Team Chevelle banner

Torque converter questions

669 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tommy the Cat 
#1 ·
I know a guy who was building a Chevelle and decided to stop the project. He has a 2000rpm Hughes performance torque converter. He is willing to sell it to me for 100 bucks, new in box. Is this worth it considering my setup? I know next to nothing about torque converters, not sure what magic they make happen other than spooling the power to the transmission. Just not sure of the benefits. Should I be looking at my diff instead of worrying about a converter?

Here is what I have:
1970 Chevelle 4 door sedan base

Doing a 350 swap from a 307.

• Hooker Competition Headers 2466HKR

• I got a good 4 bolt main block

882 castings with 1.94 / 1.50 valves

Xtreme Energy 256H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Complete Kit Lift: .447"/.454" Duration: 256°/268° RPM Range: 1000-5200

Rebuild/overhaul master kit with moly rings

• Edelbrock Single-Quad Performer Manifold and Carburetor Kit for Small Block Chevy 1955-1986 - Performer EPS Intake Manifold, 600cfm Performer Series Carburetor

See less See more
#2 ·
I have that same Hughes GM20 2k stall in my th400 behind my 462 BB with a Voodoo 268 cam and 2:73 geared 8.2 10 bolt and it works just fine. for $100 i would buy it, it will work just fine for your build.

Reactions: s1nemesis1s
#3 ·
That's a good buy but I would buy it and put it on the shelf. The trans that's in your car isn't long for the world behind a new 350. When, not if, you toast that transmission the torque converter will go with it. So do you want to waste a decent converter or the stock one?

#5 ·
Unless you foresee 500+ horsepower in your car's future I would stay with the 350. Switching to a 400 means wiring in a kickdown and a different driveshaft. The 400 is a better, stronger transmission but a properly built 350 will take a ridiculous amount of abuse too. Plus you don't have to change anything.

I build my own transmissions but any decent local transmission shop can build you what you need and if you have any problems you don't have to pull it and send it across the country to get it fixed under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.