Muncie 4 speed to a 5 speed with overdrive? 67 SS - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 3:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Pat

Re: Muncie 4 speed to a 5 speed with overdrive? 67 SS

I have the TKO 600 in my 70. Bought it through Silver Sport. They shave the case so it fit in my car with no mods. I run 3.73 gears and it is a nice blend of get up and go and highway friendly. I could go 4.11 but feel it would make 1st gear worthless as I would just roast the tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 3:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Daron, since the price of a 5 speed is around $5500 you would be money ahead by swapping rear gears to a 3.55 or 3.73's from your 4.56 and then adding a gear vendor overdrive to make it highway.With 3.73's and a GV overdrive your highway speed would be with around 2.90 rear gears.That should drop your HW speeds to around 2000 RPM at 65 MPH unless my math was off.
But price wise you're looking at around $3K or less,you just won't have a real 5th gear to shift into.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 4:24 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The T56 mentioned above is $3,200.00 and that is a six speed. The TKO 600 is a 5 speed at $2,600.00. One must add some other items such as clutch, yolk, alter driveshaft but that way one gets to keep the steep gears and avoids the cost of modifying the rear end.
Itís just the Legend that is $5,500.
71350SS likes this.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 4:54 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Another potential option you might want to explore is the Richmond (Doug Nash), non-OD 5-speed. While these are non-OD, they have a deeper 1st gear. And then change your rear gears. This still gives you the off-the-line punch, but with highway friendly rpms in 5th... It also allows the use of the stock driveshaft, etc... When I did my swap, I had to switch to a 26-spline clutch disc (newer clutch so I reused the PP and flywheel) and I had to switch to a TH400 yoke on the driveshaft (but used the stock driveshaft). I ended up picking up a 2-series posi for the 12-bolt and a bare housing, but you could go for a new posi and 3.07 gears...

Still ended up being cheaper than a Tremec, etc swap... and no floor mods...

The problem is, these transmissions aren't available new anymore, need to find a used one, but they have been produced for decades...
GuysMonteSS likes this.

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

Sold

&

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 5:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
The T56 mentioned above is $3,200.00 and that is a six speed. The TKO 600 is a 5 speed at $2,600.00. One must add some other items such as clutch, yolk, alter driveshaft but that way one gets to keep the steep gears and avoids the cost of modifying the rear end.
Itís just the Legend that is $5,500.
Does the OP know about that trans's price or is that too far out of the price range ? I was hoping the TKO was still in that price range but thought that the price of one was over 3500 but if a TKO is still around $2600 then it's still in the running,I would think.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 4l80 when I had the chance,too.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 20, 9:06 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Well the OP was wanting a no tunnel mod transmission. So my understanding is the T56 is definitely tunnel mods and the TKO can have some alterations to the case where it is possible to not have to cut the tunnel. I was lucky and got a Legend when they were a little less $$ but if I were doing it now think I would take my chances with the TKO. That is if the transmission will cover your power output which I believe it is rated for 600 lbs torque.
71350SS likes this.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 20, 7:47 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Not my transmission but someone here may be interested in this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-5-speed.html
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 20, 9:41 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Garage

I ran a TKO600 in my 69 Camaro and I loved it. My car had a healthy 496 with a Ford 9" that had 3:89 gears and that 5th gear was a godsend.

I liked it so much that my buddy decided to install one in his 71 Chevelle. I was shocked that the Tremec fit my Camaro with zero mods but we had to cut away a portion of the trans tunnel to install it into a Chevelle. However that's what was needed and it wasn't difficult. It's not too bad of a job and now that it's in, he loves it.

I sold the Camaro and found my 67 Chevelle and luckily this car has the Legend 5 speed. I've got the receipt from the previous owner and it was over $5500.00, which is a lot more than the Tremec. But the previous owner did state that he didn't have to modify the floors on this car and since it's a real SS car he didn't want to hack it up.

My Chevelle has a 12 bolt with 3:73 gears and I love that combo with a 5 speed. Honestly, I'll never go back to a 4 speed.

Greg

67 Chevelle SS 138 VIN
468 BB, AFR 265CC aluminum heads, Straub custom hydraulic roller cam, Performer RPM intake, Holley 950 carb, Legend LGT700 5 speed, 12 bolt rear with 3:73 gears, UMI suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in