ford is lower - Looking for the fore/aft dimension.

I'm just wondering if I need a new driveshaft.
Attached Images

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 1:29 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: Anyone know how this compares on a GM rear end?

Anytime the ring gear diameter is increased the centerline of the pinion is lowered.

I believe depending on the yoke used 10 an 12 bolt rear ends can use the same drive shaft.

I have no input on a Ford 9 inch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 1:51 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Speaking of drive shafts, what do you have now?

If you're still using the factory shaft with 1310 U joints and you switch to a 12 bolt, where is the weakest link now?

A drive shaft failure can be way more catastrophic than a differential failure

Just food for thought. I know that snowball just keeps getting bigger.

Kirk's67SS likes this.

66 CHEVELLE

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 2:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Just FYI - I am looking to go from a 10 bolt to a 9" and wondering if the existing driveshaft will work.
427L88 likes this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 2:31 PM
Team Member
Gene

You may have to measure yourself, or get the dimensions direct from a manufacturer of 9"s off their blueprints. Axle centerline to centerline of ujoint in yoke. Which you may have to do yourself for the GM unless someone has, and jotted it down.

PS I have a Denny's HD and "foolishly" leave greaseless 1310s in for the weak link. Safety loop for sure. And it does chew them up, esp the rear. ( which I dont have a loop for hut could easily weld one in near the mongo mufflers) !)

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 2:32 PM
Tech Team
Troy

I just googled it. It gets a little confusing, but could possibly work.

Are you having a rear end built or buying a used unit?

66 CHEVELLE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 20, 2:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

There are different length yokes for the 9 inch, so depending on which yoke you use, your drive shaft may be close or it may be a few inches off. I used the long car yoke for a while in mine with the stock drive shaft. It's best to measure and do the math. That way you don't get into trouble and possibly destroy your car.
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 8:51 AM
Tech Team
Roman

So no one knows the answer to the original question?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Even if you knew the dimension it wouldn't help a lot because of the lower pinion center line. When you lower the pinion it will increase the length required for the drive shaft. The only way to know what length of drive shaft you need is to put it together and raise the rear end to ride height and measure. http://www.strangeengineering.net/wp...Order-Form.pdf
Malibu ss 64 and Kirk's67SS like this.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 11:38 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Even if you knew the dimension it wouldn't help a lot because of the lower pinion center line. When you lower the pinion it will increase the length required for the drive shaft. The only way to know what length of drive shaft you need is to put it together and raise the rear end to ride height and measure. http://www.strangeengineering.net/wp...Order-Form.pdf

Yes Sir Freddie. On the 70 a few months ago I went from a 10 bolt to 9". 9" pinion is almost 1"inch lower and 1.25" shorter. As you stated, exact reason why I waited to measure for a new shaft after the rear install. Too many variables to just go off measurements. For example if going off just measurements would have required about 1.5-2" longer drive shaft. My 70 is lowered 3" (another reason why I like the 9" lower pinion) in the rear which moved the rear end higher in the fender well ultimately pushing my original shaft (if bolted to the rear pinion) forward towards the Trans. Also, since going with a bigger engine and the 9", I went with 1350 joints. All that combined and pinion angle set, I ordered a shaft only 5/8 longer. Stance will also play a part.

As stated by Freddie, get the rear and install. Adjust for Trans to rear pinion angles and with the car fully weighted on the floor, THEN MEASURE.

Mike
Kirk's67SS and big gear head like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 2:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Yes, the pinion angle must be set correctly before measuring for the drive shaft. Changing the pinion angle can make a bid difference in the drive shaft length.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 20, 2:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

depending your current trans yoke , a longer yoke might be available so original driveshaft could be retained
But due to the number of variations of Ford pinion yokes, you cannot determine this length without all installation complete and measured exactly as mentioned previously

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in