• 1 Post By big gear head
  • 5 Post By 1966_L78
  • 1 Post By RAIDER SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 4:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
What lube for axle bearings and seals, and axle splines?

Just put new bearing and seals in my rearend, and I a ready to slide the new Moser axles.

What should I use on the seals? Should I pack anything in the bearings?

Should I put some on the axle splines?

I have this stuff, but I am thinking it’s the wrong stuff

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64E181FC-B27C-4204-AE40-85B1E18DBFFC_1593460930097.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	631540  

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 4:22 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Garage
Re: What lube for axle bearings and seals, and axle splines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Just put new bearing and seals in my rearend, and I a ready to slide the new Moser axles.

What should I use on the seals? Should I pack anything in the bearings?

Should I put some on the axle splines?

I have this stuff, but I am thinking it’s the wrong stuff

Thanks
DO NOT USE THE ROUND-UP!! Just kidding,I normally just use the axle lube to coat everything in the assembly.I feel that when you run in the rear end on the jack stands all moving parts will be lubed as required,with the axle lube.The seals will have the lube on them for start up also.Never had a problem.Good luck,Tom.. P.S. like your choice of chevelle,1966.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 4:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bart

Garage

If its a GM Positraction you will need the GM additive also.

69SS Daytona yellow
L35, M-20, 3.73

"AC's 2 by 75...... you roll'em down & drive

"Time treats everybody like a fool"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 5:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Just put gear oil on the seals and squirt it into the bearings as you rotate them. No need to put anything on the splines.
LeoP likes this.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 5:23 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
Yes, I have the posi traction additive...

Okay, so Ill just take the stinky 85-90w gear oil and squirt some into the bearings, roll them around, and then smear some around the lip of the seal...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1593465665030.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	631546  

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 7:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage
How much gear oil for a 12 bolt? Is it more than a quart?

Just figured it would be easier to pour the majority and the additive before I put the cover on... then I’d only need to top off once installed...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 8:13 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Roughly 2 quarts, plus the additive. Put the additive in either first or after the first quart but before the second.....that way if you get to full just before the last of the second quart doesn't fit, you don't short yourself on additive by trying to add it at the end when it is already full.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 20, 10:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Okay, so Ill just take the stinky 85-90w gear oil and squirt some into the bearings, roll them around, and then smear some around the lip of the seal...
Funny - I used to think gear oil was the WORST smelling thing in a car...…. right up until I changed rear gears for the first time in a Impala I once had. After that successful experience; gear oil doesn't smell bad at all to me now!
LeoP likes this.

66 Malibu......back to life, now with a 427 BB & 4 speed
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 3:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIDER SS View Post
Funny - I used to think gear oil was the WORST smelling thing in a car...…. right up until I changed rear gears for the first time in a Impala I once had. After that successful experience; gear oil doesn't smell bad at all to me now!
It was funny, because my daughter said the garage smelled like eggs... I didn't notice anything, then I realized it must the the gear oil outside...

TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 3:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Harold

the bearings depend on oil from the center to find its way out to the end. I coat the axles as they are installed and fill the pocket around the bearings , and roll the rollers to coat thourghlly .Then I fill/overfill a little if possible. A little messy but worth it. It wouldn't hurt to jack up the left side as high as you can, let it set 5 minutes , then do the right .That will get some oil on all the flow surfaces

New paint -near complete
66 SS 396. now 427
4sp w/GV, AC,PS,3.31 Posi,ft disc,11" r drum
86 Buick Grand National
89 K25 Suburban that I bought new,is new again
And a bunch of other junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in