I dont want to spend the money for a T56

I am going to sell my trans set up on E Bay to offset the cost of the T5 setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 11:42 AM
Tech Team
Ben

m20 4 speed to a t5 5 speed conversion?

Without significant mods, I believe the T5 is a pretty weak tranny. If on a budget and looking to go 5 speed, you may try looking for a McLeod muscle car 5 speed or a Richmond super street ? Either way, they will cost a fair bit more than the T5, but should hold much more power and abuse. With any of those 5 speeds though you’ll be looking at bellhousing, clutch, driveline, shifter, maybe pedal linkage and crossmember mods. Maybe a rear gear change is a better option?
Not trying to deter you from a 5 speed, just maybe from that 5 speed.
Also, what rpms is it running at 70?
427L88 likes this.

No car yet; currently looking for 66-69 project/driver.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 12:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Justin

Garage
McLeod 5 speed is pretty much a bolt in deal. From what I have read the T5 might as well be made of glass.

1974 chevelle with 73 laguna nose sbc 357 Brodix IK180 heads Comp Cams XE274H Edelbrock RPM airgap 650 AED double pumper, M20 muncie, Truetrac with 3.73s

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 11:25 PM

Re: m20 4 speed to a t5 5 speed conversion?

The T5 is less than ideal.

One minor issue is finding one, those trannies aren't just laying around all over the place in every shop's scrap bin anymore, the newest V8 T5 hasn't been made for 27+ years now. If you do find one, it probably won't be as cheap as it should be considering it's drawbacks. If it is cheap, plan on rebuilding the thing.

The biggest problem with them is the case design, they are inherently weak. They're nice trannies, very smooth, good quality build, but they don't hold up to any kind of power. The case is too weak to hold the clutch gear and the counter gear together, so they spread and the gears fail.

Instead of putting yourself through a fruitless endeavor with new problems cropping up every time you turn around, just get an aftermarket 5-speed or a T56.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 19, 11:31 PM
Tech Team
J

I would consider that if I were in your shoes. However:

I wouldn't run anything but a 2.95 first gear GM V8 T5. Any other stock T5 gear set else is a gearing mismatch for a healthy small block. Especially for 3.73s. So if you want it to drive like it should, do that. I prefer the 0.63 5th gear.

The front of the case expands slowly over thousands of miles. The countershaft bearing race hole in the case goes from a circle to an oval. While a Muncie pattern G-force case is readily available (they make it, and a Ford pattern case,) they will do the same thing in 150,000 miles.

The 88-92 F-body V8 trans. has cable speedo drive, a canted transmission mount, and longer total length. The 88-up has multi-surface blocker ring surfaces vs. the earlier design. It will take some work to fit it.

I could go on and on. But a fresh, proper operating condition GM V8 T5 would be an enjoyable driver. If you're going to pluck an S10 box with granny ratios, early synchro design, and VSS-only tail, then you may be disappointed in everything but the shifter position.

If this is a car you intend to keep, do it right the first time so you can enjoy it as much as possible. That may mean saving up for a new T56 Magnum, which is often a really good option, when it comes to finding a core, doing fab work, working with shifter position, etc. on the older production stuff.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 19, 1:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

i would look into a tremec 5-speed trans
a .68 or .80 overdrive is nice

68-Malibu 427bbc/t4oo/3.73-12bolt/pro charger f1-r
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 19, 12:23 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Why not just leave the M20 and change the rear to 3:08???
the heckler likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 19, 12:31 PM
Tech Team
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 136379G
Why not just leave the M20 and change the rear to 3:08???
He outlined it pretty well in post #1. 3.73 may be an ideal gear ratio for his engine, other than highway. Why should he cut off his car's legs?

OD transmission demand will continue to outpace 4 speeds and 3spd autos in the aftermarket.

If you enjoy a car, and you built it so it can be a DD and fast, you're leaving a lot on the table by gearing compromise. A 3.08 rear is exactly that. An S10 T5 is that. A 4 speed is that.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 19, 1:10 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

My 2 cents would be to with the Richmond super street. Everything from the Super Street crosses over to the Muncie except the clutch disc and the yoke for front of driveshaft. The Richmond trans is rated for 600 lbs torque, so if more engine power is produced no trans worries. Super Streets are a little harder to come by but have been around for many years so they are available. Also no tunnel mods with the Richmond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in