Team Chevelle banner

correct yoke for my 2004R

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  scottscheffer55 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I hope everyone had a great holiday and is wrenching away on their restomods (or getting together with more relatives - whichever makes you happier.)
I have a 67 El Camino, and have slightly tweeked a gen 1 350 for it. I decided to go with the 200 4R overdrive trans and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to go about getting the correct yoke for the front of the drive shaft. The number of teeth don't match but the length of the driveshaft and everything else is find.
I bought a used driveshaft out of a mid to late 80s Buick after counting the teeth. The yoke slid into the trans nicely, but it turns out not to fit the driveshaft. Does anyone know a good model to get one from? Or (I've never swapped a yoke from one driveshaft to another) is it just more practical to go to a Chevy parts place and buy a new one?
Thanks much,
Scott

#2 ·
What was the original trans? The yoke is the same for a TH 350, Powerglide or a 3-4 speed.

#3 ·
First, you have to find out which u-joint type you have on your driveshaft (since you are re-using a driveshaft from a different car.)

Know How Notes: U-Joint Guide - NAPA Know How BlogNAPA Know How Blog

Next, you want a 27 spline GM slip yoke with the same u-joint type you have on your driveshaft so you don't have to use a conversion u-joint to connect the two.

The other choice is, you already have a slip yoke you say fits, but doesn't fit your driveshaft. You could use it with a conversion u-joint.

#4 ·
There are 4 u-joints you'll generally find on GM passenger cars.
1310, 1350, 1330 with external clips, and 3R with internal clips.

Google up dimensions on those. Figure out what you have.

There are conversion u-joints (to mate a 1310 driveshaft yoke and 1330 slip-yoke, for esample) or you could get a 27 spline GM yoke that has the same yoke style/size as the driveshaft.

#5 ·
the Buick had a 3R u joint -inside lock rings, plastic retained originally. GM used the same style after 80/81. 27 spline fits everything except 400

#6 ·
Well thank you all for the guidance. I think a Christmas miracle came early for me. I looked on Facebook Marketplace and there was the split yoke I needed. Strange because as much as I peruse craigslist, offerup, FB Marketplace, ebay and letgo, I don't think I remember seeing a split yoke for sale - much less one for my car! I contacted the guy and asked him for all the dimensions and first he sent me a thumbs down, but then he sent me pics of him holding his electronic caliper measuring everything. Sure enough that was it and for $20! I bought it, put it together, and now I'm on to the next challenge.
Again, thank you all and have happy holidays.
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.