Team Chevelle banner

1970 Chevelle Base - Transmission

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  71350SS 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I just bought a blue 1970 Chevelle "Base." Has manual steering lol - that is going to change:) I am still learning about them. It has some minor rust in the front fenders, I guess I will replace those, and some minor rust in the rear quarter - above the wheel wells it is clean though. I paid $2800.

Anyways - what transmission did my car come with? It is an automatic - but I keep reading about a Powerglide and TH350. My car has the 307 in it and a 2bbl carb.

I am thinking about swapping in another motor, and from my understanding the TH350 bolts up to about anything LOL.

Thanks for having me! Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
if the lower front fender has the typical rust, I'd just get those repaired. I've seen how nicely some of the repop front fenders fit. I'm not a picky person yet I can clearly tell a repop. jim

Reactions: s1nemesis1s
#6 ·
Without a build sheet, it will be difficult to tell which transmission. Being it is probably a column shifted car, a TH350 will have D-2-1. A powerglide will have D-L.

Reactions: s1nemesis1s
#15 ·
Welcome to TC but WAIT before you order any P/S gear as there are much better upgrades available if you do a little research in the BRAKES and SUSPENSION forum.Read up about the Jeep Grand Cherokee swap or the other P/S swaps available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.