• 2 Post By big gear head
  • 6 Post By 5speeds
  • 2 Post By Tarheel Chevelle
  • 1 Post By Gary Anderson
  • 1 Post By JodysTransmissions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 6:17 PM Thread Starter

Hurst comp plus/ Autogear N case

I have a 70 Chevelle w/ console and an Autogear N case trans. What would be the correct Hurst Comp Plus shifter (part #) for this application?

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 20, 11:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

Re: Hurst comp plus/ Autogear N case

Should be the same as original. If the '70 Chevelle had the 32 spline output shaft and the N also has the 32 spline shaft then there shouldn't be any problems.
427L88 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 2:48 AM Thread Starter

OK thanks, I do have the 32 spline.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 4:15 AM
Senior Tech Team

Output shaft size has no impact on which Hurst shifter you need. The main body is determined by the year & make of the car, while the the installation kit depends on the year the transmission itself.

The type of shifter shafts are the determining factor when choosing an installation kit. Original 69 & up Muncies have side covers with bolt on shafts, while early 63-68 Muncies had studs on the shafts. Hurst made two different arms to fit either version & they are the only difference between the 373-3163 (64-68) & 373-7834 (69-72) installation kits. Either kit will fit in any 64-72 Chevelle chassis, as long as you choose the one for the correct year Muncie.

Because all original 32 output shaft Muncies (70-74) had bolt on shafts, as do the Autogear units, the same shifter combo that works for a 69-72 Chevelle will work on that Autogear trans. So if your car is a 70, you'd need the Hurst 391-8014 shifter body & 373-7834 installation kit.

However, if someone had a '64-68 Chevelle with the correct original Muncie & the proper Hurst set up, they'd have to update their install kit to the 7834 (or at least switch out the shift arms) to fit on an Autogear. The shifter body would remain the same.
68RS/SS likes this.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

Last edited by Pete 67; Jan 16th, 20 at 4:40 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 5:06 AM
Senior Tech Team

Looking over the N case & side cover in photos, the shifter shafts are the upgraded universal design versions that can be used with either shift arm design. Autogear provides an adapter that will allow either arm to bolt to the shaft. Therefore anyone upgrading to the N box can swap over their existing shifter body & installation kits with no new parts needed.

64 2 door Wagon Build thread

67 2 door Sedan LS1 T56

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 20, 8:53 AM
Senior Tech Team
Freddie

The 32 spline extension housing moves the shifter slightly compared to the 27 spline housing.
427L88 and novadude like this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 3:39 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANKEEBILL View Post
I have a 70 Chevelle w/ console and an Autogear N case trans. What would be the correct Hurst Comp Plus shifter (part #) for this application?

Thanx
All chevelle Hurst systems use the same rods and mount plates from 64-72. The arms are keyed different. Since AGE uses shifter shafts keyed for studs DO NOT use the 70 install kit. Because then you have to use adapters. When I build my AGE based units that is my setup. The center offset is for 68-72 the straight offset is for 64-67. The mount plate is universal and works on both 27 and 32 spline tails. There is no difference in position. The only issue with the N series stuff is that the side cover is bulky and prevents factory back up light switches from being used. Use HURST 373-3163 and 391-8014. If you want a super price on this setup which also comes with my tool steel bushings... give me a ring I stock everything for Hurst including rebuild parts

Thanks,

Paul Cangialosi

( Facebook Support )

( Youtube Videos)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 20, 2:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Paul for the clarification.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 20, 10:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speeds View Post
Use HURST 373-3163 and 391-8014.
I use the Hurst 373-3163 install kit as well with most on my new 4 speed style builds.

But, if your '69-'72 Chevelle has the reverse back drive system, you'll need the reverse shift arm from the Hurst 373-7834 install kit.

Paul can set you up with a custom Hurst install kit. I have not been able to find a Hurst 451 styled shift arm for the '69-'72 Chevelle only a 452/453 shift arm, Paul?

Jody Haag

Most 4, 5, and 6 Speed Repairs, Parts, Service & Custom Installations
610-413-8015

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 20, 1:19 AM
Tech Team
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodysTransmissions View Post
I use the Hurst 373-3163 install kit as well with most on my new 4 speed style builds.

But, if your '69-'72 Chevelle has the reverse back drive system, you'll need the reverse shift arm from the Hurst 373-7834 install kit.

Paul can set you up with a custom Hurst install kit. I have not been able to find a Hurst 451 styled shift arm for the '69-'72 Chevelle only a 452/453 shift arm, Paul?
Don't understand. Other than the backdrive extended reverse arm , the arms all have the same physical shape except for the slot. I have all the parts separate.

Thanks,

Paul Cangialosi

( Facebook Support )

( Youtube Videos)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 7:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5speeds View Post
Don't understand. Other than the backdrive extended reverse arm , the arms all have the same physical shape except for the slot. I have all the parts separate.
Paul.....

The Hurst 373-3163 install kit we both frequently use has the small slots but, the reverse arm cannot be used to connect the back drive system like the reverse arm from the 373-7834 install kit. This creates a problem for the 1969-1972 Chevelle.

Do you have an application for a small slot extended reverse arm for the back drive system?

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 8:59 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Too bad you can not upgrade to a LONG (brand) shifter w/o cutting on tunnel, plus losing the console.
427L88 and 540 Olds like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 10:07 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Chevelle View Post
Too bad you can not upgrade to a LONG (brand) shifter w/o cutting on tunnel, plus losing the console.
The gentleman right above your post can make that happen.
427L88 likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 20, 10:56 PM
Gold Member
Gene

I'd like to talk to Jody then. I had a Long on my Richmond RR 5 speed and I LOVED IT. Fit the console and everything. Chris down there says their boxes dont fit console cars anymore as the "bent shifter mount" wasnt holding up, something about the spring? . ???? I truly didnt understand , all I heard was "NO!" He kindly offered to rebuild my Hurst, but I told him its fine as I just popped it apart to clean and relube.

The Hurst Comp Plus is to the factory junk, as the Long is to the Hurst comp Plus. I'd LOVE to be able to run one again on my M23Z. So precise.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 20, 8:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jody

Here's a Long Shifter I modified with the stick on center to fit a 1968-1972 Chevelle with or w/o console. I'm a certified welder, I've never had the modified handle receiver break off!

This is an N series I built for a customer in Texas fitted with my custom twist on a Long Shifter.

It's a hassle doing this mod as Chris at Long could build 5 shifters vs modifying one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jody JTN700 4 Speed.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	615198  
rjt427 likes this.

Jody Haag

610-413-8015

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in