Team Chevelle banner

Powerglide From Column to Floor Shift

896 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  dyno jonn 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 64 2 dr sedan project. It has a later model 350 (69 I think) and an aluminum powerglide. What is involved in converting fom the column shift to an original console and floor shifter other than the obvious parts. Any mods to the transmission necessary?

#2 ·
If you plan on using a 64 factory floor shifter, the linkage arm coming out of the trans will have to be changed at the same time. That means removing the pan to change the assembly. Other than that, nothing else would need to be changed.

#4 ·
After looking in a Chevrolet factory parts manual, I see that I may have been wrong about having to change the shaft. It would be best to find another Chevelle and take a close look at the transmission and linkage first. I did find a part listed in the Chevy parts book under group 4.045, for 65 to 67 Chevelle that is listed for floor shift arm connection. Part number is 3842090, which is the same as a 67 Camaro, and Heartbeat City sells a reproduction. Not sure if 64 is the same as 65 to 67 though.

3842090 at Heartbeat City -> heartbeatcitycamaro.com/17862/1967-Camaro-Transmission-Gear-Selector-Lever-For-M35-Powerglide-Trans

See their note that says a picture is shown in factory assembly manual in section UPC M35-A8

Good luck.

#6 ·
No clue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.