Team Chevelle banner

1970 Chevelle Base - rearend

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Slick87gn 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am considering rebuilding my rearend on my 70 base to add posi and 3.55 gears. What is the easiest way to identify what rear I have so that I order the right parts? There is an 8.2 10 bolt and others - a little confusing. Thank you all!

#6 ·
If it's the original rear end then it's the 8.2 Chevy 10 bolt.

THANK YOU ALL! I confirmed with the help of the link and the new book I bought that I do have an 8.2 10 bolt. So...I have been looking at options - :surprise:

Here is my question - Will a rebuilt 8.2 10 bolt with posi (going Yukon if I do this), hold up under less that 400hp and 400lbs of torque? The motor I am building probably won't get over 350hp (maybe 330-340) and will make around 360LBS of torque. I have done online calculations so I think I am in the ballpark. With that said, can I spend the 400 dollars on doing a rebuild, or should I save for a 12 bolt already built? I like to get my hands dirty so I don't mind work, I just don't want to rebuild my rear only to break it with ease :thumbsup:

#9 ·
I’m running a stock 8.2 in my 68. I installed 3.55’s and a Yukon dura grip and stock axles. 27” ish tires and a pretty built 461”. Traction is my weak link and that’s what I wanted and I’ve had no issues so far. I’d assume you’ll be fine; as said, street tires that aren’t super sticky.
I will try and cut down the wheel hop, I am thinking better bushings and good shocks. I will run street tires as well - I want to be able to do some burnouts :)

I am thinking 3.55 is a good middle of the road, good burnouts, and decent manners on the expressway. 3.73 seems like it might be extreme for my application. If you all disagree just let me know.

#8 ·
I’m running a stock 8.2 in my 68. I installed 3.55’s and a Yukon dura grip and stock axles. 27” ish tires and a pretty built 461”. Traction is my weak link and that’s what I wanted and I’ve had no issues so far. I’d assume you’ll be fine; as said, street tires that aren’t super sticky.

#11 ·
1972 with a factory 10- bolt, Yukon Dura grip with Richmond 3:55, new steel axels, seals, all-new poly bushings and quality bearings. Huge difference with the new gears. Mild 350, 4v, mild hyd cam. At minimum look into anti-wheel hop bars. Keep that rear end planted.

Attachments

Reactions: s1nemesis1s
#14 ·
Actually, your right Fred. My original plan was the 3:55's but I changed my mind at the last minute and went with the 3:36 set, still a big difference.

Reactions: s1nemesis1s
#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.