Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Was working on my Dads 67 chevelle this morning while off of work for the virus. Did some minor tuning and took it for a spin. Its a 4 speed car, M20 and once I got up to speed I noticed a whine at cruise when you hit the throttle a little. Sounds like it is coming from the tranny. Could be from the rearend, but dont think so. Car ****s good and appears to be ok with the shifter and linkage. Clutch engages 1/2 off the floor somewhat. The whine is very similar to the one you get from a M22 as you go through the gearbox. Only does it when you hit the throttle at cruise a little. Goes away if your not on the throttle. Is this a bearing going out?

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CT,USA
Posts: 13,111
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Was working on my Dads 67 chevelle this morning while off of work for the virus. Did some minor tuning and took it for a spin. Its a 4 speed car, M20 and once I got up to speed I noticed a whine at cruise when you hit the throttle a little. Sounds like it is coming from the tranny. Could be from the rearend, but dont think so. Car ****s good and appears to be ok with the shifter and linkage. Clutch engages 1/2 off the floor somewhat. The whine is very similar to the one you get from a M22 as you go through the gearbox. Only does it when you hit the throttle at cruise a little. Goes away if your not on the throttle. Is this a bearing going out?
If the whinning isn't very loud, and is somewhat faint, it might be the driveshaft. Does the car have an aluminum driveshafy by any chance? I had a couple of them on other cars that did that. It's just the nature of the beast with some aftermarket driveshafts.

Were the rear end gears recently changed?

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
BillyGman is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
If the whinning isn't very loud, and is somewhat faint, it might be the driveshaft. Does the car have an aluminum driveshafy by any chance? I had a couple of them on other cars that did that. It's just the nature of the beast with some aftermarket driveshafts.

Were the rear end gears recently changed?
It has the original driveshaft from another 67 in it. New 1330 joints too. They have about 30,000 miles on it as does the tranny.

No, the rear gears at 3:55's. Been there for about 30,000 miles.

The whole driveline has about 30,000 miles on it. Motor has about 15,000 on it.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:56 PM
Tech Team
autumngold
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 880
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Input shaft bearing or pinion bearing.

1970 ls-5 numbers matching
marcrose is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 12:56 PM
Tech Team
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 128
Check the level of the trans gear oil
67ss4spd is online now  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 1:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrose View Post
Input shaft bearing or pinion bearing.

Have thought about this.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 1:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss4spd View Post
Check the level of the trans gear oil
I topped it off last oil change and the car has probably has less than 5,000 miles since this was done. It has been sitting though, but floor is dry.

Will double check it though.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 9:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

If I need Munice parts...where may I get them these days?

My original builder of the tranny is no longer in the business.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 2:42 PM
pete
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 28
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
If I need Munice parts...where may I get them these days?

My original builder of the tranny is no longer in the business.

In no particular order:

https://www.5speeds.com

https://www.4speedconversions.com

New Products | Autogear


No endorsement, just info.

Pete
Aaron likes this.
japete92 is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 7:06 AM
Tech Team
Tyler
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 81
We overhaul diffs all the time and from your description it sounds like a classic ring and pinion whine. Typically a bearing noise will not come and go with throttle. That being said bearing wear can be the cause of the ring and pinion whine if the carrier or pinion has loosened up and altered the contact pattern.
Chebell is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 8:05 AM
Tech Team
Glen
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 708
Garage
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Does it go away in 4th gear?
427L88 likes this.

1968 Chevelle
468 Big Block
Muncie M20 4 Speed
12 Bolt Posi 3.31:1 Gears
glend123 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 9:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by japete92 View Post
In no particular order:

https://www.5speeds.com

https://www.4speedconversions.com

New Products | Autogear


No endorsement, just info.

Pete
Thanks Pete!

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 9:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chebell View Post
We overhaul diffs all the time and from your description it sounds like a classic ring and pinion whine. Typically a bearing noise will not come and go with throttle. That being said bearing wear can be the cause of the ring and pinion whine if the carrier or pinion has loosened up and altered the contact pattern.
Tyler, had guy that can fix either problem ride in it yesterday and he thinks its the pinion bearing, so we will see when he puts it on the rack.

I thought the sound was coming from the tranny....

What does bearing replacement cost?
427L88 likes this.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 9:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1998
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,933
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend123 View Post
Does it go away in 4th gear?
No, you get some whine are you go up through the gears and a faint whine at cruise, but it becomes louder if you step on the throttle some at cruise, you really notice it then.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
Aaron is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 10:34 AM
Gold Member
Gene
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,081
Re: Whining noise in 4 speed or rearend

I used to sinter my 1310 ujoints like this. Ujoints or pinion ( ouch) bearing.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
427L88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome