Team Chevelle banner

rearend rant! well yoke issues.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim Mac 
#1 ·
why couldnt gm stick with a single style yoke on a 12 bolt? I think the 1st 12 bolt was a straight bolt in from the 10 bolt with a 1310 yoke. swapped it to another rear and it's got a 1330 yoke. tonight I'm trying to finish up my rearend swap and guess what? the 1310 yoke doesnt fit, the 1330 yoke on the current driveshaft doesnt fit, turns out it's a 3R size yoke!
okay rant over.jim

#4 ·
The ( CRV) 12 bolt rear yoke on my one owner SS 454/M-22 is the " G.M. 9210 ". This is for the standard 1970- 454 -3-R driveline. Around 1972/73 I broke the M-22. I got a 4 speed from a 396 and changed the front yoke//D.Shaft//rear yoke.
After many years the driveline is back to the factory specs. 3-R yoke up front in the M-22--/--O.E.M.--3-R drive shaft--/--9210-(O.E.M.) rear yoke.
The tough item to find was the 3-R driveshaft for the 116" wheel base LS-5--LS-6---M-22 El Camino. The 70- 454/M-22 cars have a I believe around 55-1/2" C to C-- 3-R shaft. El Caminos 3-R shaft is around 59-1/2".
If you own a 1970-LS5/LS-6---M-22 El Camino, TRUST ME,,,,, It took years to find ( O.E.M.) a 3-R shaft that was 59-1/2"long.
A T-Chevelle member " GAVE " me a 3-R driveshaft, He found another one and gave that one too me also. THANX Philip, From AZ ( the wagon master).
TRIVIA: The factory 3-R--"U" joints in 1970 had " NO " grease fittings. The idea was, Solid center cross, Not weakened by DRILLING!
My new 3-R - " U " joints have "NO" grease fittings. Its a detail that most folks will "NOT" see. The rear joint is a 2-way.-#2-1569BF--Frt.-#2-3011BF. ( BF=Brute Force//Thanx Rick N.). For me , It all about the details.
Bob
I must thank Philip, from AZ again, WHY? Philip gave me the SHAFT "once." Then he gave me the shaft the "second" time. This is the first time in my life I got the shaft ( TWICE ) from a FRIEND and was HAPPY about it!....:laugh:

#5 ·
Absolutely correct that the 454 driveshaft has 3R joints, but to be clear, the U-joint at the rear '9210' yoke is a 3R/1330 conversion joint. I assume that's what you meant by "2-way" - 3R on the driveshaft side, 1330 on the 9210 yoke. I just went through this over the summer and I am 100% sure this is right. :)

#6 ·
my driveshaft is a 1310. differential yoke has no tabs 1.125 cups needs the inside clips.
tje u joint on the driveshaft now is a 1310 to 1330 conversion u joint. jim

#7 ·
u joint came in, cheated, popped it out and installed under the car without pulling the driveshaft from the trans. jim

Reactions: LeoP
#8 ·
Its a good deal, NOW, No more " Yoke Jokes ". Just, Think. Holding that long shaft up, Then putting little round things in the small hole in the shaft.
At times , I needed help getting the shaft into place..:wink2:. Now with no grease fittings, Make sure you have lube on the little joints, So they can move and flex with no drag.
After the job is finished, Give it a test " Ride ". If everything is - " OK ".
Wipe the shaft down and put your tools away. NOW, You can go for a ride everyday. Remember, Long rides burn a lot of Fuel. A short quick ride burns less fuel and It lets you know everything is still working, Just Fine.
Be very careful driving home at night from your favorite night spot.
Because:.......... Accidents cause , People....:laugh:
Bob

#11 ·
didnt change the yoke, got the new conversion u joint 3R x 1310 and installed it under the car.

the RU code rear used a 1330x1310 conversion u joint which I kept. who knows the next el camino project might need a 3.31 12 bolt. jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.