Team Chevelle banner

Will a t56/tr6060 from a pullout work in a 70?

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BillyGman 
#1 ·
Ok so Ive been looking into this for about a week now and i cant seem to find the answer. My question is if i buy a pullout from say a 2010 camaro ss that has an ls3 and a 6 spd t56. Will that fit in a 70? Ofcourse with the tunnel modification and engine relocation plates and pan. I just keep seeing guys buy ls engines and then buy a tremec t56. Why not just buy them both as a kit from a pullout?

Thanks!

#3 ·
2010 Camaro transmission ratios are 1st-3.01, 2nd-2.07, 3rd-1.43, 4th-1.00, 5th-0.84, 6th-0.57 fwiw. A ZL1 Camaro has 1st-2.66, 2nd-1.78, 3rd-1.30, 4th-1.00, 5th-0.80, 6th-0.63 which would be more desirable in my opinion. External shifter location will be a problem as tacomatrd indicated.

Reactions: 71454Chevelle
#5 ·
Ok so there is a lot more to it. No wonder no one really does it I just didn’t see anyone mention why. My build is going to most likely end up with boost so the Tremec t56 magnum is the way to go then huh.

Would a junkyard motor with a 4l80 for now be a good setup and go stick later?

Thanks for all the info guys

#4 ·
If you're naturally aspirated, the 2010 TR6060 ratios might be a really nice gearset, depending on your rear gear.

Shifter setup, speedo cable drive, driveline, and fitment are all things you have to work past. Farming these things out 100% will make you wish you got a new Magnum.

The other thing seldom mentioned is bellhousing depth. The Magnum can run an 02 Camaro bell, which is shorter than any GM TR6060 bell. This isn't gone over in depth (pun not intended) on any of the "I want a 6 speed" discussions. But the farther back the trans. is, the more firewall / floor cutting is needed.

The rest has been covered, ad nauseum.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Looks good! I don’t mind the work I just want to know if the shifter will somewhat line up like factory and isn’t too far back. Cause the shifters on the 2010 camaro trans seem like they hang off the back. I seen guys on the Facebook page use the tr6060 and just had a shifter made that will reposition it.

What about the 04-07 Cadillac CTS V? That’s a regular t56 and ls6 engine right? Thanks

#8 ·
The CTS-V was the first remote shifter used on a T56 actually. It is also equipped with a fixed output yoke.

The Magnum has a two-position shifter, plus a shifter can be bought that fits the rectangular "inspection plate" location forward of the shifter. (This location is NOT set up for a shifter on most T56 models.)

#10 ·
You may already know this, but FWIW, the TR6060 is supposed to be more durable, and handle more torque than the T56 is. I blew a T56 with only 11K on it in a 3,700 LB street car with only 530 HP at the flywheel. That's when I switched to the TR6060 Magnum trans, and never had a problem with it. I only bring this up because in my view, if you'll be all that work to the floor and trans tunnel of your car, as well as modify the cross member, then going with a TR6060 would be more worth the work than a T56 would be IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.