TH400 issues - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

TH400 issues

Just took my ss396 th400 our for a shakedown run after purchasing it last week. Give it full throttle and it ran like a bat out of hell! Then I lost all gears except for park. It won’t even go into reverse. I smelled the fluid, it seems fine, not burnt. Could it be the torque converter? The 396 is from a 69 Camaro. I’m not sure if the th400 is original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 10:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: TH400 issues

I have to ask. Did you check the fluid level with it in park and the engine running?
69Chvll likes this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 11:08 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Sounds like either shifter selector shaft came loose or manual valve link fell off...both are inside the pan....or it stripped the splines out of the input shaft/forward drum, broke the tip off the input shaft in the converters turbine spline....or you have a pump/pump drive problem.
With a transmission pressure gauge, you could test pressure in each gear.....it is doesn't change when manually selected into different gears either the manual valve isn't connected or the front pump has a problem that could be converter lug contact not good enough or drive lugs broke in the pump gear.

At a bare minimum without a gauge, you could unhook a trans cooler line, place it in a jug, and start the car and see if the pump is even moving fluid.

It was previously mentioned in the post above, check the fluid level for sure.....if good, and you can't get a pressure test, looks like you need to dive into the pan and it that shows nothing wrong you'll be pulling the unit for internal inspections.

Park is simply another neutral gate in the manual valve, combined with a shutter wheel and pawl on the output shaft to lock it in place.
69Chvll likes this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
I have to ask. Did you check the fluid level with it in park and the engine running?

First gear was a bit slippy, so I added a quart and a half and it drove pretty nice without slipping to the gas station. About 2 miles from home I decided to floor it. Man! This 396 screams! The Elco looked like a speedboat! That’s when the transmission lost all gears.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericnova72 View Post
Sounds like either shifter selector shaft came loose or manual valve link fell off...both are inside the pan....or it stripped the splines out of the input shaft/forward drum, broke the tip off the input shaft in the converters turbine spline....or you have a pump/pump drive problem.

With a transmission pressure gauge, you could test pressure in each gear.....it is doesn't change when manually selected into different gears either the manual valve isn't connected or the front pump has a problem that could be converter lug contact not good enough or drive lugs broke in the pump gear.

At a bare minimum without a gauge, you could unhook a trans cooler line, place it in a jug, and start the car and see if the pump is even moving fluid.

It was previously mentioned in the post above, check the fluid level for sure.....if good, and you can't get a pressure test, looks like you need to dive into the pan and it that shows nothing wrong you'll be pulling the unit for internal inspections.

Park is simply another neutral gate in the manual valve, combined with a shutter wheel and pawl on the output shaft to lock it in place.

I’m going to open up the pan and check it out! I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s a clogged filter and a bad converter. First I’m going to check the trans lines to see if any fluid is flowing.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 2:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

In my experience, failed converters make lots of metal-crunching noises. Not convinced the converter is your problem.
69Chvll likes this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 3:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia69 View Post
In my experience, failed converters make lots of metal-crunching noises. Not convinced the converter is your problem.

I hear a whining noise when I put it in gear, that’s about it.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 3:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

push/pull on the shift shaft where it enters trans, should be no movement. If it moves , the finishing nail that retains the shaft to the case is missing and the connecting link has come off.
Next likely is splines in convertor and/or the splines on input shaft are stripped
Iff you have to remove trans , make sure the stator splines(fixed spline on ft -part of pump) are blued-heat treated. If not, replace pump with hardened spline version. That spline would wear on the early units
69Chvll likes this.

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 4:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Chvll View Post
I hear a whining noise when I put it in gear, that’s about it.

I am by NO means a transmission guy, but I am wondering if your pump failed. Buy or borrow a transmission pressure gauge, do a search on where and how to check pressures - it's not at all difficult.

Unless you see something obvious and simple to correct when you pull the pan, I see no way around pulling the transmission for inspection and rebuild.
69Chvll likes this.

Mike

69 Chevelle 496/TH400
ET/Speed - 11.371 @ 117.23 - SOLD JUNE 2017

1965 Chevy Impala 355/TH350 - NEW RIDE JUNE 2017

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 6:53 PM
Tech Team
John

"Just took my ss396 th400 our for a shakedown run after purchasing it last week."

" I hear a whining noise when I put it in gear, that’s about it"

It sounds like you just bought the car. Was the tranny serviced? Rebuilt?

If you can feel the detent when manually shifting it the linkage is probably ok. The whining noise can be caused by a lot of things.

I would drop the pan and check the filter pick up tube first and go on from there. See what's in the base of the pan also.

Just my .02c worth

John
69Chvll likes this.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 7:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Check the fluid not running & running see if it drops.
69Chvll likes this.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric Weingartner, Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
11.93 @ 112.7 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 7:22 PM
Senior Tech Team

It ain't a clogged filter!
69Chvll and 71350SS like this.

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 8:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Looking forward to wrenching and checking it out. Thanks guys!

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 6:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul bell View Post
It ain't a clogged filter!

I pulled the return line to the transmission from the radiator and it shot out a bunch of fluid, so I would guess the filter and the pump are ok. I’m going to put it on the lift and pull the pan next.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 20, 7:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTJOHN View Post
"Just took my ss396 th400 our for a shakedown run after purchasing it last week."

" I hear a whining noise when I put it in gear, that’s about it"

It sounds like you just bought the car. Was the tranny serviced? Rebuilt?

If you can feel the detent when manually shifting it the linkage is probably ok. The whining noise can be caused by a lot of things.

I would drop the pan and check the filter pick up tube first and go on from there. See what's in the base of the pan also.

Just my .02c worth

John

Pickup filter tube felt loose. I’m not sure what issues that would cause. I’m going to tighten it back up to see if that helps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in