New Transmission help - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:46 PM Thread Starter

New Transmission help

Hey All,

Can anyone recommend a website or company that sells good transmissions? Looking to buy a 700r4 and see mixed reviews for the TCI streetfigher that I was thinking of buying. Anyone have good luck with TCI or monster transmissions? As always, I appreciate all your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 9:32 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Re: New Transmission help

Hello,

I never . . . ever . . . recommend that anybody purchase an out of town transmission. What do you do if you have a warranty claim on it? Pull it out, ship it (both at your cost and agony), they rebuild it, ship it back to you (shipping you might have to pay) and you put it back in. Who needs that kind of heartache?

Find somebody local and reputable. Ask around, there are good companies. They need your business and you need the ease of a warranty claim.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 10:41 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage
Last year I purchased a super t10 from Summit and it failed due to improper assembly within 500 miles. They shipped me a new one while the bad tranny was still in the car and scheduled a truck to pick up the bad one. I was down for 4 days total. It's not an automatic, I know, but if you purchase through Summit and it has a warranty, they'll take good care of you. Keeping your money local is always a good thing too, if possible.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 8:22 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Last year I purchased a super t10 from Summit and it failed due to improper assembly within 500 miles. They shipped me a new one while the bad tranny was still in the car and scheduled a truck to pick up the bad one. I was down for 4 days total. It's not an automatic, I know, but if you purchase through Summit and it has a warranty, they'll take good care of you. Keeping your money local is always a good thing too, if possible.
Times 2 on Summit and Jegs !

IMO, both are textbook examples of how to run a business.
Kirk's67SS and Schwany like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 8:44 AM
Gold Member
Gene

times 3 what Rick said. One trip to the drag track here, and you;d have the names of all the 700r4 gurus in town in short order. If I lived in the middle of nowhere, then I'd call Summit for "rural delivery".

PS setting up a 700R4 isnt the easiest chore due to tv cable. Nice to have local support if needed.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 9:09 AM
Tech Team
autumngold

times 4,get a local rebuilder and purchase the best rebuild kit you can afford.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 8:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. After much research I found a local guy thats going to build one for me. I feel much better about the decision now, thanks again everyone!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 9:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

James, where are you located?

LS1tech.com supermoderator.
How may I help you?
1971 Monte Carlo SS454-496ci 600hp
1999 Trans Am-500hp
2003 Iszu Ascender XL Limited V8
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 8:13 AM Thread Starter

Philadelphia
paul bell likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 20, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

You can usually get good leads at car shows as well, but they have all been cancelled this year.

I bought a 700R4 out of town 8 years ago. I got real lucky on it lasting and still working I guess. I wouldn't have shipped it back if it failed. The company had a terrible reputation as it tuned out. I would have found a local shop to fix it if it was something I didn't feel comfortable doing myself.

Here's the only valid reason I posted even after you found somebody to build the transmission. If it is not too late one way to get rid of the TV cable adjustment scare is to have the builder put a TCI constant pressure valve body in it. They work and can save your transmission from some of the common TV cable setup errors. I have one in my 700R4, and the only negative I experienced is the build price went up.

'65 Chev El Camino
SBC350/Maybe 400HP @ crank, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 4150 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'67 P-11 Norton
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 8:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

Garage

No local shop would build a 4L80E for my 496. The engine builder recommended TCI, called Ondre at TCI.
I had it overbuilt, just because Ö Have about 10 k on the trans and am happy with it.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 11:14 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwany View Post
You can usually get good leads at car shows as well, but they have all been cancelled this year.

I bought a 700R4 out of town 8 years ago. I got real lucky on it lasting and still working I guess. I wouldn't have shipped it back if it failed. The company had a terrible reputation as it tuned out. I would have found a local shop to fix it if it was something I didn't feel comfortable doing myself.

Here's the only valid reason I posted even after you found somebody to build the transmission. If it is not too late one way to get rid of the TV cable adjustment scare is to have the builder put a TCI constant pressure valve body in it. They work and can save your transmission from some of the common TV cable setup errors. I have one in my 700R4, and the only negative I experienced is the build price went up.
How does that valve body behave? I’m considering it but I heard it really shifts hard in all gears and especially going from Park to Drive or Reverse.

Thanks for the feedback
B52bombardier1 likes this.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 1:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanniziomas View Post
How does that valve body behave? Iím considering it but I heard it really shifts hard in all gears and especially going from Park to Drive or Reverse.

Thanks for the feedback
It may shift too firm for a lot of people. The shifts are really quick and crisp when the transmission is freshly rebuilt with a constant pressure valve body.

It only shifts hard between gears if you set the TV cable up to shift hard. You can set it up to be soft, but I don't think it's that good for the transmission. Firm quick shifts are noticeable when trying to drive slow. When on the gas hard, it's fine IMO. My 700R4 does not shift hard from 3rd to 4th, and never has even when it was fresh. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are firm.

I think it may shift into Reverse or Drive with a noticeable bite, but I never think about it that much. I haven't lost a u-joint in 8 years, so I'm either lucky, have really good u-joints, or it might not be excessively hard, just firm.

Probably not very helpful, but that's all I got.

'65 Chev El Camino
SBC350/Maybe 400HP @ crank, 700R4
Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 4150 MPFI
Global West, QA1, Viking, Wilwood, UMI, ProForged
'67 P-11 Norton
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 3:59 PM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

Using a constant pressure valve body is hard on the pump. The tv cable is designed to control pressure and shift points progressively with load. By using a constant pressure vb,you will have max pressure from park to drive which can be harsh. Reverse shifts are normally at higher pressures anyway, but still may be somewhat harsh for some people. Max pressure shifts from 1-2,2-3,and 3-4 will be firmer, but this is usually acceptable in most performance vehicles. If you have the right person build and setup the transmission including tv cable operation, you don't need the constant pressure valve body. In my opinion, which is based on building and installing several of these units a year, CPVB's are a band aid at best.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 20, 6:24 PM
Tech Team
Pugsy

Setting TV cable is simple.
First thing is the correct geometry correction piece for your brand of carburetor.
Second is to hold the throttle wide open when setting it.

IT IS NOT "ADJUSTABLE". Only set-able.

The final quick check to guarantee the setting is to pop the cable end off the carb. Push the throttle to WOT and then pull the TV cable all the way out. Bring it beside the knob it hooks to on the carb and you'll know if it's correct. It will be right beside it. Give it few snaps in and out at this point to make sure the valve is free and not hanging up. You'll feel it.
If the cable connection is back or forward of the knob it hooks on to, it's not set correctly.
Once this is correct, do not "adjust"......... Hold it, I forgot, there is one adjustment. It's the same as turning the dial on your oven full blast and walking away. Burnt.

If someone else sets it for you, pop it off, do the check above. No tools required. Trust no one.

Watch out for aftermarket TV cables. I had one that was frayed inside the sheath giving me false "feelings" as I pulled it. Toasted the tranny.

PUGSY 69 El Camino, "CURSE" 5.3 Swap, 4L60e, 3:73 Posi
6.0L cam, 4.8L Flat Tops, 243 Heads

Fun, but not fast....14.7 @ 93.2 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in